Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Staff
Click here to Register

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2003, 03:41 PM   #21
welcor
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Aarhus, Denmark, Europe
Posts: 59
welcor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to welcor
Quote:
Originally Posted by (the_logos @ July 27 2003,20:41)
Many full-time jobs are only 40 hours a week. We have had a huge range of people volunteer to help the community, spending significant amounts of time.

...snip of job descriptions...

I'm sure we're not alone here in having a diverse group of admins. The stereotypes that even some mudders have about other mudders are a bit off sometimes I think.
I'm not sure you (nor Kavir) quite got what I meant.

A person might be working 40 hours (or studying/teaching/whatever) and still have time to mud. I agree. But I can't see how anyone can maintain a real life (with stress on the word life) and still mud 40 hours on top of that. I've been mudding seriously in the past myself, and to get those 40+ hours/week, you have to lose some relationships in the real world, simply because there's not time for them.

If you're involved with a girl/boyfriend (and yes it could be of the same sex ), this person will take a considerable amount of time. If you have a job, some friends to see, some family, etc., it is nearly impossible to get those  40 hours per week. The same goes for any hobby, actually. Whether you spend your time kite-surfing or building ships in bottles, 40 hours per week is a long time if you wish to function socially as well.

Thus, my question still stands:
Do you prefer people with no real life to run your mud?

Oh, btw - there's nothing wrong with answering yes to this question. It merely shows you value your product (the mud) higher than your employees (the staff). Lots of companies do this.
welcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 05:33 PM   #22
Ogma
Member
 
Ogma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: DartMUD
Posts: 86
Ogma is on a distinguished road
Welcor, I think you misinterpreted what he said.

He said, 1500 hours play experience and another 500 hours as an apprentice before they become a full admin.
That's the equivalent of a year at 40 hours a week, but it is not required to do it all in a year. It can be 2 years at 20 hours a week, 4 years at 10 hours a week, etc. Do the math, there's no requirement to give up your life.
Ogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 06:43 PM   #23
the_logos
Moderator
 
the_logos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mill Valley, California
Posts: 2,298
the_logos will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by (welcor @ July 27 2003,15:41)
Thus, my question still stands:
Do you prefer people with no real life to run your mud?

Oh, btw - there's nothing wrong with answering yes to this question. It merely shows you value your product (the mud) higher than your employees (the staff). Lots of companies do this.
I prefer the most competent people possible who also have the time to make themselves useful. You can extrapolate from that what you will.

What we value are the stakeholders of the mud. That includes the players, the employees, the volunteers, the investors, etc.

I'll tell you what though: While we're in the suite of rooms we we get every year in Vegas (or somewhere else nice) for the admins, you can stop by and ask them how the way we treat them compares to the way they've been treated on any other mud they've admin'd on.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 06:45 PM   #24
the_logos
Moderator
 
the_logos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mill Valley, California
Posts: 2,298
the_logos will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Ogma @ July 27 2003,17:33)
Welcor, I think you misinterpreted what he said.

He said, 1500 hours play experience and another 500 hours as an apprentice before they become a full admin.  
That's the equivalent of a year at 40 hours a week, but it is not required to do it all in a year.  It can be 2 years at 20 hours a week, 4 years at 10 hours a week, etc.  Do the math, there's no requirement to give up your life.
Thanks. Exactly. The best probably tend to be the people who take 2-3 years to do it. So that's like 15 hours a week, or a bit over 2 hours a day.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:48 AM   #25
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by
I'll tell you what though: While we're in the suite of rooms we we get every year in Vegas (or somewhere else nice) for the admins, you can stop by and ask them how the way we treat them compares to the way they've been treated on any other mud they've admin'd on.
How about instead asking them how they feel their compensation compares to that of all other 40-hour-per-week jobs?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 01:18 PM   #26
Stilton
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 100
Stilton is on a distinguished road
KaVir:
Quote:
Originally Posted by
How about instead asking them how they feel their compensation compares to that of all other 40-hour-per-week jobs?
Aside from your continuation of the "40 hours/week solid" claim that Matt and others have already debunked:

Remember, these people started out playing a GAME in their leisure time. They were then offered the opportunity to take a leadership role within the game, a position that comes with responsibilities and perks. They accepted. Characterizing this relationship as exploitation of employees is laughable. Matt's got good legal counsel too- I'm sure he'd have looked into this during the AOL lawsuit.

How much will your GodWars II admins be paid? Nothing? :)

Stilton
Stilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 02:20 PM   #27
welcor
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Aarhus, Denmark, Europe
Posts: 59
welcor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to welcor
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Thanks. Exactly. The best probably tend to be the people who take 2-3 years to do it. So that's like 15 hours a week, or a bit over 2 hours a day.
I think this sounds - quite a bit - more reasonable, and stand corrected.
welcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 03:12 PM   #28
Estarra
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Home MUD: Lusternia
Posts: 189
Estarra is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by (macdaddy7 @ July 23 2003,16:25)
I am looking to become an administrator for a MUD, or I would also like to become a builder if someone is willing to teach me.
Going back to the original question (amazing how off topic these discussions become), I'd recommend making enquiries to new MUDS for builder positions rather than established MUDs, who most likely first look to their player base. Try running a TMS search for games that are "hiring builders" and whose status is "not open" or "open for testing". Presumably, if they're still in development and hiring, they don't have a longstanding player base to draw from and are interested in building/expanding. Further, I'd recommend when you make an inquiry, you send an area idea and sample room descriptions. Finally, I'd steer away from asking for a nebulous "admin" position, which most likely will be interpretted as asking to be a god. MUDs are much more interested in creative builders and will reward hard workers that produce quality areas with admin/god positions.
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 03:29 PM   #29
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Remember, these people started out playing a GAME in their leisure time. They were then offered the opportunity to take a leadership role within the game, a position that comes with responsibilities and perks. They accepted. Characterizing this relationship as exploitation of employees is laughable.
The point is that (1) Matt requires a huge amount of time investment from the staff (comparible to that of an employee), (2) doesn't pay them anything, and (3) makes a living (and from what he's said in the past, quite a good one) from running a successful commercial mud. But the part I really take exception to is the way he seems to think that his staff are getting a much better deal from it than those staff of other muds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
How much will your GodWars II admins be paid? Nothing?
I place no requirements on the other admin (indeed some of them have yet to make any contributions), nor do I make any money from the mud itself.

