Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 01-11-2005, 11:08 PM   #1
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
This threads purpose is simple. Discuss your favorite graphical P.C. or console games. This is NOT a discussion of text-based games. This is for something like discussing whether Half-Life 2 or Halo 2 are better. Now that I've given you a topic, talk amongst yourselves.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:24 AM   #2
Brody

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Favorite graphical MMORPG: World of Warcraft. Hands down. I don't like MMORPGs as a rule, but...####. It owns me.

Favorite PC game at the moment: Rome - Total War.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:11 AM   #3
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
I'm oldschool. The only consoles I have is my original NES and a playstation without a lid. I have to wedge a toothpick in it to hold down the 'trigger'

But, my PC is constantly running a strat game.

*wails* I envy you Brody. I want RTW with all of my heart. Sadly, my computer is a heap of ****, and couldn't even begin to run it. I have mass problems with even MTW.

My favorite all time PC game is Shogun: Total War. If you're familiar with RTW or MTW but not Shogun, you're missing out. It's four or five years old, so the units are are plainer and not as numerous as in MTW or ETW, but the replay valute, gameplay, the battlefield graphics the music and it's cues in game.... and just the amazing atmosphere of 16th Century Japan are simply fantastic. Check it.

I just bought 'The Conqueror's Collection' from walmart. Five strategy games, 3 of which are designed by the master: Sid Meier. The Civil War and Waterloo games are alright, nothing special, but Alpha Centauri sunk it's talons into me. Amazing game. Can't believe I never even thought about buying it in the years it's been out since. It's wasted much of my life the past month...

Caesar3 - Decent game. City building, but gets repetitive quickly and is a virtual clone of 'Pharoah'.

Call to Power 2 - This game sat, unloved for about four years under my comp. Then I found the Alexander the Great scenario. A good twenty hours into this campaign, I was ashamed of myself for neglecting such a magnificent game.

Romance of the 3 Kingdoms(any, but especially 'Walls of Fire&#39 - If you've never played this game you are in sad shape. About the unification of ancient China. Good historical stuff in the game, along with inexaustable gameplay and many, many fun little features..  I had it once upon a time for playstation, but now have it for PC. The Underdogs are your friend.

www.the-underdogs.org For free downloads of classic games. It's all legit, I'm told, so no worries about 'pirated ****'.
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:42 AM   #4
Yev

Played a bit of Diablo II recently, I can't stick with it to the end of Nightmare difficulty though, too repetitive.

As to what I play right now: I play a (seemingly) obscure strategy game from Stardock called Entrepreneur. Quirky and rather unorthodox as a strategy game. Some similarities but it acts a lot like a light hearted business sim. I still have fun with it and that game seems to be on it's 'play it to death' rotation right now. :> The Underdogs has it though I have no actual idea on the legitimacy status.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:00 AM   #5
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
Well, if my computer wasn't slowly dying, I'd be playing RoboForge, Civilization III, Urban Chaos, and... Oh, I dunno. I've had a craving for it lately, so Homeworld. My all-time favorite was the original Unreal, believe it or not, and if a certain someone hadn't broken the cd... Meh.

As it is, about the only things I can play are ones which don't use DirectX or OpenGL in any way, so roguelikes and MUDs are about my best choice right now. They're text, don't like it, buy me a new computer.
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:22 AM   #6
karlan

karlan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by (WarHound @ Jan. 12 2005,16:11)
Caesar3 - Decent game. City building, but gets repetitive quickly and is a virtual clone of 'Pharoah'.
I thought they came the other way around (not so sure now), but yes they are repetitive, good, but repetitive (including Caesar3, Pharoah, Zeus, and Emporer: Middle Kingdom) same game different locations.

Mainly Battlefield 1942 (and mods) for me at the moment, I have so little time for getting into any of the RPGs, MUDs, or strategy games I'm really into, if I have to quit partway through a battle in BF it doesn't bother me, not like having to quit in the middle of a hostile zone when mudding (when there is NO time to get back to a rent location )
karlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:38 AM   #7
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I've recently been playing Fable on the X-Box - it allows for some very cool character customisation (scars, tattoos, clothing, haircuts, beards, etc). Unfortunately the gameplay itself is extremely linear, so I'm likely to move on to Morrowind soon (the X-Box version, which includes both expansion packs).

