Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 03:47 PM   #61
Samson
Member
 
Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: United Socialist States of America
Home MUD: SmaugMuds.org
Home MUD: Arthmoor MUD Hosting
Posts: 249
Samson is on a distinguished road
Re: Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandum View Post
I guess I'm one of the few that find it strange that US citizens, perhaps the only nation that allows unrestricted free speech, are so eager to censor whenever a teensy little bit of power comes within their grasp.
Except we don't allow unrestricted free speech. I can't yell FIRE! in a crowded room. I can't stand on a street corner and incite the masses to then storm the bank. I can't give a speech in which I say you're a child molester if it's not true. And this is concerning government, with criminal and civil penalties.

Yet, it seems to me that your position is that TMS should allow unrestricted free speech. While disregarding that TMS isn't a government body. It's a private organization with the ability to create its own rules for membership.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #62
Milawe
Senior Member
 
Milawe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: USA
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Posts: 653
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Except we don't allow unrestricted free speech. I can't yell FIRE! in a crowded room. I can't stand on a street corner and incite the masses to then storm the bank. I can't give a speech in which I say you're a child molester if it's not true. And this is concerning government, with criminal and civil penalties.

Yet, it seems to me that your position is that TMS should allow unrestricted free speech. While disregarding that TMS isn't a government body. It's a private organization with the ability to create its own rules for membership.
Quoted for truth!

People often misunderstand what "freedom of speech" is in the US. It's a legal term that has very specific applications, and it really can't be applied to a forum. Granted, some forums do allow unrestricted free speech. I don't traffic those.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #63
scandum
Senior Member
 
scandum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 309
scandum will become famous soon enough
Re: Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Except we don't allow unrestricted free speech. I can't yell FIRE! in a crowded room. I can't stand on a street corner and incite the masses to then storm the bank. I can't give a speech in which I say you're a child molester if it's not true. And this is concerning government, with criminal and civil penalties.
Regardless, I can say things on US sites without persecution that would get me a visit from the police if I said it on a Dutch site, and I'm grateful for that. At best some women will deem me unfit breeding material because they dislike what they believe to be my political viewpoints, which suits me as well as a woman disliking me for my skin color.

But what good is freedom of speech if it's invaded everywhere you go? Removing sleep leaving a 16 hour day if you spend 2 hours a day on TMS that's 15% of your life you don't have freedom of speech. If you spend 8 hours at work that's another 50% of your life without freedom of speech. If your wife doesn't allow you free speech that basically leaves you to road rage in your car on your way to work, which unsurprisingly happens to be what a lot of Americans do. So much for your rights and dignity, which you throw out of the window for some silly social stigmas.
scandum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:33 PM   #64
the_logos
Moderator
 
the_logos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mill Valley, California
Posts: 2,301
the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandum View Post
But what good is freedom of speech if it's invaded everywhere you go? Removing sleep leaving a 16 hour day if you spend 2 hours a day on TMS that's 15% of your life you don't have freedom of speech. If you spend 8 hours at work that's another 50% of your life without freedom of speech. If your wife doesn't allow you free speech that basically leaves you to road rage in your car on your way to work, which unsurprisingly happens to be what a lot of Americans do. So much for your rights and dignity, which you throw out of the window for some silly social stigmas.
See, what you sound like want to do is take someone's private property (TMS) and tell him how to run it. Part of freedom is the freedom to do with what is yours as you wish, within various limits. TMS is Lasher's. You seem to wish to rob him of his freedom to do with as he wishes with that which is his.

Would you appreciate someone coming to a party you threw and spending all his time screaming, "I HATE <pick your racial/religious/cultural/whatever minority?" Or would you decide that your freedom to run YOUR party as you wish is a lot more important than his freedom to act like a jerk and tell him to knock it off or get out? Are you violating his freedom of speech by doing so? Of course not, because there is no freedom to behave like that at someone else's party/in someone else's living room/on someone else's forums.