I can understand you being angry at me for disproving your arguments on the other thread, but that's no excuse for making equally poor arguments and comparisons on this thread. Why not cut your losses, act like an adult, and treat each thread as a separate issue?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 04:35 PM   #30
Stilton
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 100
Stilton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by
But the part I really take exception to is the way he seems to think that his staff are getting a much better deal from it than those staff of other muds.
From a staff members perspective, what they get for the amount of time they put in is probably much, much more than what they'd get from most free muds.

I see what you mean about the difference being Matt earning money from the enterprise, but if it doesn't bother the staff then it shouldn't bother you or I. If every involved party (players, staff, company) is happy with the arrangement , then who are we to complain? It's not like Achaea is some third-world sweatshop and staff is working for $0.10/hr 20 hrs per day because their families will starve otherwise. These are mostly well-educated people with plenty of leverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I can understand you being angry at me for disproving your arguments on the other thread, but that's no excuse for making equally poor arguments and comparisons on this thread.
You haven't actually addressed the points Mason and I made in the other thread exept to point again and again at a single FAQ entry that's not quite applicable AND is obviously intended as a general guide for the general public rather than as a definitive reference, but let's keep that over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Why not cut your losses, act like an adult, and treat each thread as a separate issue?
You've hurled cheap personal insults in both threads. I haven't.

I hope you didn't regard the Godwars II comment as a personal attack; I was pointing out that lots of time and get fun/satisfaction of contributing +neat vacation is arguably getting more for your effort than putting in lots of time and getting "just" the fun/satisfaction of contributing.

I haven't said that I feel your own reaction against helping someone else earn money with your mostly uncompensated effort is unreasonable. I'm just asking you to accept the idea that other people can reasonably disagree.

Choice of how we spend our free time is, after all, a question of opinion.

Stilton
Stilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 05:06 AM   #31
Grey
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Stony Brook/Chestnut Ridge, NY
Posts: 68
Grey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Grey Send a message via MSN to Grey
I think if someone want to have very hardcore requirements for admin on their MUd then they are entitled to that. In response to the ORIGINAL reason the thread was made; you don't want to be an admin. If you do, do what we all did - wait awhile (EARN it).
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:49 AM   #32
macdaddy7
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 28
macdaddy7 is on a distinguished road
Angry

Thank you Estarra, those are some good ideas. Now in response to Grey, I didn't post so people could tell me what to do, I asked a question and if you don't have an answer to my question, don't post at all.
macdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 12:14 PM   #33
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by
I didn't post so people could tell me what to do, I asked a question and if you don't have an answer to my question, don't post at all
That's not the way discussion forums work. You are allowed to post, and other people are allowed to respond. If you don't want other people to reply to your posts in certain ways, then your only option is not to post.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 12:51 PM   #34
macdaddy7
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 28
macdaddy7 is on a distinguished road
I'm sure you wouldn't like people to tell you what to do. I don't mind him posting his opinion, but he was distinctly telling me what to do, and I don't have to take that if I don't want to.
macdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 01:39 PM   #35
Tavish
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 130
Tavish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Tavish
Quote:
Originally Posted by
I'm sure you wouldn't like people to tell you what to do. I don't mind him posting his opinion, but he was distinctly telling me what to do, and I don't have to take that if I don't want to.
Now that thin-skinned and defensive are covered, all you need to do is demonstrate a hunger for power and you will fit the prototype for an immortal. Good luck!
Tavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:54 PM   #36
Wik
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: OtherSpace
Posts: 140
Wik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Tavish @ July 30 2003,13:39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by
I'm sure you wouldn't like people to tell you what to do. I don't mind him posting his opinion, but he was distinctly telling me what to do, and I don't have to take that if I don't want to.
Now that thin-skinned and defensive are covered, all you need to do is demonstrate a hunger for power and you will fit the prototype for an immortal.  Good luck!
But we haven't demonstrated exactly how he'll abuse that power yet. Maybe taunt him a little longer?
Wik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:23 AM   #37
Grey
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Stony Brook/Chestnut Ridge, NY
Posts: 68
Grey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Grey Send a message via MSN to Grey
As an admin, you'll have to deal with a lot more than people's opinions. I don't think you know what you're getting yourself into really. Shortcuts are not the path to success. I apologize if my statement seemed out of place, but I think I have a good deal of experience on the matter. or at the very least, a bit more than you do at the moment.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Administration - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ethics of Mud Administration. Thain MUD Administration 16 10-29-2003 05:53 PM
Head of Administration needed EmpireUK Advertising for Staff 0 02-05-2003 10:52 AM
Change of Administration Ntanel MUD Announcements 0 04-24-2002 06:56 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014