Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Staff
Click here to Register

Old 08-25-2002, 06:03 PM   #1
Zoulz

Zoulz is on a distinguished road
Hello,
I'm currently developing a windows-based mud server using the dotNet platform. As far as I know, it will be the first of it's kind. I am seeking the following people:

1 dotNET/C# Developer, should be able to code in C#.

1 Rules And Systems Designer, good at inventing RPG systems. Probobly has extensive knowledge of pen&paper RPGs.

1+ World Builders, You will be building the entire world full with rooms, items, mobs etc. You should be imaginative and full of ideas. Probobly has knowledge from pen&paper RPGs.

Look here for details: http://maeveen.no-ip.org/

Best Regards,
Zoulz
Zoulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 06:57 PM   #2
Ingham

Finding C# programmers is going to be a problem, as will be finding a C# compiler. You will need to be able to compile your code and where as C and C++ compilers are available for free(GCC), a C# compiler would require you to pay a pretty penny.

Maybe that won't be a prob, but quite a few coders are amateurs (as opposed to paid professionals) and thus simply can't afford to experiement with C# because it's so expensive. ($200 USD for a bunch of books and a good attitude can get you quite far with C/C++)

Still though, I must admit that I admire someone venturing away from the old standards. While it wouldn't be my personal choice, it's still a nice thing to see, keep it up and good luck!

PS,
Maybe, MAYBE (Notice the big MAYBEs) I'll get advanced courses in C# programming next year, but I'm not sure. Considering my college is halfway up Mr. Gates arse, I wouldn't be surprised if they force C# down upon us poor IT student... Still though, if that happens, I might be able to put it to a use and help you... You'll know in a few weeks when my college starts again
Old 08-26-2002, 12:01 AM   #3
Enzo

Enzo is on a distinguished road
I am interested in the building job. Please reply to me ASAP so I can start.
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 12:19 AM   #4
Ingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Enzo @ Aug. 25 2002,11:01 pm)
I am interested in the building job. Please reply to me ASAP so I can start.
Notice how he's talking about an entirely new engine? Let people first work on that and later on the actual building of the world...
Old 08-26-2002, 01:50 AM   #5
Zoulz

Zoulz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Ingham @ Aug. 25 2002,5:57 pm)
Finding C# programmers is going to be a problem, as will be finding a C# compiler. You will need to be able to compile your code and where as C and C++ compilers are available for free(GCC), a C# compiler would require you to pay a pretty penny.

Maybe that won't be a prob, but quite a few coders are amateurs (as opposed to paid professionals) and thus simply can't afford to experiement with C# because it's so expensive. ($200 USD for a bunch of books and a good attitude can get you quite far with C/C++)

Still though, I must admit that I admire someone venturing away from the old standards. While it wouldn't be my personal choice, it's still a nice thing to see, keep it up and good luck!

PS,
Maybe, MAYBE (Notice the big MAYBEs) I'll get advanced courses in C# programming next year, but I'm not sure. Considering my college is halfway up Mr. Gates arse, I wouldn't be surprised if they force C# down upon us poor IT student... Still though, if that happens, I might be able to put it to a use and help you... You'll know in a few weeks when my college starts again
The company I work for supply me with Visual Studio.NET so the compiler is no problem on my part. But it is not a cheap programming enviroment, I know. I would probobly never buy it personally. And then it depends on how honest you really want to be, a pirated copy of VS.NET can always be aquired.

I am an experienced vb.net programmer and I know my C++ too. So C# comes quite naturally to me. So i'm making good progress.

oh, and maybe it was a bit stupid of me searching for builders now...there wouldn't be much point in writing areas for the server yet as the format of the area files might change as development goes by. Or maybe I should utilize a SQL server for holding game data.
Zoulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 03:21 PM   #6
Neranz Laverani

Neranz Laverani is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Ingham @ Aug. 25 2002,10:19 pm)
Notice how he's talking about an entirely new engine? Let people first work on that and later on the actual building of the world... <!--emo&
Actually you can start creating the world while the codebase is under development.  All you need is a notepad or a text editor, and a lot of determination.

In fact, if you are truly dedicated, I would recommend this.  It takes longer to build a world than it takes to develop a codebase to alpha and beta.  The major drawback is that there is a complete lack of on-line stimulus and feedback that comes from having even a testing mud up.  Building while a codebase is in development is not for the faint-hearted, but it is possible.

Neranz Laverani, Seeker of Knowledge
Neranz Laverani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 03:27 PM   #7
Ingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Neranz Laverani @ Aug. 26 2002,2:21 pm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingham,Aug. 25 2002,10:19 pm
Notice how he's talking about an entirely new engine? Let people first work on that and later on the actual building of the world... <!--emo&
Actually you can start creating the world while the codebase is under development. All you need is a notepad or a text editor, and a lot of determination.

In fact, if you are truly dedicated, I would recommend this. It takes longer to build a world than it takes to develop a codebase to alpha and beta. The major drawback is that there is a complete lack on on-line stimulus and feedback that comes from having even a testing mud up. Building while a codebase is in development is not for the faint-hearted, but it is possible.

Hmm, building the general room descriptions and the like, you mean? Well, you got a point, that's very possible, however, I was talking about actually building the areas themself complete with thei scripts, programs or whatever you call them. Sure, you can plan them in, but you simply can't actually make them. Yet. Heck, you can't even be sure it would be possible to start with considering you don't know anything about the capabilities of a yet to be build codebase/mudengine.

Still, like you said, with a whole lot of imagination and determination you can still start with the room descriptions already...
Old 08-26-2002, 04:45 PM   #8
Neranz Laverani

Neranz Laverani is on a distinguished road
Aye, for the scripts you would have to write a note of what you would like the room, object or mobile to do; then return to the note later when you know what the code can do.

Neranz Laverani is offline   Reply With Quote

dotNET server - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TMS Server Move imported_Synozeer TMS Announcements and Feedback 8 10-10-2006 10:59 AM
Mud Server Khadgar MUD Coding 3 12-31-2004 02:52 AM
Mud Server Project MUD Announcements 0 03-21-2004 08:33 PM
Server Issues Astin MUD Announcements 1 10-18-2002 12:56 AM
What is the best server for creating a mud? kaylus1 MUD Coding 19 06-11-2002 08:07 AM