Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #101
Threshold
Legend
 
Threshold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Posts: 1,240
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerak View Post
Sure there is reason. We coined the damn phrase RPI. What makes an RPI MUD intensive are the set of "intensive" features such as perm death, no levels, no global ooc channels, *goes to check his first post*. Anyway the list goes on, you can go read it if you like. It's Roleplay Intensive not Roleplay Enforced, because it has a set of features that are intense features, and when muds who do not have these intense features use the acronym, it is demeaning to us who may want to try other RPI muds and yet see a stock ROM/CIRCLE/DIKU or whatever that doesn't even half 2-3 of the features on the list I described earlier.
Who cares if you think you coined the term. Who cares if you feel "demeaned." You sure as hell don't care about demeaning others, do you? Get over yourself.

You didn't coin the term MUD, you lack many of the core features of MUD, and yet you keep calling yourself RPI MUDs. But that doesn't seem to be a problem for you.

And frankly, some of the "features" RPI muds have are not, in my view and the view of many, intensive at all. Standing in a corner typing a command over and over to skill up is not "intensive" by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe you should use RSI MUD as an identifier.

And RPIs lack or completely ignore many "intensive" features that are standard on other MUDs, MUSHes, and MUCKs that call themselves "intensive." Many RPI features strike me as arbitrary and in some cases very unrealistic. But more power to you. Choose whatever features you want. But don't claim they are objectively better, more realistic, or more "intensive." That's where you go completely off the deep end and fail.

You have a set of features you like. They are not objectively better or more intensive than someone else's set of preferred features. So stop acting like they are, pick a specific term to categorize them, or STOP COMPLAINING when someone else calls their mud Role Play Intensive. You have a lot of choices available to you. Choose one of them and stop demanding that every other person and MUD in the universe obeys your every whim.
Threshold is offline  
Old 03-30-2008, 10:10 PM   #102
Delerak
Senior Member
 
Delerak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Name: Dan
Location: New York
Posts: 706
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
Who cares if you think you coined the term. Who cares if you feel "demeaned." You sure as hell don't care about demeaning others, do you? Get over yourself.

You didn't coin the term MUD, you lack many of the core features of MUD, and yet you keep calling yourself RPI MUDs. But that doesn't seem to be a problem for you.

And frankly, some of the "features" RPI muds have are not, in my view and the view of many, intensive at all. Standing in a corner typing a command over and over to skill up is not "intensive" by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe you should use RSI MUD as an identifier.

And RPIs lack or completely ignore many "intensive" features that are standard on other MUDs, MUSHes, and MUCKs that call themselves "intensive." Many RPI features strike me as arbitrary and in some cases very unrealistic. But more power to you. Choose whatever features you want. But don't claim they are objectively better, more realistic, or more "intensive." That's where you go completely off the deep end and fail.

You have a set of features you like. They are not objectively better or more intensive than someone else's set of preferred features. So stop acting like they are, pick a specific term to categorize them, or STOP COMPLAINING when someone else calls their mud Role Play Intensive. You have a lot of choices available to you. Choose one of them and stop demanding that every other person and MUD in the universe obeys your every whim.
Would you mind letting me know which core feautures of MUD that RPI MUDs lack?

Would you mind letting me know frankly some of the features that RPI muds have that are not intensive?

Just so we all are clear here:
inĚtense /ɪnˈtɛns/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-tens] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. existing or occurring in a high or extreme degree:

Do you not agree that having permanent death is an extreme degree? Do you not agree that having no levels is an extreme degree? Do you not agree that having no global ooc channels is an extreme degree? Do you not agree that forcing your players to register accounts is an extreme degree? Do you not agree that forcing players to submit their characters as applications is an extreme degree?

