Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 02-17-2003, 12:43 PM   #41
Dulan

Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
Point 1: Brody himself has admitted that he has not played these MUDs.

Point 2: Brody has not stated the reasoning why he advertises for these MUDs.

Point 3: Human nature normally would dictate that people do something for something, not something for nothing.

Now, let me get this straight. Brody is advertising for MUDs who he has never played, and just randomly picks. No review, no reason to check them out, just, "Their ranking sucks! Check them out!".

There's got to be a reason he's doing this. Someone care to speculate? (And if someone spouts up with the "out of the goodness of his heart" garbage, wouldn't he actually bother to play the MUD and review it, rather then just pick something at random?)

-D
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 01:24 PM   #42
John

John is on a distinguished road
Well I'm going to beat everyone to saying it, and say "so he gets good PR which will cause people to check out his mud" *rolls his eyes*

Well I personally had no idea what mud he was on until it was said here.

And really, does any ONE person have enough times to review these muds? How much time is a fair enough time? Some muds are hard to start, but are REAL good once you get into it.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 01:33 PM   #43
Brody

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

"No good deed goes unpunished."
                    - Clair Booth Luce

The woman knew what she was talking about.

Look, here's the deal:

If KaVir or anyone else wants to write Bob's Generically and Unoffensively Named Text-Based Online Multiplayer Game of the World-Unspecific Temporal Unit, more power to you. I promise not to come over and nitpick the nice thing *you* are trying to do for MUDs that lack decent exposure in the face of powerhouse voting games (which makes every game below 20 an "underdog," whether it offends you or not - and, folks, I've got my own games in the Sub-20 and *I* don't feel like a loser!.

I'm not changing the name to "Brody's Dark Horse MUD of the Day." It means the *exact same thing* as "underdog," except it uses a different animal.

I'm not writing extensive reviews because I *do* need time to run my own games, play them (if possible), and ... oh, yeah, do my RL job and hang out with my wonderful wife. What I'm doing is finding games in the hinterlands of the TMS list that interest me, and I'm telling people their websites, their telnet addresses, and a brief blurb about them. I'm not saying, "Hey, this MUD sucks, give it a look." I'm specifically saying, at the end of each post: "Worth checking out! " I'm not saying pity them. I'm not calling them losers. The ONLY people who seem to be upset at the title at this point can be counted on *one* hand (after it's been caught in a wheat thresher) - the number of people defending what I'm doing (and telling the rest of you to unclench) is, I am THRILLED to say, much higher.

Oh, I'm also not writing extensive reviews because if my supporters think it's annoying to see a simple title nitpicked to death, just wait until I might write something subjective and critical that people disagreed with. Excuse my French, but f*** that noise. (My apologies in advance to the French or the French-sympathetic who might take offense at my implication that French would be in any way naughty. This is a figure of speech in the country where I grew up. We're not a perfect people. We sometimes say things that rub people the wrong way. But...we usually mean well.)

For those who think I'm doing this for my own benefit...uh, go back and read the last five pages again. I've posted about three games, and the detractors are the ones who keep the thread growing longer and longer. I could do (and have done) other things that are actually beneficial to *me* and my games. This isn't one of them. Writing columns, buying ads and posting in the player promotions forums are good for my games. Doing this SHOULD be good for other games, and it feels good to point people to games they might otherwise miss, but it isn't doing my blood pressure any good - and it's not making some of my favorite MUDing afficionados look good either, which is rather dispiriting.

I don't want to start a new thread to get past all this nonsense. I want it to stay right where it is, so, in the future, when people ask: "Gee, why don't people do more nice things for free for the MUDing community?", we can point to the petty cascade of nitpicking that came from this simple concept of giving some front-page exposure to games that either don't have people voting enough for them or can't afford to advertise with Top MUD Sites.

All that said, I *do* want to move on. Don't like the title? Noted. Love the title? Noted. Think I'm doing this for my own benefit? Don't want to be included? Noted. Do me a favor and drop me an e-mail at wesplatt@jointhesaga.com specifically saying "Don't include my game, thanks."

Have a nice day.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 02:35 PM   #44
Dulan

Ah. I see.

So, it is to feed your own ego, as well as attain indirect advertising for your own projects then, Brody.

You'll have to pardon me if I'm rather undernethused with your whole scheme - all of your "underdog"/"loser" MUDs have a chance to advertise on the front page, just the same as you do. They choose not to do it. You choose to do it.

