Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Staff
Click here to Register

Old 08-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Elvarlyn

Elvarlyn is on a distinguished road
Lithmeria - Builders Wanted

Lithmeria, The Endless Siege is looking for a few additional builders. If you're interested in contributing to what promises to be a highly innovative, exciting and flexible MUD, we'd love to hear from you. The Lithmerian codebase is incredibly versatile, allowing almost anything to be coded in without great difficulty. Create the hunting areas that feel like Dungeons and Dragons adventures. Create boss fights with multiple stages, many different attacks, summoned minions and a heavy dose of strategy. Create dastardly puzzles and fearsome beasts.

Lithmeria Quick facts:
  • Setting: Fantasy Medieval
  • Game type: Affliction/Balance MUD
  • Current Development Stage: T2 PvP Beta
  • Head developer: Selkrener
  • Roleplay: Yes please!
Lithmeria features for builders:
  • Full MXP support for building, simply click an option and then type in its value. For example, in the screenshot below, one could click "Name" and then type in 'Wide Entrance' to set the name of that room to 'Wide Entrance.' Right click "Environment" opens up a drop down list of various environments each room can be.
  • Automatic Map Generation with full MXP support. You can mouse over each room to see its name and number, click on it to travel there instantly. Placing the actual rooms is incredibly intuitive.
Code:
/-------------------------------------\
|              |       |              |
|         [ ]-[ ]-[ ]-[ ]-[ ]         |
|          |       |       |          |
|-[ ]-[ ]-[ ] [ ]-[ ]-[ ] [ ]         |
|          |     \   /     |          |
| [ ] [ ] [ ]     [ ]     [ ] [ ] [ ] |
|\ | /     |       |       | \ |   |  |
|-[ ]     [ ]     [^]     [ ] [ ]-[ ]-|
|  |       |               |   |   |  |
|-[ ]-[ ]-[ ]-[ ]-[*]-[ ]-[ ] [ ] [ ] |
|                  |                  |
|                 [ ]                 |
|                                     |
\-------------------------------------/
  • "Qualities" allows a builder to set a recurring damage or healing effect in a room, complete with custom message, custom relapse time, custom damage and specific damage type. Though you can't see it in the code capture below, qualities can be done entirely with MXP.
Quote:
Qualities - Quality Text: Your vision darkens as visions begin to overlay your sight. An unendurable pain strikes your temple and you nearly collapse, clutching your head. The pain recedes somewhat and you find yourself standing among a crowd of servants, maids and kitchen hands. The men and women beside you are translucent and seem only semi-real, like specters in a dream. They stand behind hastily thrown together barricades of chairs and tables clutching improvised weapons and staring in obvious fear at the door to the east. A loud explosion shatters the silence and the door is reduced to splinters. Before the dust has even settled Towerguards pour into the room, mighty weapons scything into the servants around you. An arrogantly smirking Arcanist enters the room behind them and seems to look you directly in the eye. The room spins and you find yourself back in the present, small icicles caking your face.
Tick Length: 600 Health Regen: 0 Mana Regen: 0 Blunt Dmg: 0 Slash Dmg: 0 Arcane Dmg: 0 Fire Dmg: 0 Cold Dmg: 30 Electric Dmg: 0 Poison Dmg: 0 Choking Dmg: 0 Bleeding: 0
  • "Ambience" allows a builder to set up to 6 unique messages that will occur at specified intervals within that room only. MXP enabled.
Quote:
Ambience - Length between ambience ticks: 130
1st Msg - A corpse rotates slowly on its hook, empty eyes seeming to follow you around the room.
2nd Msg - The sickly sweet smell of blood and flesh assaults your nostrils.
3rd Msg - One of the cadavers rotates slowly to reveal that half its face has been literally eaten away.
4th Msg - An icicle of blood and moisture breaks off from one of the cadavers and shatters upon the floor at your feet.
5th Msg - A gently swaying hook grazes your cheek, smearing you with the blood of an untold number of previous occupants.
6th Msg - A human arm lacking all five digits nearly brushes your shoulder as the cadaver it belongs to sways past you.
  • Mobile creation is incredibly flexible and can be done completely with MXP.
  • Mobiles are fully afflictable and can be fought in exactly the same way as players. All 150+ PvP abilities work on mobiles.
  • Mobiles can be given up to 5 custom attacks with effects and descriptions written by the builder through the AI's system. Mobiles can also be taught to use these attacks intelligently, employing AoE when teamed, using resistance debuffers before elemental attacks, healing themselves when low on health and so forth.
  • 10+ step quests include Lithmeria's unique Dynamic! quest system allows for the creation of truly unique experiences for players to wander through.
Applications should be made via our forums (link) in a PM to Selkrener. Create an account and send the PM across at your leisure. Your application should include a sample description for a room, an item, and a mobile. Also include an area concept that you think would be exciting to build for so we can see your creative side. This need not be work you've actually done for others MUDs, it can be a few freshly written sample rooms, mobs or items. Experience building for other MUDs is certainly a positive but is by no means a prerequisite.

