Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
locke
Banned

Home MUD: nimud.divineright.org 5333
locke is an unknown quantity at this point
Compliance reminder if you use "The Isles OLC" or "ILAB/OLC", "ROMolc" and others

Dear MUD Administrator:

KaViR and others have slowly erased from all online code repositories of MUD software the names and historical MUD server code that is associated with the original "The Isles 1.1 OLC" known also under other names. They have created "FUD" around this code-base and The Isles NiMUD for their own personal reasons, and have revised history in their own favor and not to be historically accurate. This degrading performance was brought to you by Richard Woolcock.

Files originated from:

(See: for evidence that NiMUD was once hosted, although not all versions that were on ftp.game.org were hosted here since only 2 files are seen inside the NiMUD directory.)

While code released by Jason Dinkel was in the public domain, the OLC was freely distributed under a license and that license has been ignored by subsequent revisionists who have released updates or unofficial ports of this code. The original license was in the Isles 1.1 code base which was distributed along with The Isles license. That code base is now only located in the ftp.game.org one-shot download and is not hosted on any of the other code repositories of which there are only 2.

If your MUD contains: EnvyOLC, "ROMolc", "IvanOLC", "Sam's OLC" and several other MUD OLCs which utilize a modal editor "MEDIT" "OEDIT" "REDIT" and include a "RESETS" command, or use area files with keywords like "#AREADATA" and "#ROOMDATA", then your MUD is using an OLC which is based on The Isles OLC, and is part of the NiMUD source code package. It is owned by its surviving author, myself, and to preserve its open source integrity, we request that you comply by placing the following notices into your software:

In the title sequence, during login, near the Diku authors, pick one of the two following taglines:

1)
Contains code from NiMUD by Herb "Locke" Gilliland and Chris "Surreality" Woodward

or

2)
Based on NiMUD by Locke and Surreal

In the help files, there should be a help document viewable by anyone (by typing 'help credits') that is called "NIMUD" and contains the following credits notice:

------------

This software contains code that originated in NiMUD as The Isles OLC by Herb Gilliland and
Chris Woodward. The "online creation" system was first released in 1993 for Merc/Diku muds.
Parts are copyrighted (c) 1993-2009 H. Elwood Gilliland and Chris Woodward (deceased).
Originally ported to "pure" Merc by Jason Dinkel and later adapted for use with ROM as ROMolc.

NiMUD and its latest version of OLC can be found at: SourceForge.net: NIMUD (Multi-User Gaming Engine): NIMUD (Multi-User Gaming Engine)

If you or the administrators of this MUD paid for a copy of this software or one of its derived works,
you have been defrauded and should contact the appropriate authorities immediately to try to get
your money back.

The authors of OLC would like to thank:

Kalgen of Zebesta - world interaction, area detail, combat
Kahn, Hatchet and Kith of Envy Mud - user-friendliness, portability
Morgenes of Aldara - innovative, intelligent ideas, code:P
Alander of Rivers of Mud - good debugging!
Surreality - the late great chris cool

We also salute all those who have come before us, namely those who wrote the
innovative mud softwares of Silly, Diku, Copper, Circle, Merc and Aber.

--------------

Also, Jason Dinkel added the following requirement to the OLC itself, which your mud may or may not be in compliance with. A command "version" must exist in the OLC and display the following messages:

/*
* The version info. Please use this info when reporting bugs.
* It is displayed in the game by typing 'version' while editing.
* Do not remove these from the code - by request of Jason Dinkel

*/

#define VERSION "ILAB Online Creation [Beta 1.3]"

#define AUTHOR " By Jason(jdinkel@mines.colorado.edu)\n\r" \

" Modified for use with ROM 2.3\n\r" \
" By Hans Birkeland (hansbi@ifi.uio.no)"

#define DATE " (Apr. 7, 1995 - ROM mod, Apr 16, 1995)"

#define CREDITS " Original by Chris 'Surreality' Woodward (cxw197@psu.edu) and Herb 'Locke' Gilliland (locke@lm.com)"

