Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Legal Issues
Click here to Register

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2006, 03:41 AM   #41
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Threshold @ May 04 2006,02:29)
I honestly wonder if TMS has EVER had a more biased and horribly corrupt moderator.
If you have a problem with me moderating the forum, take it up with Synozeer. But - and I will warn you only once - if you continue your highly unprofessional ranting and personal attacks, without adding anything of value to the discussion, I will just remove your posts.
KaVir is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 05:24 AM   #42
Anitra
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 123
Anitra is on a distinguished road
Threshold: May 03 2006,20:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by
What a crock. A post that you wrote on May 03 2006,11:56 in the real DIKU License thread got moderated slightly, and then lo' and behold, you start a new thread (about the same issue) a few hours later (May 03 2006,14:49) in a forum moderated by KaVir.

The very fact that this forum is moderated by KaVir makes it the complete WRONG place to discuss anything related to Medievia. He has shown himself to be totally irrational when it comes to the issue. His 10 year foaming at the mouth crusade proves that. Most reasonable people, even those who agreed with him 10 years ago (including myself, and apparently the DIKU creators as well), have moved on with their lives.

That is the only reason you created this thread in this forum which is discussing the exact same issues as The DIKU License.

I honestly wonder if TMS has EVER had a more biased and horribly corrupt moderator.
You know it's funny that you should bring this issue up again.
I got a post deleted on that other thread myself. (It wasn't the first time either).

It was a fairly polite one-line request that the moderator there should do some moderating to deal with your repeated personal attacks. His response was to delete my post and apparently a couple of others too, while at the same time keeping most of your insults in the thread.

I'll repost it here, for others to judge whether it was necessary to remove it or not, and whether or not it is an example of the 'unbiased' moderating that Threshold is asking for:

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Anitra, May 03 2006,03:46, (in the Diku Licence thread)

Why, given this declaration at the front of the thread, is Threshold allowed to keep up his repeated personal insults against KaVir and Valg?
Anitra is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 05:34 AM   #43
Soleil
Member
 
Soleil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 147
Soleil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Honestly, I find Medievia's marketing to be quite inept (no offence Soleil) and I end up strongly suspecting that the reason they are one of the biggest text MUDs now is probably largely because of all the attention the forum threads have given Medievia over the years.
No offence taken. We know our marketing is inept but we are waiting for Med 5.1 to be done before we really start our marketing campaign for Med V. Give us 6 months or so

Matt is right btw, all this free publicity is nice. As I said in my first post of this thread.. yay we're on the front page again! Now there's a thread started on Mudconnector too. Again, more free publicity. You may think that its all bad and the threads are so negative that no one would ever log into our game after seeing this. Think again. We get a lot more players from these sites during these 'flame wars'.

I know you think I'm smug and callous but come on, I've been through this same conversation for 10 years now. It does get quite old. Look, we are on page 5 of this thread and page 23 of the other. I think those numbers could quite well go into the hundreds if you folks push it there. Again I ask, to what end? To what purpose do you continue this discussion year after year? It changes nothing.
Soleil is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 05:43 AM   #44
Soleil
Member
 
Soleil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 147
Soleil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by
It certainly should be no suprise when people denounce their ethics and professionalism, though - they brought it on themselves.
Where do you see that we are surprised? No surprise here Don, Medievia's ethics have been denounced for the past 10 years now. Bottom line is that we have bigger fish to fry and really do not care that the 'mud community' (in my mind small potatoes, in your mind a HUGE group of people) thinks we are unethical.

Matt did sum it up nicely ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Medievia's done pretty well given that other people (all of us having this discussion, for instance) spend a fair amount of time talking about them. I think they also recognize that their attackers are fundamentally toothless because they are third parties to the issue and that the DIKU authors don't care enough to spend any energy to do anything about it. To me, that's the key issue. If they don't care enough to do -anything-, then it's just not a big deal. They don't feel they're being harmed enough to take action, and no harm, no foul as far as I'm concerned.
This is essentially why we don't care. DIKU doesn't care, only 5 or so MUD admins care enough to bring it up over and over on these forums. Keep bringing it up if you like. I will again repeat my mantra: It does nothing to change the situation.
Soleil is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 06:46 AM   #45
DonathinFrye
Senior Member
 
DonathinFrye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Name: Donathin Frye
Location: Columbus, OH
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
Posts: 510
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Quote:
Originally Posted by
This is essentially why we don't care. DIKU doesn't care, only 5 or so MUD admins care enough to bring it up over and over on these forums. Keep bringing it up if you like. I will again repeat my mantra: It does nothing to change the situation.
I don't start Medievia-based threads - I merely throw my support in a conversation where support is due. These threads flamed more often before I started using MUD forums at all, so it is only in my personal benefit to add in my two cents to an issue that probably will not die until either DIKU announces that they no longer care, or Medievia at least tries to make some attempt to repair the insult-to-injury they have done.