If you want to exercise freedom of speech in a forum, it is extremely cheap to simply start your own. Then you can exercise it all you like. What you're asking for isn't freedom of speech, but the freedom to intrude on other people's property, which is not a freedom that is protected in most cases, barring special circumstances (such as the UK laws protecting people's ability to use traditional hiking paths even if they cut through private property)

You have freedom of speech, within limits. What you don't have is carte blanche to do whatever you want with/on someone else's property, just like I do not have carte blanche to come into your living room and make myself comfortable regardless of whether you object or not.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:35 AM   #65
scandum
Senior Member
 
scandum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 309
scandum will become famous soon enough
Re: Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_logos View Post
See, what you sound like want to do is take someone's private property (TMS) and tell him how to run it. Part of freedom is the freedom to do with what is yours as you wish, within various limits. TMS is Lasher's. You seem to wish to rob him of his freedom to do with as he wishes with that which is his.
Nope, I'm simply voicing my opinion. Now what you are doing is much more offensive and intruding. What you do is speak in the name of Lasher, telling me how Lasher feels about things, and how I should act because you have a psychic hotlink to Lasher and know exactly how he wants everyone to behave.

Would you appreciate it if I come to a party you threw and tell people that they cannot complain, and speak softly because they're on Logos' property and should keep their traps shut if anything obnoxious comes to mind because they're in Logos' house, and that Logos' can do with his property whatever the hell he wants. And that if they don't like that they should throw their own party?

Last time I checked you only own TIC and while I guess it's okay if you speak in the name of Andrew I'm not sure if Lasher appreciates your delusions of grandeur.

Of course you're free to pretend you're the one in charge here, and who knows, maybe Lasher doesn't mind you doing so at all, but your reasoning for why I couldn't voice my opinions is downright silly.
scandum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:37 AM   #66
Jazuela
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 843
Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandum View Post
Nope, I'm simply voicing my opinion. Now what you are doing is much more offensive and intruding. What you do is speak in the name of Lasher, telling me how Lasher feels about things, and how I should act because you have a psychic hotlink to Lasher and know exactly how he wants everyone to behave.
Scandum, NOWHERE in logos's last post does he mention how Lasher feels. In fact, the paragraph you included is pretty clearly -not- logos' assessment of Lasher's feelings, but rather, his observation of YOUR behavior.

In your first sentence, you say "I'm simply voicing my opinion." Great. You voiced it. Everyone's had a chance to read it. Move on.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:47 AM   #67
cratylus
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 153
cratylus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Moderation

Quote:
Of course you're free to pretend you're the one in charge here
I find it offensive that it isn't Lasher sending me threats,
but rather a mod. I've taken to CC'ing Lasher when I
receive them, because unless a mod is marked as
"admin", I don't see that they automatically have the
authority to out me on double secret probation.

Since I haven't heard Lasher object, I presume my
"thin ice" (and that's a quote from one of the PM's)
status is valid.

But I find it distateful that it's his people taking it upon
themselves to be tough guys, rather than him taking
his admin responsibility to avoid having a vacuum
where people step in and act like they're boss.

If Bob or Sue Moderator is in fact site co-admin, then
let's please have that documented somewhere.

For that matter, is there a mod list? How can you tell
who mods what board?

Is there a PM alias so that I can CC all mods?


Anyway, I've had another post deleted, this one
apparently on aesthetic ground, since I'm told
it violated no rules. I've been hunting around my
private thread cache and am still not quite finding which
one it was. It's quite tedious because my thread cache
is in ghostscript format and I have to grep by sight.

So I'd like to ask that if a post is in fact deleted, the
mods please take the time to specify which post it was
by quoting it, and explicitly declare the reason
for the deletion.

If I take the time to write more than one word in a
post, you can take the time to quote it in a PM
before deleting it.

If you can't be bothered to have a "flames" or "offtopic"
board to archive removed material, at least help posters
maintain *some* record for themselves of the erased past.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net/banned_crat.jpg

Last edited by cratylus : 08-31-2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typo alert! I meant "put me" not "out me"
cratylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:07 AM   #68
Xerihae
Senior Member
 
Xerihae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Name: Chris
Location: Wolverhampton, UK
Posts: 358
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
Re: Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratylus View Post
For that matter, is there a mod list? How can you tell
who mods what board?

