Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 06-19-2004, 03:35 PM   #1
Prufrock

Prufrock is on a distinguished road
Arrow

First off, I'm getting sick of hearing players like, "Osmodo the Eviscerator" and, "Everia the Requiem Songstress" arguing the merits of the, "Scythe of Disembowlment." †I'm sick of inarticulate, puberty-addled teens cursing and raging and generally making asses of themselves over paltry things such as the above. †I'm sick of the number crunching- the average damage, the best exp., remort combinations, and countless modifiers, just to name a few. †If that's yer cup of tea, fine, but i am tired of it all. †Ok, i'm done with my rant.

With that being said, here is the type of MUD i'm searching for:

In essence, i am searching for a MUD where one's reputation doesn't rest on any particular stats or numbers (level, kills, equipment etc), but rather one's personality and involvement within the community.

I would like the community to be relaxed- a place where people go to have some leisurely fun- within an RP context of course. †I really don't want to have to fill out a three-page application and adhere to a million rules (though i realize rules are necessary, the overzealous enforcement of such rules can destroy the atmosphere, turning a peaceful village into a state prison).

Lastly, i would like a player run/created world. †As i stated before, i am not interested in objects created by coders- they are so impersonal! †"Osmondo," doesn't wear the, "wool knit cardigan" for its aura of fashionable dash and splendor...he wears it for the +3 dam/hit, +3 con, sanc, bless blah blah blah! † On the other hand, objects created by players themselves (houses, furniture, clothes, pets! etc.) would do wonders adding depth and dimension to community as well as further defining the characters. †In short, i'd love a place where nearly everything is created by the players, or at least with player input.

To conclude (and for those who skipped most of the above): i'd like a community with a relaxed atmosphere run by fun and nice people who are looking to just kick back, relax and enjoy. †Thanks for reading my post, i know it's long and ranty-ish...i'd appreciate any suggestions.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 03:50 PM   #2
Angie

Home MUD: God Wars II
Angie is on a distinguished road
I don't promise we are your dream mud, but you can give Midnight Sun a try.

We have a good community with an average of 10-30 players online depending on time of day - small enough for everybody to get to know everybody else. While you can play as a powerplayer, we have a strict policy against numbers, so number crunching is out of the question. The world is not created by players, but all of our wizards are former players - and we don't grow claws once we climb the Spire of Immortality.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 03:54 PM   #3
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
Try Threshold, currently #3 on the first page of TMS. Aristotle is the implementor, and designs most of the world and objects {not a player here myself, so players may do a bit} but it seems to me you'd probably enjoy the mud...

That's my only suggestion with your criteria of 'relaxed, liesurely fun'. They're pretty laid back, from my experience there, I can't relate. I like to pillage, plunder and burn, while in turn being stabbed, gouged, and impaled.

All of that said, you might want to look into the realm of MOO's or MUSH's. My experience here is limited, so one of the more experienced lurkers can jump in here...
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 04:09 PM   #4
Kenjar

Kenjar is on a distinguished road
I'm going to suggest Armageddon, because even though I don't play it i'm sure it fits all your requirements, and everyone else seems to love it.

And isn't midnight sun a pay game?

Edit- Ah, no, that's 'The Seventh Sun', Sorry.
Kenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 08:53 PM   #5
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road
Actually Kenjar, we do not fit his criteria. But we appreciate the mention anyway.

We believe we're the best mud anywhere, however, we are not relaxed and leisurely. We're passionate almost rabid about the mud, and while we are having fun, we take our fun seriously.

We also require an app, that must be approved before playing. That seems to intimidate some people. Which is a shame, but not enough of a shame to out weigh the benefits of the system.

That said, Prufrock, come take a look. Maybe you'll find that you like us.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 08:59 PM   #6
Angie

Home MUD: God Wars II
Angie is on a distinguished road
No, Midnight Sun never was and is not a pay game.

And we have no plans to make anybody pay for playing, for benefits nor for anything else.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 10:48 PM   #7
Sacac

Sacac is on a distinguished road
www.armageddon.org

well.. there are not THAT many teens, but we do have MANSA so.. And they argue a bunch about condoms and T&A and.. um.. and stuff.. like that? But they discuss all kinds of weird and odd things in the OOC forum and then.. they do that in the others too.. (http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/)

No skills, but we do have stats, but ti doesn't "Depend on them in any way". and sure, if you are a back stabbing, P.O.S that is out to kill House Borsail's head noble, you will fit in.
Hey! You could be a barber and fit in too.

As for relaxed.. yea.. We don't fit that one. We declare Rp also.. so yea. And you do have to apply for a PC (Playable character). There are only 10 rules. As for turning the pieceful village into a prison, sure, go ahead and **** of all the people you want because we have this lovely rule:

"Sometimes people are nasty. There are no rules against being extremely mean to others that your character may meet, be it cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise making a fool out of. The sole exception to this is termed 'the rule of consent', and is outlined both in "help consent" and in point 5, below. "

WTH Is the +3 stat ****e? Yea.. we don't have that. But you had better wear armor (and better armor is made from better things) and yes, everything is more or less ran by players. But our imms (Those mean backstabbing people who kill hundred of PC's for lunch during HRPTs, J/k.. well.. only half ) And we have furniture too! Sofa and beds and couches and.. that other stuff?