I'm confused here. Name me one feature that I've listed for RPI muds that is not intense and I will gladly never post again. But however, you cannot. As you can see I have listed the definition of intense and Roleplay Intensive Mud, stands for a type of mud, not the fact that the Roleplay is Intensive, and it is, because at RPI muds we make it more intensive with certain features. Whereas at other muds the roleplay cannot be as intensive, because you simply do not have the extreme degree of changes that we have. Period.

Every single feature that an RPI mud has is there for a reason. Intensifying the experience and the roleplay. Sure you can say you have good roleplay at another mud, but if it doesn't have these set of features, it obviously isn't going to that "extreme degree" that all RPI players agree upon needs to happen.

I don't know what else to write.
Delerak is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 02:44 AM   #103
Threshold
Legend
 
Threshold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Posts: 1,240
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerak View Post
Would you mind letting me know which core feautures of MUD that RPI MUDs lack?
I guess you are just skimming the thread. Go back and read The Logos' post about MUD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerak View Post
Do you not agree that having permanent death is an extreme degree?
Nope. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerak View Post
Do you not agree that having no levels is an extreme degree?
You have skill levels. 6 of one, a half dozen of the other. A level is an arbitrary number assigned to a player to determine the result of an action. So is a skill level. The only difference between a "level" and a "skill level" is the "level" amalgamates more things into a single number than "skill levels" do. If you use numbers behind the scenes to adjudicate results/die rolls, then there is no real difference. It is just minor, behind the scenes details.

I, like you, personally like skills more than levels. But I take the study of game mechanics quite seriously, and I understand that mechanically they have a very similar function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerak View Post
Do you not agree that having no global ooc channels is an extreme degree?
No, because it just moves to the forums, AIM, MSN, Facebook, TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, and Skype instead. It changes nothing. In fact, it makes things worse because then people talk OOC in ways that are totally unmonitored. Furthermore, that is just a preference. There is nothing extreme or intensive about it whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerak View Post
Do you not agree that forcing your players to register accounts is an extreme degree?
By that logic, WoW is the most extreme RPI of them all. They even make you provide a credit card!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerak View Post
Do you not agree that forcing players to submit their characters as applications is an extreme degree?
What is extreme about that? Hundreds of games require that. There are web sites online that can generate such stories automatically by just plugging in a few words like a Mad Lib. I think it is a good idea on RP games to require such things, but I don't think it is "extreme" by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerak View Post
I'm confused here. Name me one feature that I've listed for RPI muds that is not intense and I will gladly never post again.
Skill training through use is not "intense." It promotes and rewards scripting - e.g. someone standing with their face in a corner typing the same command over and over. Furthermore, it exists in tons of extremely "non role play intense" games - Morrowind, Oblivion, and WoW (in World of Warcraft, all of your skills train up through use). More than once in WoW I trained up my weapon skills by loading up on INT buffs and having a warlock friend banish elementals over and over so I could beat on them while they were immune. That was... not intense at all. Do you really promise to never post again? Not even a retraction and apology?

Also, I think permadeath is very often not intense. It lets you throw away a character and not have to deal with the long term ramifications of their behavior. You think it is intense to just die and start over? If the player wasn't allowed to keep playing the game, that might be true. But the reality is they get a clean slate. They get a full and complete do-over. A mulligan. In a lot of cases that is easier than having people use things against you that you did 8 RL years prior. Now, *that* is extreme.

See? It really is all just perspective and preference. What you think is marvellous and wonderful is only marvellous and wonderful for you and people who share your view. To a lot people, what you like is cheap, unbelieveable, unrealistic, and simplistic. Good thing for all of us that there is more than 1 game on the internet, huh? The difference is, non-RPI folks aren't the ones saying their way is the best, most realistic, most extreme, or most intense. So with that in mind, maybe you can stop being so superior and narrow minded? Maybe?