Is there a PM alias so that I can CC all mods?


Anyway, I've had another post deleted, this one
apparently on aesthetic ground, since I'm told
it violated no rules. I've been hunting around my
private thread cache and am still not quite finding which
one it was. It's quite tedious because my thread cache
is in ghostscript format and I have to grep by sight.
On the main index of the forum, click the "Forum Leaders" link at the bottom of the screen which is located next to the "Mark As Read" link I believe.

If there isn't a CC there should be one, thanks for pointing that out.

As for the rest, if you really want to discuss this here then allow me to illuminate to everyone else exactly what happened:

1 - Tangent in "What is free?" about professional vs hobbyist.
2 - Post by you in "What is free?" that says ONLY something along the lines of "This discussion is a tangent and should be placed in its own thread."
3 - I toddle along, agree, and move posts to a new thread on Professional vs Hobbyist.
4 - As the basis for your post is gone, it makes sense to delete your post as it is no longer relevant to the "What is free?" thread since it contains no information regarding that discussion.
5 - I send you a PM telling you said post was deleted.

You seem to be implying here, and in PMs to me, that my judgement is questionable and you demand evidence that the post didn't contain any other information. It's funny really, as I've suggested to the other mods that any deleted post be moved so Lasher has a bit of oversight but it's something we're still discussing and in this case, as it was obvious the post had no value to the "What is free?" discussion, I didn't think it would be a problem. If you cannot remember what was in your own posts without me quoting them back to you because of volume of posting, bad memory, or just plain forgetfulness, I fail to see how that is my problem. At the end of the day it was my decision to make and I cannot allow whether you trust my judgement or not to influence how I do my job here. Nor can any other mod. You're perfectly within your rights to query why the post was deleted if you think I wasn't clear enough, but to imply that I'm wrong just because I no longer have the post to quote at you (or "I destroyed the evidence" as you put it) doesn't necessarily mean that I was wrong.
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:23 AM   #69
cratylus
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 153
cratylus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Moderation

Quote:
You seem to be implying here, and in PMs to me, that my judgement is questionable and you demand evidence that the post didn't contain any other information.
I demand? I guess you can see it that way. I asked
you to provide me with a quote of the post. I don't
think it's unreasonable to ask for the post to be
quoted to the poster before deletion.

I keep hearing the moderator workload here is vast
and staggering and so on, but quoting text is so
trivial and deleting posts so harsh that I think the
effort to quote is worth it.

As you your judgment, I hope you are not
suggesting it is beyond question. I can think of
very few people whose judgment is simply beyond questioning.


Quote:
It's funny really, as I've suggested to the other mods that any deleted post be moved so Lasher has a bit of oversight
Are you saying not even Lasher can oversee whether a
post was rightly removed? That is surprising and
shocking, if true.


Quote:
it was obvious the post had no value to the "What is free?" discussion
In your opinion. Since I spent the time to type it out,
I obviously differ on that. The least I can expect
is for my effort in contributing to the site to be
respected just enough by a mod so that they realize
maybe their opinion of the post is not 100% objective
universal fact.


Quote:
If you cannot remember what was in your own posts without me quoting them back to you because of volume of posting, bad memory, or just plain forgetfulness, I fail to see how that is my problem.
Oh, that's rich. So if you can delete posts without
people noticing, that's enough justification right
there?

Weren't you just suggesting something about
your judgment before? How does this position
reflect on your judgment?


Quote:
At the end of the day it was my decision to make and I cannot allow whether you trust my judgement or not to influence how I do my job here.
Not caring about the opinions of contributors
is poor judgment. In my opinion.