I've also been playing GTA San Andreas quite a lot, although I rarely bother with the proper missions.

My PC is also too old for Rome Total War, but I played the Shogun and Medieval versions and found them great fun. I'm also very much looking forward to Age of Empires III (I played AoE2 a lot, and Age of Mythology is still my favourite strategy game).
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:49 AM   #8
Hephos

Home MUD: www.sharune.com
Hephos is on a distinguished road
At the moment I am having some fun with WoW It beats the crap out of Daoc or EQ.
Hephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:37 PM   #9
Aminaka

Aminaka is on a distinguished road
Thief the Metal Age. Thief the Dark Project. Difficulty: Ghost, Expert, 'Failonsee' in both.

These, and 'Calindra's Legacy' (THE thief fan mission).
Aminaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:33 PM   #10
Rytorth

Rytorth is on a distinguished road
Mmm...I tend more towards stuff like Myst. Currently, I'm working on Uru: Ages Beyond Myst - one of the expansions (Uru Live) was shut down several years ago due to a lack of paying subscribers....but there's still a lot of other stuff.
Some of the Ages are evil, as far as puzzles go. It's fun, though, finding out the D'ni's real history.
Rytorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:02 AM   #11
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Wow I was wondering if I was the only one who'd mention Myst. I have the original version, and it doesn't work on this computer, but I remember having a blast trying to get through the different worlds. I especially liked the section with the wood/climbing puzzle. I just totally love exploring stuff without having to deal with bad guys. Shoot-em-up games hold no appeal to me whatsoever.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:30 AM   #12
the_logos

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Ahh, so now Armaggedon is officially pimping Myst? Interesting.
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:22 PM   #13
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by (the_logos @ Jan. 14 2005,00:30)
Ahh, so now Armaggedon is officially pimping Myst? Interesting.
I cordially invite you to bite me.

Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:35 AM   #14
Rathik

Rathik is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rathik
Half-life 2 is by far the best single player FPS for the PC that I've played so far (and for so long!). Other games that are definitely in my 'top ten' would be the Age series. (Age of Empires, Age of Kings, Age of Mythology + expansion packs) Civ 3 was another decent RTS game.
Rathik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:58 AM   #15
Crystal

Name: Crystal
Home MUD: Advent of the Mists
Crystal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Crystal
I just recently got Half Life 2 myself, and am pretty impressed. But the Counter Strike: Source has been slowly taking over my soul.
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:52 PM   #16
Rytorth

Rytorth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Jazuela @ Jan. 13 2005,23)
I have the original version, and it doesn't work on this computer, but I remember having a blast trying to get through the different worlds.
Mmm...same problem here; it isn't supported on the more recent versions of Windows. I think the latest they've got it supported for is Windows 98 - and after that, you just have to hope the worst you'll get is wonky images.
Rytorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:24 PM   #17
Ilkidarios

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Rathik @ Jan. 16 2005,01:35)
Half-life 2 is by far the best single player FPS for the PC that I've played so far (and for so long!.
I hear that, Half-Life two is a great game.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:40 PM   #18
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
I recently got Rome: Total War and it's totally taken up my free time! Maybe it's partly because I love the Roman era (I've even considered applying for various courses on it over the years but never got around to it) but the game itself is great, sort of a mix of Civilization and well... not really C&C, closer to Warhammer: Shadows of the Horned Rat (closest "old" game I can think of battle-wise). Two thumbs up, highly recommended to anyone who loves real-time strategy wargames!
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:20 PM   #19
Ilkidarios

Rome: Total War... I believe they used that on a program on the History channel though I can't remember which.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:17 AM   #20
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
They used the graphics engine for a show over here on BBC2 called Time Commanders where they got a group of four people together each week and they had to fight historical battles against the computer.
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote

Favorite Games? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which character was your favorite? Brody Roleplaying and Storytelling 1 03-29-2007 03:12 AM
Favorite characters Brody Roleplaying and Storytelling 4 05-26-2005 05:09 PM
Most Original and Favorite Themes? Burr Tavern of the Blue Hand 7 04-13-2003 03:23 PM
What is your favorite thing in a mud? Xanferious Tavern of the Blue Hand 1 07-15-2002 12:40 PM
Who's your favorite Admin? Xanferious Tavern of the Blue Hand 0 05-13-2002 07:26 PM