Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 03-17-2005, 12:12 AM   #1
Danlor

Danlor is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

I'm searching for a MUD in the Fantasy genre that has at least a few players logged on at all times.

I'm not super picky, except for one thing:

I want the zones to be mapable!

I've tried so many muds where, when I tried to map them so I could figure my way around, I found overlapping rooms everywhere.

A Dragonlance mud would be awesome, but really any kind of fantasy is great .
Danlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 03:25 AM   #2
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
As a Builder I find your comment about mapable zones interesting, mostly from a technical point of view.

I always get frustrated myself with zones that aren't mapable, (I think that is really bad building) and I usually take very good care to ensure that my own zones can be mapped on a grid.

However, there are two exceptions to this general rule.

The first is of course mazes, which per definition should not be easily mapable, although the correct route might well be set down on a grid. Normally all wrong tracks would be linked in circles to confuse the player. There are other methods though, one of my own most confusing mazes is just a grid with a well hidden portal as exit.

The other exception would be working in different 'scales'. For instance I usually make my 'Travel zones' grids, where you can go in most directions, whether the zone is sea or dry land. But when you get to an island or a city, you 'enter' that, either through a gate (portal) or possibly by climbing a cliff or some stairs. From the city you might then in turn enter a house or a castle, in a similar way.

The new zone you get into is independant of the grid, much more detailed and done in a much larger scale. For instance a 'room' in a sea grid might be 400 x400 meters, in a city 20x20 meters and inside a house 5x5 meters.

This means of course that the house will be overlapping the city zone, and the city zone will be overlapping the surrounding terrain grid. But I don't really see a problem in that, and I know of no other way of making it, unless you want to vade through tons of uninteresting rooms to get anywhere.

In case anyone has better ideas how to handle the distance problem, feel free to comment.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
Zaq

Zaq is on a distinguished road
I've always found www.accursed-lands.com to be designed toward orienting players very well. It features an easy-to-understand survey.

This of course being one of its many player-friendly features.

IP : accursed-lands.com
PORT : 8888
Zaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
critter

critter is on a distinguished road
Molly,

Danlor is looking for a MUD, not your ramblings on MUD building and design.  Please stick to the building forum.  You could note there that Danlor's post got you thinking, and then others can contribute in the proper venue.
critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 06:23 PM   #5
Aidan_RoD

Aidan_RoD is on a distinguished road
Danlor,

You could check out Realms of Discordia. We recently rewrote the entire world and laid everything out so that things are in a sequential order, and the game is mappable. Before, I used to get frustrated finding looped rooms or things in odd places. So, we took about five months and we reworked the entire world and expanded on it quite a bit.

Currently we are at over sixty-five hundred rooms. I put another post on here yesterday with some of our features, so feel free to check us out if it seems interesting to you.

realmsofdiscordia.com 9000
www.realmsofdiscordia.com

Aidan
Coder/Owner
Realms of Discordia
Aidan_RoD is offline   Reply With Quote

Seeking Fantasy MUD - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seeking coders for new fantasy project Lanthum Advertising for Staff 0 10-27-2005 01:51 AM
Seeking staff for a Fantasy Steampunk RPI Jerusalem Advertising for Staff 0 07-20-2005 09:25 AM
Are you looking for a fantasy mud like no other? Keljorian Advertising for Staff 0 10-17-2003 04:11 PM
Fantasy Bumperstickers The Vorpal Tribble MUD Humor 27 08-27-2003 06:20 AM
Sci-Fi/Fantasy Game Seeking Players! Gabriel Advertising for Players 0 05-03-2003 01:57 PM