Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > MUD Announcements
Click here to Register

Old 01-17-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
the_logos

the_logos will become famous soon enough
I'm pleased to announce that Iron Realms has hired Chad McHenry, known as Traithe here, as producer for our next text MUD, based on the work of Raymond E. Feist. Until his hiring, Chad was the head admin and driving force behind Shadows of Isildur, a popular roleplaying-focused MUD.

Welcome aboard Chad!

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 06:19 PM   #2
Burr

Burr is on a distinguished road
WHOOHOO!!!

I think I'm going to cry. It's such a wonderful thing to hear. This union is a big score for the mud community. Not that Feist was one of my favorite authors but at least he's prolific enough to provide a lot of material. I'm sure the mud will be develop its own style and story, and be all the better for who is leading its creation.
Burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 06:36 PM   #3
Brody

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

I second that. Traithe is going to do a fantastic job with this project. I wish him luck, although I don't think he'll need it.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
Hephos

Home MUD: www.sharune.com
Hephos is on a distinguished road
Hehe gratz traithe!
Hephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:32 PM   #5
Bluewolf

Bluewolf is on a distinguished road
We'll certainly miss him. You guys are getting one heck of a guy.
Bluewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:53 PM   #6
Traithe

Name: Kite
Traithe is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the well-wishes folks, they're always nice to hear, especially from people I've come to respect here (and especially when I'm trying to convince myself I'm ready to handle this beast! ). Hope I can live up to your expectations!
Traithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:13 AM   #7
Jenred

Jenred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Until his hiring, Chad was the head admin and driving force behind Shadows of Isildur
Is this to say he will not be working on Shadows of Isildur as a driving force in the future?
Jenred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:27 AM   #8
the_logos

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Jenred @ Jan. 18 2005,01:13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Until his hiring, Chad was the head admin and driving force behind Shadows of Isildur
Is this to say he will not be working on Shadows of Isildur as a driving force in the future?
Put it this way: The project we've hired him for will be the newest MUD from Iron Realms. Our expectations are high and there's only 24 hours in a day, or about 4 less than he'll need to get ready for a 2006 release. So...

--matt
P.S. Chad: Our investors include the Grand Poobah of Evil and part of the contract we had to sign was that SOMEBODY'S soul gets consigned to everlasting torment in the Pit of Horrific, Horrifying, Horrible Pain if we fail. You're the new guy....but hey, no pressure!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:42 AM   #9
Traithe

Sorry man, but your Poobah ain't got nothin' on my civil procedure professor.

<pauses, considering the possibility that their Poobah might BE his civil procedure professor>

Er... is is too late to back out?
Old 01-18-2005, 03:12 AM   #10
Hephos

Home MUD: www.sharune.com
Hephos is on a distinguished road
Hey, you gotta update your signature now
Hephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:01 PM   #11
Jenred

Ah, thats unfortunate. Its sad to see people sell out, especially what seemed like good people.

Good luck to you.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:29 PM   #12
Sanvean

Sanvean is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Sanvean
Traithe's a great pick, a good and thoughtful mud admin. Congratulatins, Traithe, and good luck in your new endeavor! I hope Shadows of Isildur will be able to manage without your driving presence.
Sanvean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:59 PM   #13
the_logos

1-->
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Jenred @ Jan. 18 2005,12[img
http://www.topmudsites.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]1)]Ah, thats unfortunate. Its sad to see people sell out, especially what seemed like good people.

Good luck to you.
If by sell out you mean "move from a hobbyist to a paid professional" then sure, it's selling out, though that's like saying that a kid who learns to code as a teenager, goes to college for a degree in computer science, and then gets a job coding has "sold out", or that a writer who manages to publish a book as opposed to just giving it to his friends has "sold out."

The very concept of "selling out" as a pejorative is kind of a juvenile notion. I know I'm awfully glad my dad "sold out" and was able to, say, feed me when I was younger. I'm sure the kids of some of our partners and employees are very glad their parents "sold out."

I don't know your personal situation, of course, but unless you plan to leech off someone else's hard work your entire life, you best be prepared to "sell out" as well. Of course, the more rational way to look at it is, "Check it out! I can do something I love for a living! This is fantastic!"

--matt
Old 01-18-2005, 01:15 PM   #14
Arval

Arval is on a distinguished road
the_logos,
I've never really enjoyed any of your games. Thats not to say they are bad, thats just saying they aren't my style. With Traithe now working behind the curtain on your upcoming MUD, I may just have to give it a try. You have hired not only a great coder, but a great person.

Traithe,
Congrats. We never did speak much on SoI since I left for the military, but you helped me when you could, and I appreciate it. Shadows of Isildur is a great game. I still smile when I see some of the unique things, and say, "I helped come up with that idea!"

You are an amazing coder. What you have done from Harshlands to SoI is nothing short of extrordinary. I am a bit sad to see you go, but we all knew the time was coming. You have some times ahead of you, with the hire-on by Iron Realms, and as you finish law school. I hope you will stop by from time to time. If you are ever bored, shoot me an email, let me know how things are going.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I for one, do not think Traithe sold out. He was hired. The community should be happy for him. In life, things change. For now, I'm just going to keep promoting my favorite MUD...

