Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 07-15-2003, 08:26 PM   #1
Rohart

Rohart is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Note: I posted the exact same thing on TMC and kyndig.com eight days ago. So far the group seems to be doing pretty well. Three people are able to play everyday at the scheduled time, and two people can play most days. I debated whether this should go in advertising for players, or the Tavern of the Blue Hand. I read the descriptions and decided it should go into the tavern. Also, if you know a good MUD we might be able to call home, it would also be nice if you would reply as well, thanks

-okay I'm putting this at the top as well at the end. Please don't bash my idea or flame me about posting on the wrong board, I found this to be the most appropriate place.-

Hey everyone. My name is Rohart. I've been on and off MUDing for a few years now. I've been thinking lately about starting a group that is organized, plays at a certain time, forms a party with each other and knows each other in character like a RPG should be. I'm tired of going from MUD to MUD being disoriented, alone, and eventually just become bored of it. I can't find a place I really want to call home, and even if I did, I still think I would rather like a steady group to RP with.

Imagine playing in a MUD with a fighter, mage, cleric, thief, knight, ranger. The many races, classes and hopefully genders(hopefully both male and female hear this)... having fun, going exploring, and adventuring. The characters would be a fun easy-going, with interesting different personalities, all belonging to the same official or unofficial clan. They would all set aside two hours of their day (which some might probably spend role-playing/mudding anyway). That is my idea for now.

I'm not a genius and I don't think that I was the first one to come up with an idea like this, but, if anyone out there likes this idea, please keep on listening.

-1st we need five to eight dedicated players willing from the PST CNT or EST time zones to become apart of this group. It's important that we are relatively close to the schedule, our bond in character and a little out of character needs to be something real, something genuine. They also need to RP, but they don't need to over-do RP if you know what I mean.
-2nd they need to have at least two hours of everyday open, probably in the evening 6PM-8PM PST, 8PM-10PM CNT, or 9PM-11PM EST.
-3rd must find a suitable MUD to play in. Maybe one that none of the group has played yet so we all find it interesting. Preferably original, fun to explore, good party xp gains, good staff, good RP elements, ever-changing and interesting events every now and then, and very fair. Nothing seems less fair than a character paying the staff in return for great skills, invincible weapons, and that isn't very RP anyway, IMHO. I can understand donations, and where the money really goes (to the servers) but I just don't like the idea of former.

We should also only play our characters with each other at the scheduled times so we are all relatively the same level and there won't be other problems similar, this doesn't stop you to do other things with your characters that doesn't revolve around leveling of course.

This is all I can think of for now. A max of seven more people needed. If we get seven, we can either all group together or split into groups of two when we play. If this clan works, I'll pledge my two hours a day definitely. I'm really open minded, even though my restrictions above might have sounded a little too... restricting. But, I think that those rules are pretty basic of what most people who play RPG's want.

I don't want this to be equivalent to a clan with a leader, I want us to be like in character friends with bonds.

If you know that your not going to be able to keep to the schedule, then write something on the yahoo board at the bottom of this post and post why you can't join, because I'm not really chiseling any of this stuff in stone. If your friendly, good rp, and sincerely want to join a group like this, then please post on the yahoo board. If your out of character hot-tempered, obnoxious, and vulgar than please dont apply (although I'm not sure about being hot-tempered and some-what vulgar in-character though..., might be good, but just don't be obnoxious) If you know someone who is also interested, then refer them as well.

Maybe this will work, maybe it won't. Who knows? I'm sorry about the poor grammer in the post, I'm not really an English major, but I tried to make it as easy to read as possible, even though theres probably a hundred of things wrong with it.

To join the group please only post at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/formingtheRPgroup/
(this board is only temporary, I'll make another yahoo board after we get the group to make it organized, but at the same time simple)

-okay I'm putting this at the top as well at the end. Please don't bash my idea or flame me about posting on the wrong board, I found this to be the most appropriate place.-
Rohart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 10:21 AM   #2
OnyxFlame

OnyxFlame is on a distinguished road
I don't intend to come off as a flaming idiot here, so if I do just ignore me.

I see nothing wrong with RP'ing with people that I meet outside the mud I play. However, I do see something wrong with them expecting me to devote my time to them, when it might not necessarily be IC for me to do so. What if I have other IC responsibilities, such as running a castle or training people in my guild? What if my char is already established as someone who doesn't easily trust outsiders? What if I have no IC interest in going questing all the time?

The problem is, on the mud I play you're not *supposed* to know who your ooc friends are playing, although a lot of us do anyway. You're not supposed to let your ooc friendships affect what you do IC (i.e. don't train up your buddies or ignore your responsibilities just because your buddy who happens to be playing a newbie wants you to explain something to them). You can't just drop what you're doing and go oh crap Fred died, I gotta go rescue his corpse, if you don't even know IC that Fred died or if you have something else more important that you should be doing. And you're not supposed to talk ooc about what you do every minute of the day IC.