We look forward to hearing from you.
- Elvarlyn

Last edited by Elvarlyn : 08-29-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Elvarlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:17 AM   #2
Elvarlyn

Re: Lithmeria - Builders Wanted

Lithmeria is still very much on the lookout for people with the patience and creativity to contribute to building.

We believe that our online building client is literally second to none, incorporating all the features listed in the post below and several more. I should also note that the average time it takes to have a completely new feature added to the building code seems to be about 20 minutes from when you first bring it up with Selkrener (our head coder) to when you can start playing with it.

To apply to become a builder, create a forum account here and send a forum message to Selkrener adding a few rooms/mobs/items you've described. If you've never built before, that's ok, send us any small sample of your writing (even something you write just for the application) and in no time you'll be designing rooms left right and center!

To rehash the currently available features:
  • Full builder MXP support: Click on a property and then type in what you want it to be, easy as that.
  • Easy room generation: Use the simple commands to generate new rooms and exits.
  • Special Exit Support: Use MXP to designate special exits with custom messages and custom conditions. Rope ladders, mystical portals or whatever else your imagination comes up with are only a click away.
  • Fully automated mapping: Every room you add is automatically added to the map and can be viewed immediately.
  • Ambiance: Designate up to 6 unique ambiance messages per room and designate how often they will appear. Create areas that raise hairs on the backs of your neck or soothe you with aromatic spices.
  • Qualities: Every X amount of seconds you designate, players in that room will be hit with whatever effect you desire, along with whatever message you deem appropriate. Make blood pour from their sockets or soothe their mental energies with the gentle tinkling of a magical fountain.
  • Full mob creation MXP support: Create and define every aspect of your NPC's via the 'point and click' MXP system. Everything from their name to their description to how much gold they drop is easily adjustable.
  • Mob Flags: Set your mobs to aggro, team up, loot fallen players, chase cowards, wander around their area or any of a large number of other conditions with the click of a mouse.
  • Mob Events: Set how your mob will react when any number of things happen, all through the use of MXP and the building system.
    • For example you could set an Aspalarian woman to: "Have a 60% chance upon the entry of a player, if that player is loyal to Aspalaria, does not already have her quest and if her quest is available to call him over and beg him to listen to her story." All with 4 clicks of the mouse and of course, typing out the dialogue.
  • Mob AI's: Every mob in Lithmeria is vulnerable to virtually every single player attack in the game... so they need to be able to fight back. Set up how your mobs attacks will look, what they'll do and under what conditions you want them to use them. You can even set how undisciplined you want your NPC to be, stating the percentage chance he'll disregard your careful instructions and just throw out the first attack he can think of... the knave.
  • Full item creation MXP support: Create and define every aspect of your item using the MXP 'point and click' system. Set how it looks, how it can be referred to by players, how many items it can hold if it's a container.
  • Item Integers, Strings and Booleans: The builder includes copious amounts of space for your to record data within your items, data that can later be accessed by quests or mobiles you've created.
  • Full quest creation MXP support: Make the quests you've always wanted without a coder looking over your shoulder. All but the most complex quests are just a few clicks away with the MXP and Lithmeria builder. If you do want something super special, go ahead and bother a coder... it's what they're for! :O
  • A unique game world: Lithmeria's Lore is new, revolving around a world spanning conflict between two powerful factions. The limits are few and the points of reference are vast... come build the adventure you've always wanted to.
While I've (hopefully) got your attention, if anyone thinks of any other 'dream' features they've always wanted in a MUD building toolkit, please do post and let us know!

- Elvarlyn
Old 11-18-2009, 02:08 AM   #3
Elvarlyn

Hi everyone!