And, let me say this. I will never play any MUD that you've put on your precious underdog listing so far. I may not be the only one. Isn't that having the exact opposite effect you are hoping for? Or...could it be a potential intended effect?

Who knows. If it is intended, Brody'd never admit it./

-D
Old 02-17-2003, 02:42 PM   #45
Brody

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by
So, it is to feed your own ego, as well as attain indirect advertising for your own projects then, Brody.
Uh. Right, Dulan. I don't already feed my ego with my columns or my games. I need to come to Top MUD Sites and mention other people's games in the hopes of somehow hornswaggling unsuspecting readers to my own games. It's all a one-man conspiracy. Thank you for pointing out the error in my ways.

Look, I write plenty about my games - in separate topics. Whether you believe my motives or not is immaterial. That you find them suspect is unsurprising. That far more people appreciate what I'm doing than honk off on it keeps it alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
And, let me say this. I will never play any MUD that you've put on your precious underdog listing so far.
I'll gladly accept fan mail at wesplatt@jointhesaga.com from folks who are GLAD Dulan won't be showing up if I print their game's information.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:45 PM   #46
Dulan

Heh. Amusing, Brody.

People who connect thie 'Dulan' persona to my actual, real gameplaying persona..-shake- Yare yare.

However, that response of yours basically confirmed my gut feeling. You have an ulterior motive, and you are not doing this just to get some "underdog" MUD on the front page of TMS.

While several previously stated hunches are partially correct, based on that reaction, none have directly hit the target yet.

Someone else care to help me speculate on his true motives? I'm drawing blanks here.

-D
Old 02-17-2003, 02:52 PM   #47
Brody

Smile

The ulterior motive inherent in the prior post was to point out the absurdity of your argument, Dulan. If I had it *my* way, this thread would show up once a day, then go down the list as people with really interesting things to say posted in other topics.

But, for some reason, people like you keep it at the top of the list. Why, if someone wanted to be a real conspiracy theorist, they might think you and I were working in collusion - bickering like madmen to keep my own ego-boosting thread on everybody's radar screen, all day long.

Of course, I think it's pretty obvious to people that we're not working together. And, well, you wouldn't have your own ulterior motives for taking shots at what I'm doing would you?

Anybody else care to speculate? I'm drawing a blank .
Old 02-17-2003, 03:05 PM   #48
Dulan

If you are going to PM me to do something, Brody, and then promptly shout out what it is.....

Yare yare ^.^.

-D, "Rhetorical? For real? Who knows!"
Old 02-17-2003, 03:07 PM   #49
Brody

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by
If you are going to PM me to do something, Brody, and then promptly shout out what it is.....
Ladies and gentlemen, meet the 21st Century version of "I know you are, but what am I?"
Old 02-17-2003, 03:09 PM   #50
Ytrewtsu

Ytrewtsu is on a distinguished road
Ulterior motives? How about wanting to make the mud community more of a community? I personally don't see how any of the posts regarding the motives of Brody or the meaning of the word underdog have anything to do with advertising for players. Brody has posted per the guidelines of this forum but we have at least one forum moderator posting completely off topic? This is not a flame board so why not let the post be as it is in line with the guidelines set forth by Synozeer.

Ytrewtsu
Ytrewtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 03:09 PM   #51
Dulan

Mmmm. 21st Century.

By now, weren't we supposed to have wonder-pills that could cure any sickness?

It'd be bloody nice to have a pill to cure stupidity. Oh yes.

-D

</Fallout reference>
Old 02-17-2003, 03:12 PM   #52
Brody

Smile

Ooh. Ouch. That stings. Ooh. He called me stupid. Ouch.

Or not.

The next Brody's Underdog MUD of the Day That Dulan Won't Visit will be posted after midnight Eastern time.

Till then, kind readers, I leave you to talk amongst yourselves.

Have a great day!
Old 02-17-2003, 03:13 PM   #53
Dulan

Le sigh.

Brody makes an obscure reference, and I follow up with another, and then he throws a ****y fit.

Kawaii. No, really.

Now, would someone care to seriously speculate on his real motives?

-D
Old 02-17-2003, 04:36 PM   #54
Noximist

Noximist is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Noximist Send a message via MSN to Noximist
Wow.

