Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 04-20-2004, 04:56 PM   #1
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:47 PM   #2
Raith

I have to admit, you have a very good point.

MUDing has improved my grammer and vocabalary (ok, so the spelling errors are jokes..) . I started when I was 12, and from roleplaying and building you just pick up more words to add to your own vocabulary.

Elementary Recess should be replaced with MUDing Hour!

....Just joking.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:46 PM   #3
7roc7

7roc7 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Not that this will help to improve your education too much, although it would help if you plan on persuing any sort of career in the computer business, but MUDding has helped me to type faster without making too many mistakes(providing I know how to spell the word/s) and also without looking at the keyboard. Instead of the old days in junior high, looking at the keyboard and reaching a max words per minute of 15, I can now type, on good days, around 80 words per minute without looking at the keyboard. Goes to show you what a big help MUDs can be. Of course, my vocabulary and grammar have also improved.
7roc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:04 PM   #4
Angie

Home MUD: God Wars II
Angie is on a distinguished road
I have learned a lot about other countries from people who actually live there, which is so much better than learning from books. And since I didn't know anything about coding when I became an immortal, I owe all my coding knowledge to muds as well. That's two more subjects, geography and computing!
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:09 PM   #5
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:40 PM   #6
erdos

The act of reading and writing for massive amounts of hours will naturally hone one's mind--

But beware, don't follow my mistake.
Starting college at 14 and knocking out calc1-3/linear alg/discrete math by 16, i had a very good potential; but then i got over-involved in mudding and for about half a decade neglected all else.  So the moral is, MUDding is way more enlightening than watching **** on TV, but ultimately it's just another diversion.

On a more positive note, by coding MUDs I self-taught myself C to a level quite beyond what most comp prog undergraduates know, entirely self-taught.  Still not worth the sacrifice though.  (Would my life be better if I had made different choices then?  Who knows.  Regret is a very presumpive emotion.)
Old 04-22-2004, 12:02 AM   #7
Earthmother

Home MUD: GateWay MUD
Earthmother is on a distinguished road
Like Erdos, I found myself overly involved with mudding, and watching 10 years of my life pass me by. That said, I don't blame MUDding for that, because I made the personal choice to become deeply involved in an online life.

I do agree that Mudding is educational, however. Here are some of the things I've learned:

How to type.

How to treat people kindly and respectfully, regardless of their education level, age, political affiliation, country of origin, or other general categories of difference to myself.

How to recognize opinions from facts, and how to seek citations to back either of them up.

That the world is bigger than I ever imagined, and there are interesting people with interesting views all over it.

That people are willing to invest substantial time, effort, and emotion into things that many consider "just games".

That there are generous, kind people who do volunteer work because it interests them, and even when recognition of their work is scant to nil, they will keep at it anyway, even when the people they are working for are thankless and unkind.

That there are many solutions to any problem, and I don't always have the best one.

That anger and emotional pain can be caused by words alone, and if it is absolutely necessary to divest myself of these things, it is better to do it in private than in public.

And...

That the world, for better or worse now, includes the Internet. It is a reality, a tangible thing, and people live 'in' it as well as in RL. The genie is out of the bottle, so to speak, and MU*s, boards, chatrooms are real people connecting in a real way. Online life is now a part of Real Life, and the distinction and separation are not always as clear as people want them to be.

There are a lot of other things I've learned as well...this list could go on and on. But a lot of the things I've learned via mudding are things I've learned with my heart as well as with my head. Life lessons, if you will.

Maybe one of the most important things I've learned is this: RL comes first. Even when I don't want it to, even when I've backburnered everyone and everything in RL, it still comes first. I've learned to respect that, for myself and my fellow gamers.

I just felt compelled to post here, because I've learned a lot by mudding. I don't know that I could explain what I've learned to non-MU*er folks...but, I can relate to them much more maturely IRL because of my online experiences. I'm grateful for that.
Earthmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:19 PM   #8
SolViLune

SolViLune is on a distinguished road
SolViLune is offline   Reply With Quote

Who said that Mudding isn’t educational? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How old were you when you started MUDding? erdos Advanced MUD Concepts 27 03-10-2007 04:17 PM
Python and mudding Brawndel MUD Coding 5 06-18-2006 02:25 PM
How I got into Mudding Introduce Yourself 5 01-21-2004 06:12 AM
MUDding without the D always_wondering Tavern of the Blue Hand 2 04-07-2003 04:12 AM
Colorfull MUDding funkalicious Advanced MUD Concepts 51 02-17-2003 03:17 PM