Let me give you an example of the kind of stuff I hate. Some years back, I was dating a guy who decided to try the mud I was playing. He expected me to train up his char and put MY life on hold to explain every little facet of the game to him. He also expected me to ony develop IC romantic relationships with HIM, because we were dating ooc. So what happened was this. I was playing a fighter, and she was being trained a lot by this guy who flirted with just about everyone. The guy I was dating got ****ed off because of this, and insulted the guy who was teaching my char IC. So my teacher shrugged and killed him, then piked his head in the middle of town. (I eventually ended up breaking up with the guy, but not for this reason. I'm not THAT obsessed with mudding. )

Note that this is only one mud that I'm talking about, and there may be other places where what you want is perfectly acceptable. However, I think most muds that heavily stress RP would consider this kind of thing to be ooc cheating, and thus a punishable offense. Or I could be totally wrong about your intentions. Either way, I'd like a little clarification of exactly what you're talking about so I know whether my little rant is applicable to you at all, heh.
OnyxFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 12:44 PM   #3
Sanvean

Sanvean is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Sanvean
I don't usually object when friends play together. A lot of time that's how we get new players - someone decides to share the addiction and dragoons a sibling, friend, or significant other into the game.

It gets iffy when it's unfair to other players who aren't similarly coordinating. I've seen people abuse this, as when one character logged in to help another character, and headed straight to where they were, without any ingame communication. To me, that's just a step away from "I just died, go get the stuff off my corpse." Things that characters do should be based on IC events and communications, not OOC ones.

But that's on a RP intensive MUD, as Onyxflame points out. On some other muds, it's normal to have this sort of coordination, and honestly, it's more fun to play with friends than solo for most folks.
Sanvean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:23 PM   #4
Rohart

Rohart is on a distinguished road
OnyxFlame and Sanvean,

I see what your saying, and I respect your replies.  Well, I'd like to start off with the rules of the MUD we'll play on are the same as my rules.  If they make a rule about "no ooc knowledge carried into game at all" than that's fine with me, and we will never talk anywhere about in game events except inside the MUD itself, and only in character of course.

Well, this is just a typical scenario about new person going into an RP mud.  Will he have real history with anyone?  Who was his mother?  His father?  Why doesn't he ever talk to his family?  All he wants is revenge?  He'll probably be just the little orphan with no family, no companions, no character motives, no history involving any other PC besides himself.  He'll talk to some strangers for a day, but then they will be forever gone tomorrow.

I don't expect the other members to just throw themselves at anyones feet just because they have a selfish conquest for power.  There's a member who joined the group on the terms that she would play at the same time we played, however she would be the lone thief, and that our history would be only IC.  We also don't have to constantly stick together.  Being together every now and then is enough, if they say "Okay, I'm going on my own today, or doing something else with so and so" then that's good enough for me.  However, it's the idea that we all eventually know some real IC people in the MUD.

I've been trying a lot of MUDs out recently.  A lot of them are RPI, so there's no global channels, descriptive titles in the who list, or even good character interaction.  They look fun on the outside, but can a wandering lone role-player really make a nice home for himself there?  Possibly...  but they probably require a lot of patience and talent.

Basically a lot of people have joined the group.  This group is made up of them, and what they want to do with their characters.  Generally it would be good if we all didn't wander around completely aimless in a huge world, knowing no one.
Rohart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 07:21 PM   #5
OnyxFlame

OnyxFlame is on a distinguished road
Well if you guys wanna try the mud I play, we could use some more real RP'ers. Our style is kinda laid back, i.e. most of the time the built-in emotes work fine, you don't hafta RP out every little twitch and sneeze unless you want to. So far, the RP is mostly noticeable as it pertains to politics, and a lot of people don't even bother to create char histories. So it may not be what you're looking for, but I hope it can get more involved as our newbies start figuring out wtf it's all about. (We have a much larger percentage of newbies than we did in the old days.)

However, I've started helping newbies come up with nice char histories, although having another char for a relative has never been all that common. So if you guys decide to play there, I can help you with that and hang out with you sometimes, as long as you realize I have other IC responsibilities taking up a fair amount of my time. If interested, check out dartmud.com port 2525.
OnyxFlame is offline   Reply With Quote

RPers wanted to start group/clan and have fun. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Threshold RPG - Group Combat & Group PvP Changes Threshold Advertising for Players 10 12-13-2005 08:01 PM
Virtually Unlimited Potential: RPers wanted! Wik Advertising for Players 2 08-22-2005 11:32 PM
Steampunk RPers wanted Wik Advertising for Players 0 03-20-2005 12:52 PM
Political Intrigue- RPers wanted! Wik Advertising for Players 0 02-26-2005 03:45 PM
Political RPers Wanted MichelaOS Advertising for Players 0 12-15-2004 07:36 PM