I'm suddenly very glad that I spend most of my time hiding on my MUD, instead of subjecting myself to these slings and arrows. I really don't understand why someone would need to have ulterior motives to post about lesser-known MUDs - it's the sort of thing I can easily see myself doing, because it's a nice thing to do, and might help someone out. Responses like these (obviously, I don't refer to everything here, heh) just reinforce what I've said to people before, when they've asked why I rarely speak anywhere: I don't throw my opinions and advice out much, because I've no desire to see them get hacked to bits. I just don't have the time or the self-confidence to spare on defending my words, as Brody has been forced to do.

Ah, well. I'll just say that I for one am happy to see sub-20-yet-perfectly-good MUDs get some recognition.

(Edited for clarification.)
Noximist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 06:31 PM   #55
Alajha

Alajha is on a distinguished road
My deepest apologies, Brody I had a word with Allisande, as I know the owner of Cat's Haven, and she told me she was fine with this.
I'm over-defensive of my friends; true friends like Allie are rare, few, and far-in-between.
Again, my apologies.
Alajha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 06:52 PM   #56
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Brody, I don't care what you're posting, and I don't care why you're doing it. My points were never intended to be an attack on you, but rather to point out what I felt were discrepancies between what you said you were trying to do, and what you were actually achieving.

You have said that you're doing this for the benefit of the lower-ranked muds, so I simply pointed out that - if that's really what you want to do - there are better ways to go about it.

Just take a step back and think about it. What is it you're really trying to offer to (1) the muds, and (2) the players who are looking for muds?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 08:32 PM   #57
Dulan

Brody: KaVir stated my point directly, instead of the roundabout manner in which I was trying to approach it.

Furthermore, if this was so important, why not just have Syn write a script to randomly display 1 MUD from the database on the front page? It's not difficult - I could likely do it myself - and it would have a better effect then what you are attempting to do.

-D
Old 02-17-2003, 09:14 PM   #58
Brody

Smile

Just in case some people accidentally stumble into my nefarious web of manipulative intrigues and wind up on my game sites, I'm now going to *also* take time out of my schedule to post the Underdogs on the message forums of my own games - in threads that no one else can respond to or spam into obscurity.

Oh. For those who may not know, Underdog is also the name of a cartoon superhero - mild-mannered Shoeshine Boy, a dog who becomes Underdog when he must rush to save the day (and Sweet Polly Purebred) from the evil Riff Raff and Simon Bar Sinister.

It is my sincerest hope that those I classify as Underdogs in these posts are not offended by the possibility that someone might construe them as a flying dog in a cape.

And, speaking of misconstruing things, I'll have a special disclaimer on the next Underdog MUD of the Day posting. Should clear *everything* up!
Old 02-17-2003, 09:35 PM   #59
Dulan

Ah. I see. So, this is something that *you*, and only *you* must do.

My suggestions/points in my previous post were completely ignored - and are likely to work far better than your method.

Interesting. Motive?

-D
Old 02-17-2003, 09:45 PM   #60
CSmith_Fan

CSmith_Fan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CSmith_Fan
You know..I've been sitting back and watching this thread go way out of hand since page 3 and all I can say is IMO (w/out pointing fingers) that some people are so dense and immature.

Who cares if Brody decides to maybe do something for someone for free? That a crime? Why are the few and far between so adamtly against it? Is it because Brody is pointing out MUDs that they dont belong on and have in a sense an envy problem?

Whatever it is..just drop the bickering and act your ages. If you dont think Brody is making the "perfect post" (which is impossible because any post, no matter how good, will always have someone disagree with whatever about it) or isnt adressing specific issues then fine...begin your own thread, post something similar at your own website, whatever but quit acting like a bunch of ignorant self centered morons with some moralistic gripe about how everything everyone else does is wrong and deal with it and get over it

Sheesh...
CSmith_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Brody's Underdog MUD of the Day - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brody's Avatar.... Milawe Tavern of the Blue Hand 10 04-14-2006 11:37 AM
Brody's Underdog MUD of the Day Orion Elder Tavern of the Blue Hand 162 12-04-2003 01:54 AM
Brody's MUD Index, Second Edition Brody MUD Announcements 0 03-19-2003 02:46 PM
Brody's MUD Index Online! Brody MUD Announcements 6 02-13-2003 12:15 PM
Brody's MUD Index 2002 Brody MUD Announcements 21 09-01-2002 01:16 AM