As far as how big the MUD community is - it is not the forum posters themselves that creates a large community. It is the fact that those who frequent the forums tend to be admins. Their opinions and ideas and ethics are naturally passed through them and into the MUDs they admin. This is easily traceable, sociologically. A group of 15-20 successful admins can effect the opinions of thousands and thousands of potential players. While that may not stop Medievia(I actually would never wish for any MUD to be shut-down, I only wish you would show some decency and respect), it certainly creates an awareness of the issue amongst MUDers both new and old.

That's my personal goal. If any of the other admins who happen to side with me(Anitra, Valq, KaVir, etc) on this issue have different goals, I cannot personally speak for their motives, though I assume that they are similar.
DonathinFrye is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 07:44 AM   #46
cron0s
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 36
cron0s is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by (the_logos @ May 04 2006,01:10)
There are a profusion of Star Wars, Dragonball, etc etc MUDs all operating without license from the IP holders.
I see you mentioned this in the other thread too, and while I take the point you are making I just wanted to correct you on one thing. Lucasfilm allows and even encourages works of non commercial fan fiction. Here's their Head of Fan Relations Steve Sansweet, quoted in an article on wired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
We believe our core fans are responsible for the continuing popularity of the series, and we want to encourage them. Our intellectual properties are there for you to play with, but we expect you won't try and make a profit or use our characters in a salacious way.
I found that quoted on the Star Wars Revelations site. If you haven't seen it I recommend the download. It is very impressive for an amateur film.

Fortunately I don't know anything about Dragonball.
cron0s is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 07:48 AM   #47
Valg
Moderator
 
Valg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Posts: 643
Valg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Soleil @ May 04 2006,06:43)
Keep bringing it up if you like.
I, for one, intend to make sure the issue doesn't fade. I wanted to give you a chance to at least refute the charges of plagiarism, because I didn't see how you could. I've seen you try to dance around the license issue (I think you're guilty there too, but at least there's room for debate), but this is so much more clear cut.

As another poster pointed out, if you're going to commit a crime, at least commit one for a purpose. You'll still be moral roadkill for doing it, but at least you'd have more spending money. Refusing to acknowledge the DIKU team's contribution is analogous to your decision to deride Synozeer's voting rules and refuse to comply with them. You gain nothing, lose the respect of community, and open yourself up to legitimate criticism for the foreseeable future.
Valg is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 08:26 AM   #48
Anitra
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 123
Anitra is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Posted: May 03 2006,187
Again I ask, why should we, a moderatly successful game company, bow down to the demands of a few people on these forums? Just to please you? For the good of the 'community'? Demand away my friend. Have fun. Nothing is going to change.
Why would you give proper credit to the Diku code that your Mud developed from?

Simple answer:
Because it's the right and proper thing to do.

But you obiously don't care enough about right and wrong to be bothered about that, so I'll provide you with some other reasons:

- Because for the first time in 10 years that might give Medievia some positive publicity on the Mud boards.

- Because it might save you some awkward explanations the day your children get old enough to go on the net, and ask you why the family firm is referred to as 'Mercthievia' there.

- Because having to constantly defend Vryce's actions in the past is corrupting your soul. (I case you wonder, I am talking about the same process that you yourself refer to as 'developing a tough skin'.)

You know, when you first came to these boards, you sounded like a pretty nice person, and I felt genuinely sorry for you. Now you sound like an echo of Vryce, and I don't feel sorry for you at all.

Keep telling us that we should direct the flames at Vryce instead of you. He doesn't come to these boards. You do. And although you consistantly point out that he, not you, is responsible, you also obviously support his actions. That makes you as responsible as he is.
Anitra is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 08:29 AM   #49
Fern
Member
 
Fern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 156
Fern is on a distinguished road
Even though the legal issue in question is that of license violation, it feels as if the topic continues to circle back to the game mentioned in the topic title. As has been pointed out several times, this merely serves to shine the spotlight on the aforementioned MUD.