#define ADDONS " Mudprogram's (Mobprogram, Objprogram and Roomprogram) originally\n\r" \

" by the SMAUG development team\n\r" \
" Ported to EmberMUD by Thanatos and Tyrluk of ToED\n\r" \
" (Temple of Eternal Death)\n\r" \

" Tyrluk - or \n\r" \
" Thanatos - or \n\r" \

" Heavily modified by Zane (zane@supernova.org) "

Last edited by locke : 07-26-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Compliance reminder if you use "The Isles OLC" or "ILAB/OLC", "ROMolc" and others

You are lying about me, please don't. I own no online code repositories, and have no authority to remove anything from any online code repositories. Other people removed your code, because you repeatedly refused to respect the licences of other developers, stripping out copyright notices and trying to pass off other peoples work as your own. You continue to ignore the Diku licence even today - although I notice you're not shy about demanding other people follow your licence, even when they're not actually using your code.

The only changes I've made to any wiki entries concerning NiMUD was to remove false claims you've made about my muds, where you tried to claim credit for my work. It was your own historical revision attempts that led to you being banned from Wikipedia, you've nobody to blame for that but yourself.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
locke
Banned

Re: Compliance reminder if you use "The Isles OLC" or "ILAB/OLC", "ROMolc" and others

No, I'm not lying. Your nonsensical vigilanteism has been spreading around this community of hobbyists ruining otherwise good repositories by demonizing what is essentially a free game.

I have never claimed your work to be my own, KaViR. But I do know that my OLC found its way into an earlier copy of Godwars, without the proper credit. Please comply.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515

You're the one making unsubstantiated claims. There's no proof that you created any OLC. There is proof that you tried to claim credit for other people's work though.

Seriously, dude, go to a psychiatrist. I don't know how you got this way (unloved by your parents or overcompensating for a small penis?) but you're not well and your narcissistic tendencies are going to keep you frustrated throughout your life if you don't seek help.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
locke
Banned

On the contrary, there is plenty of proof of that and you can trace it all the way back to my original email account, ... the lm meant "Luce McQuillan" and he was the owner of "Telerama", one of Pittsburgh's first ISPs. That is the email that is in ROMolc which is based on Jason Dinkel's port of The Isles OLC ported by him in 1994 as ILAB/OLC.

Telerama was also once home to Chris "Surreal" Woodward who ran a local BBS called Infinity BBS. His name appears in the credits for Renegade BBS Software and The Isles OLC which were the only two software packages he ever had a hand in releasing.

Below, a posting August 19, 1994 that includes my real name, my email at the time which was (that appears in the Jason Dinkel port of The Isles OLC), and Surreal's email address which is also at telerama.lm.com

FCASD stands for "Fox Chapel Area School District" and was the VAX/VMS supercomputer we had at my highschool back in the 90s. One.Fcasd.Edu was a NeXT box that ran the first copies of The Isles.

Someone mentioning ROMolc as based on The Isles OLC:

October 28, 1994

August 11, 1994

July 29, 1994

Last edited by locke : 07-26-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

That statement is fine.

This statement is not.

Personal flame attacks are uncalled for on a discussion about legality in code usage.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
locke
Banned

Except that it's a boldfaced lie and Jason Lambert has already been through this and why I can safely lay claim to the fact that I wrote OLC before on this very forum.

Exactly. I agree. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough

You claimed I copied your wilderness system, and claimed that God Wars and God Wars II both used your OLC.

GodWars Deluxe contains an OLC snippet of unknown origin. You claim to have created it - but then you also claimed that DG Scripts were based on your work, even after it was proven that they predated your code by years. You also claimed credit for other OLCs (such as SMAUG) which were clearly developed independently. Then there's the other things you claim - that Final Fantasy and Fallout 3 both based characters on you, that you invented YouTube, and that you have a patent pending for cancer detection software.

Combine that with your and I honestly have no idea what you really did or didn't create. However I no longer distribute the codebase in question, so asking me to add a retroactive licence at this time is rather moot. I suggest you take it up with the code repositories - they control the distribution, not me.
Closed Thread