To show off just how easy and fun Lithmeria's building system really is, I'll be posting a number of Youtube videos, each focusing on a different aspect of the building interface.

The first episode covers room building.

Lithmeria Building Demo - (Part 1: Rooms)

As always we encourage all feedback, comments and suggestions (even if they're only making fun of my goofy Australian accent) at our forums (link in signature) and invite anyone who wants to find out more about the Lore and mechanics behind Lithmeria to browse through the Compendium.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:52 AM   #4
tommi

tommi is on a distinguished road

I watched your demonstration video, you did a great job at showing off a lot of the features of your olc with regards to rooms, tools like this would certainly help a new builder come to terms with the basic concepts of building, i wish someone had thought of doing this when i first started out, it would have made my progress much speedier. Good job over all, +100%.

Oh and is that an Aussie accent i can here.
tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:57 AM   #5
Elvarlyn

Link to video: Lithmeria Building Demo - (Part 1: Rooms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommi View Post
I watched your demonstration video, you did a great job at showing off a lot of the features of your olc with regards to rooms, tools like this would certainly help a new builder come to terms with the basic concepts of building, i wish someone had thought of doing this when i first started out, it would have made my progress much speedier. Good job over all, +100%.
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

I know for me, starting out it was a huge help. I got made a builder, got a 15 minute tutorial and within the hour, I'd placed down all the rooms for hunting area and begun work on describing them. I'm an especially big fan of the ambiance system and was one of those freaks that sat there writing 3-4 unique ambiance messages for every single room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommi View Post
Oh and is that an Aussie accent i can here.
Yes... mate!

Last edited by Elvarlyn : 11-18-2009 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
Elvarlyn

Links to videos:
Lithmeria Building Demo - (Part 1: Rooms)
Lithmeria Building Demo - (Part 2a: Mobiles)
Lithmeria Building Demo - (Part 2b: Mobile AI's)

Another video has now been posted on YouTube! This one (in two parts) covers the basics of creating mobiles and giving them cool AI's that teach them how to beat up unwary players! Hope they are entertaining as well as informative!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:34 AM   #7
Elvarlyn

Hi all!

Work on building is coming along at a bristling pace, with entire areas being fully described every couple of days. This means that there are entire zones awaiting mobiles (creatures) of every kind of fill them! In order to meet this demand, we'd like to open recruitment to builders who want to help populate the world of Lithmeria with beasts of their own creation.

Who might this be right for?
- If you're someone who is interested in building but put off by the notion of describing hundreds of often near identical rooms, this is for you!
- If you're interested in building but would prefer to flesh out the concepts of others than come up with entire new zones, this is for you!

What's actually involved, bub?
You would choose one of the many fully described areas and read its lore file. Then, after a wander about to get a feel for the zone and the kind of rooms it has, you could just straight into building creatures for it.

I bet building monsters is really hard and requires lots of coding background, right?
In most other MUDs, sure! In Lithmeria, not even a little. These narrated videos explain why building monsters is as easy as pointing and clicking:
- Part 1
- Part 2

Do I have to have extensive building experience?
Though experienced builders are always welcome, we do not require that you have prior building experience to build for Lithmeria. Our building software is simple and accessible enough that anyone can do it. We do require that your English be of a reasonable standard and that you're dedicated and hard working when you can spare the time to be!

You never mentioned how to apply, doofus!
True.

To try your hand with us, send "Cally" a private message on our forums with a sample monster or three. They can be anything you like as long as you include:

- Room Description
- Long Description
- Dead Description
- Long Dead Description
- Enter Message
- Exit Message

A very simple sample macaw is presented below (caw!):
Room Desc: A crimson macaw is perched here, larger than life.
Long Desc: Feathers a violent shade of crimson, this giant macaw stands out against the canopy. A hooked grey beak looks big enough to slice a limb clean off, whilst oddly dainty claws secure the bird to the canopy. The bright plumage is entirely red, except for a small patch of green on the tips of the wings. The bird is plump and healthy, not a feather out of place.
Dead Desc: A ball of bloody feathers, a $h giant macaw lays here.
Long Dead Desc: Feathers torn and plumage plundered, this once majestic macaw has been cruelly cut down by a foul assailant. Blood oozes from numerous wounds, already congealing.
Enter Msg: Flapping vigorously, a crimson macaw enters from the $d.
Exit Msg: Squawking incoherently, a massive macaw flaps to the $d.