Who am I kidding? You are going to insist your way is still the best no matter how many people give examples of things they find far more extreme, realistic, believable, and fun. Oh well.
Threshold is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 02:52 AM   #104
Delerak
Senior Member
 
Delerak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Name: Dan
Location: New York
Posts: 706
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

No I've been keeping up with this thread, his post was in reply to Prof who believes that the RPI term is applied because the "original" rpi muds came up with it, so that's what dictates an RPI. I honestly don't care about that point of view, what an RPI is, essentially what anything is, is in relation to what the person reading or thinking about it wants it to be. The only problem here is, we have the people who play the muds with these set of extreme features, and I use extreme because they are extreme compared to other muds.

Your analogy about world of warcraft is absolutely ridiculous, the fact that they require accounts has nothing to do with the fact that normal MUDs do not. This deters from the norm of muds, hence the word "Extreme" or intense. It's the reason the adjective was chosen originally, because everything about "RPI" muds are to more an extreme and intensive.

You know very well that having global ooc channels won't deter any players from using any other instant messenger, the ooc channels do one thing and one thing only for an RP mud they detract from staying in-character and from the roleplay in general. In the middle of a play do you think the actors stop to take a break and talk about the final four basketball games or should we allow players to chat it up in the middle of an intense roleplaying session? I think not. You breed your players but what features you take and give to them. RPI muds take this feature for many different reasons, and to say that it doesn't detract from roleplay is quite ignorant on your behalf.

Either way, no matter how many analogies any of us use, neither side will understand the other. Because we're obviously from different stock. The fact remains that the acronym RPI was coined by a certain type of mud, and the fact remains that other muds that think they have "great roleplaying" want to use the term, and it ****es us off.

Well it ****es me off, I can't speak for the rest of the RPI mudding community.
Delerak is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 02:54 AM   #105
Delerak
Senior Member
 
Delerak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Name: Dan
Location: New York
Posts: 706
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

Wow, ****es is being filtered?
Delerak is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 06:49 AM   #106
shasarak
Member
 
shasarak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Emily's Shop
Posts: 60
shasarak is on a distinguished road
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerak View Post
Do you not agree that having permanent death is an extreme degree?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerak View Post
Do you not agree that having no levels is an extreme degree?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerak View Post
Do you not agree that having no global ooc channels is an extreme degree?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerak View Post
Do you not agree that forcing your players to register accounts is an extreme degree?
(boggle) Definitely no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerak View Post
Do you not agree that forcing players to submit their characters as applications is an extreme degree?
No.

Not only are none of these measures particularly "intensive", there's a wider problem which you are failing to acknowledge: even if some of these features do, on "RPI" MUDs, contribute to an experience which could legitimately be characterised as "Intensive Role-Play", they are not, by any conceivable stretch of the imagination, universally necessary for intensive role-play.

The problem with the term "RPI" is that it does describe what an RPI actually is. Are you really so arrogant as to imagine that it is not possible for a MUD to be "role-play intensive" (lower-case letters!) if it does not include permadeath? Can you not imagine an intensive role-play experience in a game-world where all of the game characters are immortal in an in-character sense? To take an isolated example, perhaps, on dying, one temporarily becomes a disembodied soul which must prey on other souls of the fallen in order to acquire the energy needed to reincarnate itself. Are you so narrow-minded that you cannot imagine having an intensive role-play experience in a game-world with those rules?

I hope not; but if you admit that it is possible to have an intensive role-play experience in a MUD which does not feature permadeath then you must also admit that reserving the term "RPI" for MUDs which have permadeath is inappropriate: you're trying to use a generic term to refer only to a very specific phenomenon, and trying to ban other people from using the term in situations where it manifestly applies. Is a MUD role-play intensive? Then it's an RPI. That says nothing whatever about whether or not it has permadeath.

