Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 10-04-2002, 09:27 PM   #1
rhakshai

rhakshai is on a distinguished road
Something on the P2P post was said about Diku mudding and whether or no it was the great ancestor of modern mudding. This got me curious so i decided to make a new topic and ask, how exactly did mudding get started, and where do the better-known codebases like diku, aber, smaug, or lp fit on the timeline? How did mushing get started, and when was the split made between various MU*s?

To my knowledge, mudding started on ye olde BBSs, when you still had to dial into the host computer yourself at phenomenal cost, since commercial isps and the world wide web itself were still pipe dreams. I thought that Essexmud was if not the great granddaddy of muds, than at least one of them, but I could be wrong.

If anyone could help me out, or better yet direct me to some mud history resources, I'd be most appreciative.

Oh, btw...if you've never read the book "Cybergypsies," go get it, it rocks. It's about a guy named Bear (the author) and his real life entwined with his life on the mud Shades (which still exists, btw, as does the Vortex, the other mud he talks about at length). The sordid tales will remind you of your own mud experiences and they will scare you.
rhakshai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 11:17 PM   #2
tresspassor

tresspassor is on a distinguished road
You could check out the the Mud Timeline

That's not the mud timeline i've seen before, i cant remember the url, i'm sure someone will post the more common one soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by
To my knowledge, mudding started on ye olde BBSs, when you still had to dial into the host computer yourself at phenomenal cost
Maybe it was just my area, but I don't remember ever paying to connect to a bbs. *shrug* then again the only BBS in my town back then was run by some college guy.
tresspassor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 01:30 AM   #3
the_logos

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by (tresspassor @ Oct. 04 2002,11:17 pm)
That's not the mud timeline i've seen before, i cant remember the url, i'm sure someone will post the more common one soon enough

Maybe it was just my area, but I don't remember ever paying to connect to a bbs. *shrug* then again the only BBS in my town back then was run by some college guy.
www.legendmud.com/raph/gaming/mudtimeline.html

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 01:54 AM   #4
kaylus1

A few notes on the Timeline, i'm not sure where the one you are talking about is, but I have seen it before. The one you just linked to in the last message is best used as a rough guideline.

Somewhere in the history of Muds as happens in the history of alot of things, it got exaggerated whether it be on that list or in the creators of muds. You will always have differing opinions. Though you can do about as good by looking for "mud timelines" "diku timelines" "abermud timelines" "lpmud timelines" on Google. You will usually find everything before about Abermud corresponds well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Where did you live? I remember my first bunch of BBS' were free. (remember the c64! Then after switching to PC I  logged on to one called Gumbyland. It was running MajorBBS with 6 nodes to chat from, online multiplayer games and was 10$ for 600 credits (minutes of BBS time). Then they started popping all over the place, chat boards. Plus we had a few long distance ones that offered Mud type games "Dungeons and Dragon type BBS, with 100's of different places to explore, foes to vanquish and more." Heh. Plus we had the routine bunch of Kiddie BBS' the hacker's of the time.

Kaylus@Solice

[Edit] The poster above meant to shoot this link: http://www.legendmud.org/raph/gaming/mudtimeline.html [!Edit]
Old 10-05-2002, 02:05 AM   #5
the_logos

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by (kaylus1 @ Oct. 05 2002,01:54 am)
A[Edit] The poster above meant to shoot this link: http://www.legendmud.org/raph/gaming/mudtimeline.html [!Edit]
Whoops, yes I did. Sorry about that, and thanks for the correction.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 05:22 PM   #6
rhakshai

rhakshai is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by (tresspassor @ Oct. 04 2002,11:17 pm)
I didn't mean paying for the BBSes, I meant the cost was for the actual dialing in...no isp to take the brunt of the damage when you call a BBS in say, Hungary.

And fyi, my 'ye olde' was me teasing, because while I'm sure there are those here who remember BBSes (it's the not-so-distant past after all), I'm only 20. *grin*

Thanks for the timelines folks.
rhakshai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 11:22 PM   #7
Enzo

Enzo is on a distinguished road
MUDING WAS CREATED BY THOSE TOO LAZY TO STICK WITH INSTANT MESSENGING.... *looks around innocently and walks off*
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 01:29 AM   #8
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum
Quote:
Originally Posted by (rhakshai @ Oct. 05 2002,5:22 pm)
And fyi, my 'ye olde' was me teasing, because while I'm sure there are those here who remember BBSes (it's the not-so-distant past after all), I'm only 20.  *grin*
Wow, after looking at all those Mu*'s on the timelines, it amazes me how many different ones I remember playing on at some point.

I remember how fun it was playing the different online games on the BBS's back in the late 80's.  My first BBS was "Damien's Hole", and I remember staying up late fighting to get "online" to play The Dungeon.  Only one person could connect at a time!  (After all, he ran it out of his bedroom using his own phoneline!   )

By the way, does anyone else out there remember Epic, from around early to mid 1992?  As far as I can remember, didn't they set the record for the most active players connected at once.  With 100+, back then it was astounding!  I didn't read about it at all in either timeline ... and I figured a Mud of it's magnitude would get mentioned.

Just curious.
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote

Mudding history - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Earth Eternal History Update the_logos Advertising for Players 9 02-05-2007 07:35 PM
Coder wanted for history MUD HaiWolfe Advertising for Staff 0 03-16-2005 09:56 AM
How I got into Mudding Introduce Yourself 5 01-21-2004 06:12 AM
MUDding without the D always_wondering Tavern of the Blue Hand 2 04-07-2003 04:12 AM
How long have you been mudding? Hannah Tavern of the Blue Hand 7 08-02-2002 01:50 PM