Quote:
to imply that I'm wrong just because I no longer have the post to quote at you (or "I destroyed the evidence" as you put it) doesn't necessarily mean that I was wrong.
I guess we'll never know.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net/banned_crat.jpg
cratylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:33 AM   #70
Xerihae
Senior Member
 
Xerihae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Name: Chris
Location: Wolverhampton, UK
Posts: 358
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
Re: Moderation

It's all a moot point, since from now on I'll be sure to move deleted posts to the mod discussion board so next time you try and show how corrupt the system is I can flat out prove you wrong.
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:36 AM   #71
cratylus
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 153
cratylus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Moderation

Quote:
It's all a moot point, since from now on I'll be sure to move deleted posts to the mod discussion board so next time you try and show how corrupt the system is I can flat out prove you wrong.
Moving rather than deleting is an excellent idea and I
heartily support it. However, since (presumably) I do
not have access to the mod board, I'm asking that
deleted posts please be quoted in the PM to the
person who wrote it.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net/banned_crat.jpg
cratylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:01 AM   #72
cratylus
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 153
cratylus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Moderation

<Snip: Please refrain from referring to deleted posts unless you wish to start a new thread - Xerihae>

I maintain, however, that it is a very good idea to have
a "flames" or "nasty" board to move these things to, that is opt-in-only,
so that people who do not get the vapors from reading
crude but earnest responses can judge for themselves.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net/banned_crat.jpg

Last edited by Xerihae : 08-31-2007 at 11:26 AM.
cratylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:11 AM   #73
chaosprime
Member
 
chaosprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Home MUD: Lost Souls
Posts: 199
chaosprime will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratylus View Post
t is a very good idea to have a "flames" or "nasty" board to move these things to, that is opt-in-only
Second that.
chaosprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:15 AM   #74
Samson
Member
 
Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: United Socialist States of America
Home MUD: SmaugMuds.org
Home MUD: Arthmoor MUD Hosting
Posts: 249
Samson is on a distinguished road
Re: Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratylus View Post
I maintain, however, that it is a very good idea to have
a "flames" or "nasty" board to move these things to, that is opt-in-only,
so that people who do not get the vapors from reading
crude but earnest responses can judge for themselves.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net/banned_crat.jpg
Or you could just show some respect instead of making repeated demands that have already been indicated will not be met. You yourself suggested, albiet sarcastically to Matt, that you should take the abusiveness elsewhere like TMC. Maybe you should take your own advice and quit antagonizing the moderators? At this point if you got banned nobody here would really need to question why it happened.

Having an "opt-in" flames board would be rather stupid as it would only encourage the behavior to continue so that folks who get off on being trolls would be able to point to it and say "see, I ****ed someone off again!". Personally I'd much rather the flamebait/trolling/etc just be deleted.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:20 AM   #75
Valg
Moderator
 
Valg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Posts: 643
Valg will become famous soon enough
Re: Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratylus View Post
I find it offensive that it isn't Lasher sending me threats, but rather a mod. I've taken to CC'ing Lasher when I receive them, because unless a mod is marked as "admin", I don't see that they automatically have the authority to out me on double secret probation.
Xerihae is one of the people Lasher has asked to keep an eye on this forum, which is why he gave him the ability to moderate its content. Given that moderators are publicly listed, I'm not sure sure what the problem is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratylus View Post
Since I haven't heard Lasher object, I presume my "thin ice" (and that's a quote from one of the PM's) status is valid.

But I find it distateful that it's his people taking it upon themselves to be tough guys, rather than him taking his admin responsibility to avoid having a vacuum where people step in and act like they're boss.
They aren't taking it upon themselves. Lasher has previously asked each of us to participate and help him manage the site. There were emails and private discussions. Sadly, no cookies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratylus View Post
If Bob or Sue Moderator is in fact site co-admin, then let's please have that documented somewhere. For that matter, is there a mod list? How can you tell who mods what board?
At the bottom of the main forums page is a link marked 'Forum Leaders' which lists Lasher's choices for each board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratylus View Post
Is there a PM alias so that I can CC all mods?
Not to my knowledge, though 'report post' and other buttons automatically contact the right people.