Frankly I don't care that RPI players were the first to coin the phrase "RPI"; all that means is that the original RPI players were short-sighted idiots when it came to choosing a name. It doesn't give you any sort of exclusive rights to the term.
shasarak is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 07:06 AM   #107
Xerihae
Senior Member
 
Xerihae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Name: Chris
Location: Wolverhampton, UK
Posts: 358
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerak View Post
Sure there is reason. We coined the damn phrase RPI. What makes an RPI MUD intensive are the set of "intensive" features such as perm death, no levels, no global ooc channels, *goes to check his first post*. Anyway the list goes on, you can go read it if you like. It's Roleplay Intensive not Roleplay Enforced, because it has a set of features that are intense features, and when muds who do not have these intense features use the acronym, it is demeaning to us who may want to try other RPI muds and yet see a stock ROM/CIRCLE/DIKU or whatever that doesn't even half 2-3 of the features on the list I described earlier.
Well I'll let everyone in on a little secret. Until this thread kicked off, to me RPI stood for RolePlay Intensive and as far as I was aware was just used by games who wanted to emphasise the fact they consider RP a very high priority. So, while you may have coined the phrase, it certainly has other meanings that people who haven't discovered that you coined it will think apply. This is why we are saying the acronym is misleading.

Oh, and whether a feature is intense or not in the area of roleplay is highly subjective and dependant on the setting of the world being used. I will maintain again that you say to be "RPI" perma-death MUST be used, but in my hypothetical world no-one dies because the Gods created a set number of consciousnesses and whenever the body is destroyed they are shifted to a new one. Perma-death is not intensive in my world, because RP-wise it makes no sense as it doesn't exist.

I will say again that what is considered intense roleplay does not necessarily equate to "as close to real life as possible" roleplay. it is entirely world-dependant, not real-world dependant.

I've noticed some good old personal attacks surfacing in this thread as well. Please, everyone, try and keep it civil. We may disagree, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss without descending into the pits of flame.
Xerihae is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 AM   #108
the_logos
Moderator
 
the_logos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mill Valley, California
Posts: 2,299
the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerak View Post
Either way, no matter how many analogies any of us use, neither side will understand the other. Because we're obviously from different stock. The fact remains that the acronym RPI was coined by a certain type of mud, and the fact remains that other muds that think they have "great roleplaying" want to use the term, and it ****es us off.
Similarly of course, MUD was coined for a single type of game (MUD I), but you don't see Richard Bartle whining that language evolves or that he somehow 'owns' the definition of the term (because, of course, he doesn't). The MUDs you term "RPI MUDs" have virtually nothing in common with what MUD originally meant, unless I'm missing something and the whole point of RPI MUDs is to run around collecting items and killing monsters in order to get to 102,400 points, at which point you became a wiz. And wasn't one of your RPI-definition points that the MUD have no levels? Levels were an integral part of the original definition of MUD. Are RPIs not MUDs because they've removed this core feature of what MUD originally meant? How about accounts? The original MUD didn't have accounts. It also had essentially no enforcement of RP, so one might say that enforcement of RP disqualifies one as being a MUD using the logic I've seen used here.

As long as you're going to call an RPI a 'MUD' even though it shares almost none of the core gameplay concepts from the original MUD, it's just wildly hypocritical to insist that the term RPI denotes a particular, unchangeable feature set.

--matt
the_logos is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 11:14 AM   #109
Jherlen
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 47
Jherlen is on a distinguished road
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

Funnily enough, not even all the games that listed themselves on RPImud.com (a site that was formed especially for 'RPI' games), have identical or even nearly-identical features. Some of them have global channels, others have no permanent death. Perhaps the 'RPI' term originally stood for a few games (Armageddon/HL/SoI/etc) that had similar featuresets, but perhaps it too has evolved into the more broad definition as any game which puts intense roleplay and realism first and foremost.