It can't be very relaxing because it is Harsh HARSH HHAARRSSHH. Sometimes and it can be very relaxing (#### gypsies ruin everything) PC's can be very mean, but most of the people are nice.
Sacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 03:51 PM   #8
Markov_AU

Name: Ben
Home MUD: Adventures Unlimited
Markov_AU is on a distinguished road
Talking

You might want to give Adventures Unlimited a try, http://au.betterbox.net we have our players act mature, and we pride our selves on being a friendly enviroment (though not alywas ICly of course)
Markov_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:19 PM   #9
Kaleisha

Kaleisha is on a distinguished road
Perhaps you might want to check out Evarayn, from what you have posted it sounds like it might suit you. I know how hard it can be hard finding the perfect mud, and what is right for me is not always right for everyone else.. so I can only suggest you take the time to read our website at evarayn.com and the reviews posted here at TMS. Or log in and check us out at evarayn.com:23 and decide for yourself it suits, we're always happy to see new faces and you'll find the players more than helpful with getting you started.

We offer a fairly relaxed roleplay atmosphere, most of our players are of a more mature level so don't require the heavy policing you may have experienced elsewhere. Evarayn is a roleplay mud, we require players to be in character on channels and ingame, however we do have a global ooc channel for comments not suited to the ingame environment.

Everything in the realm is created by the players, ships can be built, weapons smithed and repaired, garments sewn and customised to your needs. Pets are bred and trained by players, some being rideable and some even have the ability of mounted flight. Much of our roleplay is player led, with the gods aiding with local messages and sometimes props to add atmosphere. And, most importantly ......

We have just as much fun running Evarayn as the players have playing it

Kaleisha
Kaleisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 07:33 PM   #10
Jada

Jada is on a distinguished road
Well better late than never.

You may want to give Eternal Struggle a try. Visit us at www.esmud.com. We have been up and running for seven years and have many unique code features, including a recognize system that allows you to remember the people that you meet. We have a unique rename/custom system that allows you to write your own descriptions for your own objects, making them more personable. We also have a council of admins, dedicated to role-play only, that lead many ongoing storylines and if that's not your preference players are encouraged to create their own. So if you want action, we have it, if you want relaxed RP, well we have that as well.

Jada

Eternal Struggle
Jada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 12:29 PM   #11
Nutai

Nutai is on a distinguished road
Yes, Eternal Struggle would probably fit what you are looking for, if you are looking for a place to relax and roleplay without having to deal with a whole bunch of numbers and crazy, non-sensical items. Players shape a large part of the in-character direction of the game, and give quite a bit of input in other areas, as well.
Nutai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 01:52 PM   #12
April

April is on a distinguished road
The Turning Point Mud
http://mud.tp.org

In my opinion, TP is all about the role play, the community, the involvement. And the standards and present state of all are extremely high. The website is a wonderful resource filled with invaluable information about the game which I will not begin to ramble about in-length here.

The level of role play at TP is the highest Iíve ever experienced in any Mud, the opportunities are endless, the players are friendly, the storylines are interactive and in-depth and the place is just overall a barrel of monkeys, I mean, fun.

Check it out. Itís an awesome and rewarding place to play.
April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:58 AM   #13
Caggles

Caggles is on a distinguished road
I'd reiterate what April said. I've spent a long time trying to find a decent RP MUD, with players who are interested in RP over number crunching or the skills you can get, and TP comes out on top of those.

The people are great - some of the best RPers I've seen.
There's three distinct cultures - for example the east, Lanakh's, arabic feel is something I've yet to see anywhere else.
No applications for normal characters - if you're anything like me, you just want to PLAY, and maybe work on figuring why your character does what they do AFTER the event. TP allows this (although certain races do have apps to ensure they're not played as just pointy eared or tailed humans)
New things! Constantly going in, new areas, code tweaks. The imms listen and put in what we want (provided it's not too far-fetched )

Highly recommended, anyhow. And I'm a picky player.
Caggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:45 PM   #14
dragon master

dragon master is on a distinguished road
TP can be fun but it is also the most heavily number-based RP mud I've played. You have to make sure your weapons have the best damroll and that crap if you want to stay alive. It also is run a little too heavily by the imms for my taste.

If you don't want to worry about numbers and powergamers and such, I'd recommend Shadows of Isuldur. It's a Tolkein based RPI but you don't need to have read the books to play it. It does have an application but nothing near 3 pages . The community is great and although there isn't much (as in pretty much none) OOC in game, the forums are a great place to relieve your OOC self and people are always on them.

SOI gets about 30-40 people most of the day and is a good place to RP without worrying about numbers. Also, there is a built in craft system to allow players to create items and a submission system for new items designed by players that are added to the game all the time.

It's levelless, classless, and numberless. The way you tell how powerfull items are different from crap is by using common since. A serrated stell longsword is going to be better than a rotting wooden longsword. There are no Uber Scythes of Evil Destruction +3 or crap like that and some of the most powerfull players are powerfull because they can get others to listen to them (either through intimidation, deciet, loyalty, or what not), not because they have the uber sword.

Also, it is highly player-based and probably the most rp-oriented mud out there(*ducks in preperation for the arm players*). Pretty much everything from orkish clans to the Gondorian Watch are run by players.

The only problem with SOI is that you will get addicted and won't be able to stop.
dragon master is offline   Reply With Quote

Looking fer Community(long) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Enzo, long-time adovocate of TPE Enzo Introduce Yourself 1 12-20-2005 01:12 AM
How Long Does It Take? Danlor MUD Coding 9 07-02-2005 01:17 AM
Short and Long desc filter Verboden Faction MUD Coding 1 06-30-2003 02:21 PM
How long have you been mudding? Hannah Tavern of the Blue Hand 7 08-02-2002 01:50 PM
Long time ago, when the message board was crusty Yuki Tavern of the Blue Hand 0 06-21-2002 02:40 AM