If this debate is going to continue, perhaps it should be moved to a new thread, discussed as a legitimate topic of concern, and the use of the specific game's name minimized or even entirely avoided.  I for one do not feel like providing any continued publicity to the particular game itself, but I would definitely contribute more into an objectively discussed thread.

This is a subject that is regurgitated every few months, with precious little new fuel added to the fire.  Let's treat it with the seriousness it deserves, the professionalism it warrants and the decorum that I hope we're capable of... and for a change without providing even more publicity and listening to even more rhetoric regarding the unnamed specific game's lack of proper credits, its owners' ethics, its departing players' chastisements, or its remaining players' chest-thumpings.
Fern is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 09:01 AM   #50
Soleil
Member
 
Soleil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 147
Soleil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by
If this debate is going to continue, perhaps it should be moved to a new thread, discussed as a legitimate topic of concern, and the use of the specific game's name minimized or even entirely avoided.  I for one do not feel like providing any continued publicity to the particular game itself, but I would definitely contribute more into an objectively discussed thread.
This was done first, in the The Diku License thread.  Valg felt it necessary to create a new thread just for us, and therefore HE is the one responsible for giving Medievia the added publicity.  Thanks Valg.
Soleil is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #51
Soleil
Member
 
Soleil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 147
Soleil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Keep telling us that we should direct the flames at Vryce instead of you. He doesn't come to these boards. You do. And although you consistantly point out that he, not you, is responsible, you also obviously support his actions. That makes you as responsible as he is.
Of course I support him, he is my husband.   However, I really can't speak with all honestly about what happened before 1995 because I wasn't around.  For that information I rely on what Vryce tells me.  I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Because it might save you some awkward explanations the day your children get old enough to go on the net, and ask you why the family firm is referred to as 'Mercthievia' there.
Nothing awkward at all about explaining how a bunch of other jealous and zealous MUD admins stoop to namecalling and ethics arguments over an issue that should only be decided by a judge in a courtroom.  The fact alone that anyone calls us that nickname is proof enough that this whole issue is juvenile.
Soleil is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #52
John
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 252
John is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Soleil @ May 04 2006,20:07)
Nothing awkward at all about explaining how a bunch of other jealous and zealous MUD admins stoop to namecalling and ethics arguments over an issue that should only be decided by a judge in a courtroom. The fact alone that anyone calls us that nickname is proof enough that this whole issue is juvenile.
Could you please not lobby insults at people please? If you feel that someone has insulted you in this thread then at the very least PM the moderator for this subforum.

Also, do you believe all legal issues should only be decided in the courtroom?
John is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 10:19 AM   #53
prof1515
Senior Member
 
prof1515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 791
prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Soleil @ May 04 2006,10:07)
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Keep telling us that we should direct the flames at Vryce instead of you. He doesn't come to these boards. You do. And although you consistantly point out that he, not you, is responsible, you also obviously support his actions. That makes you as responsible as he is.
Of course I support him, he is my husband.   However, I really can't speak with all honestly about what happened before 1995 because I wasn't around.  For that information I rely on what Vryce tells me.  I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Because it might save you some awkward explanations the day your children get old enough to go on the net, and ask you why the family firm is referred to as 'Mercthievia' there.
Nothing awkward at all about explaining how a bunch of other jealous and zealous MUD admins stoop to namecalling and ethics arguments over an issue that should only be decided by a judge in a courtroom.  The fact alone that anyone calls us that nickname is proof enough that this whole issue is juvenile.
Perhaps you should divorce him then. I mean, he's an unethical asshole. If he's got no conscience about stealing, what's to say he has any concern about beating you or any children you may have?

Maybe he does beat you and you're one of those wives in denial of the fact that she's married to an asshole (the former may not be true, but the latter certainly seems the case). Hard to say without actually observation. You certainly don't seem to have the reasoning skills to ascertain right and wrong very well and seem to be overly-dependant upon his interpretation of things as a guideline for what is and isn't correct. Sounds like a classic doormat-wife to me.

One thing though, please. Don't have children. With your attitude about ethics, I seriously hope you never have any. If so, they'll end up being a pathetic lot of criminals if you intend to teach them ethics by example: "It's not really a crime, son, if it never comes to court. Just look at daddy."