----------------------------
Shadows of Isildur MUD
www.middle-earth.us
----------------------------

Keep well Traithe.

Reguards,
Alan M. Koziol
One of the first
Arval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:27 PM   #15
the_logos

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Arval @ Jan. 18 2005,13:15)
the_logos,
I've never really enjoyed any of your games. Thats not to say they are bad, thats just saying they aren't my style. With Traithe now working behind the curtain on your upcoming MUD, I may just have to give it a try. You have hired not only a great coder, but a great person.
I like to think we're getting someone with more than 'just' a coder's skillset too. I have confidence in his abilities as a designer and leader as well, which are skillsets equally as important as coding for what he's going to be doing.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:21 PM   #16
dragon master

dragon master is on a distinguished road
How RP oriented is this new mud going to be? Anywhere close to SoI?
dragon master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:36 PM   #17
the_logos

Quote:
Originally Posted by (dragon master @ Jan. 18 2005,16:21)
How RP oriented is this new mud going to be? Anywhere close to SoI?
Well, little to nothing has been decided about the game at this point, but it will definitely not be roleplaying required. Roleplaying required games are, with all due respect to those who enjoy them, not popular enough.

--matt
Old 01-18-2005, 06:02 PM   #18
Jenred

Quote:
Originally Posted by
If by sell out you mean "move from a hobbyist to a paid professional" then sure, it's selling out, though that's like saying that a kid who learns to code as a teenager, goes to college for a degree in computer science, and then gets a job coding has "sold out", or that a writer who manages to publish a book as opposed to just giving it to his friends has "sold out."
A hobby is an activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure. When your paid for your hobby it becomes your regular occupation.

Iron Realms Entertainment, from the information available on their site, and from general implications from their actions as a company thus far have not been to create products that people enjoy. Its been to create products enjoyable ENOUGH to have people pay for them, and to churn out many to cover many genres and thus get the most amount of people to pay for them as possible. Its stated that the company approaches game creation on a business model.

Unless my perception of Traithe was incorrect, I believed him to be someone who was not in it for the money, but rather creating an enjoyable product that everyone could enjoy equally. (Free, with no gimmicks attached). Iron Realms creates products where the advancement of your character is tied to how much of your real money you put into it. It would be entirely different if they were upfront, pay-to-play across the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
The very concept of "selling out" as a pejorative is kind of a juvenile notion. I know I'm awfully glad my dad "sold out" and was able to, say, feed me when I was younger. I'm sure the kids of some of our partners and employees are very glad their parents "sold out."
Money is not everything, I'm afraid. I'd much rather do something I enjoy, for free then, as I said, 'sell out', and make it my perogative to work money out of people.

You entire 'business model approach' to gaming and game-design is really divisive to what has always been a for the players, by the players type of community. All the original code-bases were designed with free-use as a paramount objective in the long-run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I don't know your personal situation, of course, but unless you plan to leech off someone else's hard work your entire life, you best be prepared to "sell out" as well. Of course, the more rational way to look at it is, "Check it out! I can do something I love for a living! This is fantastic!"
If I love killing people, and made a living doing it, someone would object likely. Personal gratification isn't always foremost. And I'm saddened that people would abandon their hobbies for corporate pittance.

Anyways, good for you I guess.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:43 PM   #19
Traithe

Jeez. I've always tried on a personal level to give folks the benefit of the doubt, but let me tell you, with some of the reactions I've gotten to this news over the past couple days in some cases it's become increasingly hard to do so.

I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who's wished me well over the past few days! I always feel a little awkward responding to posts like this so this will be the last time I do so, but after all the emails, posts and PMs wishing me well I felt a little obligated. So, thanks very much.

As for folks like Jenred, well, everyone's entitled to their opinions - even when they're ignorant and wrong. I suppose all I'll say is that I'm continually amazed at how childish and judgmental people can be on occasion - and heck, I spend a large portion of my schoolday reading about hate crimes and other such nastiness.

And for those who are interested, SoI will be quite fine. In fact, I imagine that it will continue to thrive, and three years from now I'll pop in and not even recognize the place. I've more or less been preparing for this for over a year now (stepping down for personal reasons, though not necessarily taking on another job), and so we've got two very excellent and capable people who will be taking the reins and replacing me. I suppose the fact that it takes two very fine people working in tandem to do the job I've been doing for the past few years, in addition to being a full-time graduate student and a part-time worker, speaks volumes as to one of the reasons I thought it was time for a change!

Anyhow. Thanks again and take care folks, I'll be lurking as always. <g>
Old 01-18-2005, 07:25 PM   #20
Angie

Home MUD: God Wars II
Angie is on a distinguished road
Congratulations, Traithe, and good luck.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote

Iron Realms hires Traithe - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iron Realms sucks! the_logos Tavern of the Blue Hand 129 09-30-2006 11:11 PM
Win $1000 from Iron Realms. the_logos MUD Announcements 1 03-09-2006 08:57 PM
Iron Realms is hiring! the_logos Advertising for Staff 12 12-15-2004 07:18 AM
Iron Realms on IGN the_logos MUD Announcements 0 08-16-2004 04:01 PM
Iron Realms on IGN the_logos MUD Announcements 0 08-16-2004 04:00 PM