If you'll allow me to derail just a moment:

Quote:
Also, I think permadeath is very often not intense. It lets you throw away a character and not have to deal with the long term ramifications of their behavior. You think it is intense to just die and start over? If the player wasn't allowed to keep playing the game, that might be true. But the reality is they get a clean slate. They get a full and complete do-over. A mulligan. In a lot of cases that is easier than having people use things against you that you did 8 RL years prior. Now, *that* is extreme.
I have to disagree here. It's true, permadeath gives you a "clean slate" in terms of a new character, but usually this isn't want players want. They're also losing everything they've invested in the old character -- all the skills, all the loot, all the IC relationships and advancements. In the context of a roleplaying game based around storytelling, the last thing a player wants is for their beloved character's story to end. It's a good mechanism for encouraging players to play their characters as realistic people who have an actual fear of death -- because the player has that fear, too. Going through that experience as a player, looking death in the face with a PC you've invested a good deal of time and emotion in, is very assuredly intense, whether or not your character lives through it. Granted, permadeath isn't the right mechanic for every game, but I'd have a hard time really getting into a serious roleplaying game that didn't have those ultimate consequences after being used to games that do.

/derail
Jherlen is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 AM   #110
nass
Member
 
nass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 128
nass is on a distinguished road
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

As an outsider:
  • The phrase "role playing game" has been around as long as MUDs have. It predates MUDs. We all know what it's about, a fantasy setting where you assume a role etc. Just about all of us are a "role playing game" of some sort or another.
  • "RPI" as a specific acronym, seems to be solely MU* based. I havn't see it anywhere outside the MU* community.

My exceedingly ignorant observation would be this. It does feel as if some are trying to push this "RPI" label as some sort of indicator of quality (the 'intense' bit). And something as subjective as that will always attract controversy, because, despite what anyone might believe, there is surely no "correct" answer. Each person defines quality in their own way. For some roleplayers, any game with realdeath isn't quality. For some roleplayers, any game with strong PK aspects detracts from its RP quality.

My suggestion would be this, rather than trying to define some absolute and complete set of features that MU*s must have to qualify for the supreme accolade of being "RPIs", if you want to help MUDders, consider some sort of profiling system in which site users can configure their own personal preferences to create their own custom MU* ranking list. That way, the folks who look for the features RPIs have will be able to see which MU*s satisfy their criteria.

Clear definitions are useful though, so kudos for trying. I wish there was a clear and accepted definition for "free" MU*.
nass is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #111
Mabus
Member
 
Mabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 213
Mabus is on a distinguished road
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nass View Post
It does feel as if some are trying to push this "RPI" label as some sort of indicator of quality (the 'intense' bit). And something as subjective as that will always attract controversy, because, despite what anyone might believe, there is surely no "correct" answer. Each person defines quality in their own way.
Quote of the Thread Award!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nass View Post
I wish there was a clear and accepted definition for "free" MU*.
And I wish MUDs would not force me to rent!
Mabus is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 04:54 PM   #112
Spoke
Member
 
Spoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 101
Spoke is on a distinguished road
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

For full disclosure, the following is an opinion only regarding what I understand by RPI when I read the words of the acronym (not based specifically on Derelak's definition) from the point of view of someone who has sparsely tried to play RP online games but has played MUDs of other categories for years, so bear with me if you would.

Must have's:
  • A clear story line / background
  • A clear set of (meta)physics laws governing the world
  • A way for players to interact with the world consistent with the set laws
  • A way for players to interact with each other following the determined laws
  • A way to control the adherence to the laws on the player side

As I see it, part of the list set forth in this thread deals with the server-client interaction, be it existence of not of custom emotes, or how easy it is to put forth your own original emotes, etc.

It dwells some into preventing communication that is not strictly in-character, yet does not address the need for a spiritual/self reflective/schizophrenic or however-you-call-it side that allows you to interact with yourself in meditation, fear, etc.

It goes into murky areas as the need to remove levels yet does not require justification for any other measurable (internal or external) in-game feature.

Adds unneeded requirements (assuming the list on the 1st page is being updated) as crafting, that would leave a game like Age of Reptiles out of question, yet does not justify why.