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #54
Soleil
Member
 
Soleil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 147
Soleil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by
If he's got no conscience about stealing, what's to say he has any concern about beating you or any children you may have?
This is when I bow out of the conversation because I do not wish to stoop THIS low.  Once my family is insulted and threatened, it's just not worth it.  Have fun judging me and my family based on this inane issue.
Soleil is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 10:30 AM   #55
Threshold
Legend
 
Threshold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Posts: 1,240
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by (prof1515 @ May 04 2006,11:19)
Perhaps you should divorce him then. I mean, he's an unethical asshole. If he's got no conscience about stealing, what's to say he has any concern about beating you or any children you may have?

Maybe he does beat you and you're one of those wives in denial of the fact that she's married to an asshole (the former may not be true, but the latter certainly seems the case). Hard to say without actually observation. You certainly don't seem to have the reasoning skills to ascertain right and wrong very well and seem to be overly-dependant upon his interpretation of things as a guideline for what is and isn't correct. Sounds like a classic doormat-wife to me.

One thing though, please. Don't have children. With your attitude about ethics, I seriously hope you never have any. If so, they'll end up being a pathetic lot of criminals if you intend to teach them ethics by example: "It's not really a crime, son, if it never comes to court. Just look at daddy."
Bwahahahahahahahahahaha. Oh man, that is rich.

That post is a perfect example of the morals and ethics that are at the core of the Anti-Medievia crowd as well.

That is a perfect example of why this issue should be buried FOREVER and never, ever talked about on any MUD community forum.

That post is also, quite possibly, the most disgusting thing ever posted on TMS.

Congratulations Prof. I'd recommend a new handle for any future posts here.
Threshold is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 11:07 AM   #56
Valg
Moderator
 
Valg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Posts: 643
Valg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Threshold @ May 04 2006,11:30)
That post is a perfect example of the morals and ethics that are at the core of the Anti-Medievia crowd as well.
No, that post is prof1515's. He speaks for himself, just like I speak for myself and you speak for yourself. Please cease the sweeping insults.

I think it is disingenuous of Soleil to claim ignorance of any of the case's details (pre-1995 or otherwise), however, given her official capacity as Medievia's PR director. She could find them out rather readily.
Valg is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 12:34 PM   #57
Anitra
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 123
Anitra is on a distinguished road
prof1515, that post of yours was way out of line.
Nobody deserves a low blow like that.

You should apologise to Soleil, and to the board.
Anitra is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #58
the_logos
Moderator
 
the_logos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mill Valley, California
Posts: 2,299
the_logos will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Valg @ May 04 2006,12:07)
No, that post is prof1515's. He speaks for himself, just like I speak for myself and you speak for yourself. Please cease the sweeping insults.
Then I assume we can dispense with claims that "the community" is against Medievia, since it's only a few individuals speaking out against them and they don't, as you say, represent anyone but themselves.

--matt
the_logos is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #59
Valg
Moderator
 
Valg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Posts: 643
Valg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by (the_logos @ May 04 2006,14:01)
Then I assume we can dispense with claims that "the community" is against Medievia, since it's only a few individuals speaking out against them and they don't, as you say, represent anyone but themselves.
Please re-read the thread. Where am I saying that?

I was advised not to feed the trolls. If you have anything to say about the topic of plagiarism, feel free to pipe up. Otherwise, don't add to the problems that prof1515 and Threshold have been causing.
Valg is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 02:13 PM   #60
the_logos
Moderator
 
the_logos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mill Valley, California
Posts: 2,299
the_logos will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Valg @ May 04 2006,15[img
http://www.topmudsites.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img])]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_logos,May 04 2006,14<!--emo&<!--emo&[img
http://www.topmudsites.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]]Then I assume we can dispense with claims that "the community" is against Medievia, since it's only a few individuals speaking out against them and they don't, as you say, represent anyone but themselves.
Please re-read the thread. Where am I saying that?
Valg wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by
You gain nothing, lose the respect of community, and open yourself up to legitimate criticism for the foreseeable future.
Right there. Previous page in this thread. You only represent yourself when it's convenient, and then claim to inform us what "the community" will do when it's convenient.

--matt
the_logos is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools


Medievia and Plagiarism - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medievia V Soleil Advertising for Players 8 07-03-2006 12:12 PM
Medievia tyreblood Advertising for Players 14 01-04-2006 04:44 PM
New Changes to Medievia! Soleil Advertising for Players 4 10-09-2005 12:44 PM
Medievia V is here! Soleil Advertising for Players 0 06-28-2005 04:29 PM
Medievia Anzerion Advertising for Players 60 05-12-2005 08:10 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014