Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Staff
Click here to Register

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2005, 08:56 PM   #21
direkenshin
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2
direkenshin is on a distinguished road
Delerak is already starting up a Dark Sun MUD that will be ripping off both Armageddon, and the Dark Sun world of Arthas.

He's -quite- experienced at being a flailing moron, trying to be t3h 3dgy.
direkenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:40 PM   #22
prof1515
Senior Member
 
prof1515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 791
prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by (direkenshin @ Oct. 27 2005,20:56)
Delerak is already starting up a Dark Sun MUD that will be ripping off both Armageddon, and the Dark Sun world of Arthas.
Even more incomprehensible than creating a MUD off most fantasy novels.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:41 PM   #23
prof1515
Senior Member
 
prof1515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 791
prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
OK, this is something. I log onto the site and find the above post from me on the "recent posts" lists. Yet, I neither posted nor edited it since last week, during which numerous other posts have been made. And yet, here it is listed above them as more recent.

Was another post made afterwards but edited out by a moderator or the poster themselves without note? Just curious. This is the second time I've seen this happen.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:04 PM   #24
arrowhen
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1
arrowhen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by (prof1515 @ Oct. 27 2005,00:36)
But to bastardize Harlan Ellison, 99% of MUDs are crud. But then again, 99% of everything is crud. :-D
It was Theodore Sturgeon, 90%, and you left off the end: "...but the remaining 10% is worth dying for."

arrowhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:42 AM   #25
the_logos
Moderator
 
the_logos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mill Valley, California
Posts: 2,301
the_logos will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by (prof1515 @ Nov. 02 2005,19:41)
OK, this is something.  I log onto the site and find the above post from me on the "recent posts" lists.  Yet, I neither posted nor edited it since last week, during which numerous other posts have been made.  And yet, here it is listed above them as more recent.

Was another post made afterwards but edited out by a moderator or the poster themselves without note?  Just curious.  This is the second time I've seen this happen.

Take care,

Jason
I think it's because there is a poll attached, and when someone votes it refreshes the poll. Just a guess anyway as I haven't examined it, but it seems to have been happening a lot lately whereas I never noticed it previously. Maybe some setting has been twiddled accidentally or on purpose? You reading any of this Adam?

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:00 AM   #26
prof1515
Senior Member
 
prof1515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 791
prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
4-->
Quote:
Originally Posted by (arrowhen @ Nov. 02 2005,23[img
http://www.topmudsites.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]4)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by prof1515,Oct. 27 2005,00:36
But to bastardize Harlan Ellison, 99% of MUDs are crud.  But then again, 99% of everything is crud.  :-D
It was Theodore Sturgeon, 90%, and you left off the end: "...but the remaining 10% is worth dying for."

Quote:
Originally Posted by
"I repeat Sturgeon's Revelation, which was wrung out of me after twenty years of wearying defense of science fiction against attacks of people who used the worst examples of the field for ammunition, and whose conclusion was that ninety percent of sf is crud."--Theodore Sturgeon, Venture Science Fiction, March 1958, mentioning his term coined in 1953.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Sturgeon's Law was first laid down at a session of the World Science Fiction Covention in Philadelphia, held over the Labor Day weekend of 1953. It was my second convention, so it remains fresh in my memory. Many of the writers and editors that I hadn't met in Chicago, the year before, I met there: Randall Garrett, Bob Sheckley, Bob Silverberg, Harlan Ellison, Philip Jose Farmer, Ted Cogswell (who arrived on his motorcycle), all the young Turks, and some of the older ones such as Isaac Asimov, L. Sprague de Camp, and Willy Ley (whom I had at least seen in Chicago), and others whom I may have forgotten or overlooked. And Ted Sturgeon, who had brought along his 12-stringed guitar and sang Strange Fruit upon one occasion.

Of course what became known as Sturgeon's Law was then only a sentence in a talk that Ted gave to the entire convention; total membership was only 750, and there was no need for separate programming. The general thrust of Ted's remarks was that science fiction was the only genre that was evaluated by its worst examples rather than its best. "When people talk about the mystery novel," Ted said, as I remember, "they mention The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep. When they talk about the western, they say there's The Way West and Shane. But when they talk about science fiction, they call it 'that Buck Rogers stuff,' and they say 'ninety percent of science fiction is crud.' Well, they're right. Ninety percent of science fiction is crud. But then ninety percent of everything is crud, and it's the ten percent that isn't crud that is important. and the ten percent of science fiction that isn't crud is as good as or better than anything being written anywhere."
--James Gunn, The Ultimate Egoist : Volume 1 The Complete Stories of Theododore Sturgeon, 1995.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
"Ninety-nine percent of science fiction is crud; but then again, ninety-nine percent of everything is crud."--Harlan Ellison, himself bastardizing Sturgeon's Law in an interview.
So yes, you're correct that it's Sturgeon's Law.  However, I was citing Ellison's more pessimistic version since it is more accurate as far as life is concerned.  Sturgeon was too generous to suggest only 90% of anything is crud.

Don't believe me?  Go surf this site's MUD search engine.

*grin*

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Midkemia Mud - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Midkemia Online seeks builders. the_logos Advertising for Staff 1 01-16-2006 03:22 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014