Accounts/Multi-playing, these are two things that cannot realistically be enforced, even more, by trying to enforce them the truly skilled people who go undetected (defining skill as being able to fool the admins) benefit even more from the 'cheating'. This problem is exacerbated when the natural flow of events is slowed down (lag-less with delay)

It is blind to the fact that there is a thing like having too much realism. If it is unreasonable that you would be able to cross the world in a few seconds it should be so as well that you would spend the same time crossing a town than traveling between two towns, yet, walking through a town might give you plenty of opportunities to interact with other players (what I thought RP MUDs were for in a sense) while the path to a distant town is not necessarily as crowded as a town and hence should provide with less RP-interaction chance. In terms of being realistic or not, if 1 city square is 33 ft/10 m wide and a wilderness square is 330 ft/100 m wide, should then each move within a city square take roughly 10 seconds and one on the wilderness 100 seconds for the sake of realism (assuming humanoid forms at Homo-Sapiens walking rate) would that add anything to the actual playing experience? or is it enough to have an 'Okarina of Time' type of transport that everybody but the newly recruited knows is necessary to not die of boredom that takes you where you want in a reasonable amount of time?

I believe RPI as a game genre should make it clear that even though you are aiming for immersion on the game world, the expectation more often than not is that you will play a significant role in the events of the world, even if you are playing the town fool or the beggar, I doubt there are many players who will be content by playing said beggar over, and over, and over, by just sitting on the same corner without much more hope than to get enough for a bread before going back to their fox hole, yet, "realistically", there should be someone falling into this category in most MUD settings I have seen described.

These points lead me to suggest that the simpler the game idea, the simpler the player options and character options, the easier it is to immerse yourself into role playing. This is one of the reasons why I felt in love with Age of Reptiles, because the rules are simple, basic. Even if the game itself has not a huge range of tools for emoting or is finished in any form, it allows you to play what you are told you are. Your only tools are what nature (as defined in the game) gives you, it has many of the requirements listed forth in your list, but more importantly, it is actually possible to go into the world and have a clear idea of what to expect, from the perspective of the average person logging into the game. Armageddon is beautifully built, with extensive description of their races, their world the magic, etc. But unless you read of all the lore the average inhabitant SHOULD know, you are going to walk around like a mumbling idiot for a while until you figure out who is who and where things are etc.

Anyway, enough for the monthly (or worse) post.
Spoke is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 05:10 PM   #113
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,382
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

Again Xerihae and Logos explain perfectly that insanity of this thread. But just to be clear, Delerek did NOT coin the phrase RPI. He uses "we" as if he was part of the original three games. He wasn't. Let's not try to be Al Gore and say we invented the internet next.

On a side note, Threshold, where there hell did you get the term Trolluk (by the way I like your new avatar better, it is more permadeathish and RPI'ish), we have a race called Trolahk in NW and frankly I think we should start our own thread arguing over that term. Or better yet, let is redefine RPI as any game that has some form of Race that starts with Trol---something. That is really the only fair way to define the term for pure clarity.
Newworlds is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 10:03 PM   #114
Fifi
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 227
Fifi is on a distinguished road
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

I don't know or care if what we refer to as rpis are "better." I don't care if permadeath is "better." I just want to weed out all the games that don't have permadeath in 25 words or less. Someone come up with a name, let's use it and move on.
Fifi is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 10:18 PM   #115
Jazuela
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 843
Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

There already is a name for it. Unfortunately a few voices here don't like the name and want it changed. Most members of this forum haven't cared enough to offer an opinion one way or another. Several people have stated that it -has been- this name for many years, and have even pointed to posts from years ago to cite actual sources of its use. Several people have used the same sources to remind us that even then, the term wasn't liked, or accurate, or whatever. Whether or not it was liked, or accurate, or whatever else, it IS what was used then, and has been used up until now, and is still used now.