Last edited by Xerihae : 08-31-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: I'm a HE not a SHE! ;)
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:20 AM   #76
cratylus
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 153
cratylus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Moderation

Quote:
Or you could just show some respect instead of making repeated demands that have already been indicated will not be met.
Forgive me, I missed the post where Lasher said this would
not happen.

Maybe his post got deleted.

I'm not inclined to think that, though, so could you please point
to the post I missed that says this?

In any case, as I've said before, dissent is not disrespect.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net/banned_crat.jpg
cratylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:22 AM   #77
cratylus
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 153
cratylus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Moderation

Quote:
Xerihae is one of the people Lasher has asked to keep an eye on this forum, which is why he gave her the ability to moderate its content. Given that moderators are publicly listed, I'm not sure sure what the problem is.
I'm not questioning Xerihae's mod status.


Quote:
They aren't taking it upon themselves. Lasher has previously asked each of us to participate and help him manage the site.
Since I'm not in on mod discussions, I have no way of
knowing whether Lasher authorizes mods to issue
ban threats.


-Crat
http://lpmuds.net/banned_crat.jpg
cratylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:29 AM   #78
cratylus
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 153
cratylus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Moderation

Quote:
<Snip: Please refrain from referring to deleted posts unless you wish to start a new thread - Xerihae>
My reference to the deleted post was the predicate for
my expression of support for an opt-in board. You
removed on-topic material directly relevant to the
point of my post.

Please put it back. Thanks.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net/banned_crat.jpg
cratylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:38 AM   #79
chaosprime
Member
 
chaosprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Home MUD: Lost Souls
Posts: 199
chaosprime will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratylus View Post
My reference to the deleted post
That one's pretty tough. It seems inescapable to me that moderation policies have to forbid resurrection of deleted posts.

If I were a moderator, I'd probably ask that, if their existence and nature were going to be the basis of a proposal, reference to them should be kept carefully abstract and nonspecific.

Last edited by chaosprime : 08-31-2007 at 11:38 AM. Reason: coherence
chaosprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:42 AM   #80
Samson
Member
 
Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: United Socialist States of America
Home MUD: SmaugMuds.org
Home MUD: Arthmoor MUD Hosting
Posts: 249
Samson is on a distinguished road
Re: Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratylus View Post
Forgive me, I missed the post where Lasher said this would
not happen.

Maybe his post got deleted.

I'm not inclined to think that, though, so could you please point
to the post I missed that says this?

In any case, as I've said before, dissent is not disrespect.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net/banned_crat.jpg
Not everything that happens on a site happens in full public viewing. I base my belief that this isn't going to happen on the fact that it's been suggested before and hasn't been done yet, and on my own experience as a forum administrator myself. I know I wouldn't put one of these kinds of things in place for that very reason. The concept of it is stupid and would be wasteful of database space to keep crap like that around. So I think it's reasonable enough to assume I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Dissent may not be disrespect, but the way you're conducting it here has been very disrespectful. You've all but accused the staff of being fascist and nazis. You make outright demands in an effort to get your way. I think they've been more than patient with you but even in the field of customer service there comes a time when someone crosses the line and are asked to knock it off. Maybe you can't see it, but it seems clear to me that you've been asked to knock it off. The only recourse left if you refuse is to punish you in some way.

In a retail setting, security would physically escort you out of the building. I know. I worked retail for 8 years. I've seen it done on occasion. The person will protest loudly, scream abuse, brutality, and even racism, but when all is said and done, there's a mountain of evidence to support the action taken.

On a forum, unruly posters will be banned from participation. I know. I run a forum and I've had to ban someone once already for exactly that. The person will protest loudly, scream abuse, censorship, bias, make demands, and even act like a raving lunatic, but when all is said and done, there's a mountain of evidence to support the action taken.

So are you trying to help them build this mountain on purpose?


On a side note, I always get a chuckle out of seeing automated profanity filtering blot out a word. Leaves so much to the imagination even when the original word is relatively harmless
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014