And yet, a very loud minority of the forum wants it changed. The vast majority doesn't think it's important enough to voice an opinion, and a very loud minority is happy with the status quo. Personally, I'm lazy. I'd rather just leave it how it is, because I don't feel like having to learn a new term for something that already has a term, unliked as it might be by that vocal minority.

Call them "Purple and Pink Polka-Dotted Games" if it floats your boat. I'll just keep calling them RPIs, because that's what they've BEEN called for over a decade, and I started playing them more than half a decade ago, and I'm stuck in my ways and have no inclination of changing them now at my old, addled age.
Jazuela is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 12:10 AM   #116
Newworlds
Legend
 
Newworlds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Posts: 1,382
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
I don't know or care if what we refer to as rpis are "better." I don't care if permadeath is "better." I just want to weed out all the games that don't have permadeath in 25 words or less. Someone come up with a name, let's use it and move on.
I do believe there is already an option to dictate whether a game has permadeath or not. I seriously wouldn't think it hard to find those games just by searching for permadeath.

I took five minutes to find your three muds that have permadeath. Here they are:

6 Dragons
Archaic Journey
SoulMUD: Age of Dogma

Shouldn't take long to try these three out!

(hint: My guess is that there are a lot more than three muds with permadeath. I think if it is such an important traight they ought to have it in their descripts)

Last edited by Newworlds : 04-01-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Newworlds is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #117
Mabus
Member
 
Mabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 213
Mabus is on a distinguished road
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
And yet, a very loud minority of the forum wants it changed.
When you say "loud" do you mean "by great intensity" or "tasteless"? Perhaps another definition?

The term "minority" is usually used for the smaller number of two parts of a larger group (skipping other definitions, as they likely do not appply). As about 6 posters of the forum have been on one side in this thread, and 15-17 others have expressed either a dissenting opinion, no opinion or somehow questioned the term RPI how do those not in the 6 out of 23 become the "minority"? Would not the 6 be the minority?

Not that what is said on this forum matters to the future of the term "RPI", but to address the "changed" part, the definition (if there ever was a set one) has changed according to the features of the MUDs listed at RPIMud.com (which was previously posted in this thread by Jherlen). Perhaps you would have an easier time getting them to de-list games you feel do not fit within your view, then afterwards trying to convince others.

I could care less if it changes or not, really. I have never called, nor have an intention of calling, the game I work on an "RPI". I will just call it by its name, and mark the features it contains. So I have no real dog in this hunt.

Things change. Definitions change.
Mabus is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 AM   #118
Threshold
Legend
 
Threshold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Posts: 1,240
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Most members of this forum haven't cared enough to offer an opinion one way or another.
Then you aren't reading. I offer once again: ARP - Armageddon style RP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Call them "Purple and Pink Polka-Dotted Games" if it floats your boat. I'll just keep calling them RPIs
That's fine. But then don't be upset when other people CORRECTLY call their muds RPIs as well, because their muds are Role Playing Intensive.

When you choose to use a generic term, you lose the right to complain if other people use it, co-opt it, or interpret it differently.
Threshold is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 04:56 AM   #119
nass
Member
 
nass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 128
nass is on a distinguished road
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
I don't know or care if what we refer to as rpis are "better." I don't care if permadeath is "better." I just want to weed out all the games that don't have permadeath in 25 words or less. Someone come up with a name, let's use it and move on.
If it's just about permadeath, would it be overly simple to suggest that you simply call them permadeath muds or permadeath roleplaying muds...? You could use PRAM as the acronym...

*ducks*
nass is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #120
Xerihae
Senior Member
 
Xerihae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Name: Chris
Location: Wolverhampton, UK
Posts: 358
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
That's fine. But then don't be upset when other people CORRECTLY call their muds RPIs as well, because their muds are Role Playing Intensive.
Quoted as it was basically what I was going to say. I couldn't care less what you personally call them, I only have issue with people who do use the term to refer to a specific feature set trashing MUDs that are using the term in the generic sense.
Xerihae is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014