Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #81
Darren Brimhall
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 241
Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Action and RP don't have to be mutually exclusive. If a game has mechanics that offer fast and furious combat as well as a carefully crafted narrative, you can easily have both. My theory is that the healthy way of promoting any behavior in a game is to make it fun. Instead of implementing rules that force people to role-play, make role-playing fun. I've seen it done, and done well in a game where intrigue and assassination went hand in hand. This is why I'm so adamant about role-play being an active, participatory activity instead of a table-side chat.


Agreed...

Making the Fun too much work, and demanding they adhear to it, would drive Players (even exsperienced Players) away from a place.


Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #82
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: What turns people from RP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
My theory is that the healthy way of promoting any behavior in a game is to make it fun. Instead of implementing rules that force people to role-play, make role-playing fun.
Some muds take that route, and they are classified as "Roleplaying Encouraged", but not everyone likes them - because while the carrot can encourage some people to roleplay, the stick is sometimes necessary to stop certain players from disrupting others from roleplaying.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #83
Will
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 90
Will is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaVir View Post
Some muds take that route, and they are classified as "Roleplaying Encouraged", but not everyone likes them - because while the carrot can encourage some people to roleplay, the stick is sometimes necessary to stop certain players from disrupting others from roleplaying.
Yeah, it's a careful balance.

But there's a big difference between disallowing OOC chitchat in-game and forcing players to meet an arbitrary role-playing standard.

Last edited by Will : 01-12-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #84
Jazuela
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 843
Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: What turns people from RP?

It's not an arbitrary roleplaying standard. It's the very precise roleplaying standard that the administrators of that particular mud has determined is appopriate for their mud.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #85
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: What turns people from RP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Yeah, it's a careful balance.

But there's a big difference between disallowing OOC chitchat in-game and forcing players to meet an arbitrary role-playing standard.
You can't prevent OOC chitchat, the only question is whether you offer OOC channels within the mud itself, or if the players have to use an external application such as IRC or Skype.

But regardless of which option you go with, "implementing rules that force people to role-play" is the only way to prevent certain players from disrupting the roleplaying of others. These rules can be hardcoded, policed, or some combination of the two, but if you don't have any then the mud is "Roleplaying Encouraged", and will appeal to a different audience.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #86
Darren Brimhall
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 241
Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

In Marrach, it was the Player's option weither or not they wanted to recieve a 'Page' from another player--this was out form of OOC Chat when the players wern't together in the same area.

In Ironclaw, the best possible is @message--which is only good when the players are in the same area.

In both, OOC chat is allowed--but only if Players are in the same area.

These are what I'm exsperienced with.


Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #87
Delerak
Senior Member
 
Delerak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Name: Dan
Location: New York
Posts: 706
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Re: What turns people from RP?

I have a simple answer; the same reason Halo is like the highest grossing video game of all time and has the revenue of a small country, and I'm pretty sure you don't roleplay on Halo.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:27 AM   #88
Parhelion
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Name: Sarah
Location: Tempe, AZ
Home MUD: Ethos
Posts: 71
Parhelion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Parhelion
Re: What turns people from RP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerak View Post
I have a simple answer; the same reason Halo is like the highest grossing video game of all time and has the revenue of a small country, and I'm pretty sure you don't roleplay on Halo.
Hey, look everyone, a smart-ass response that makes little to no sense.

Using your logic, I can counter that World of Warcraft is an even larger franchise, with an even closer gameplay model, and people DO roleplay on WoW (there are countless groups devoted to it, in fact).


Nothing specifically "turns people from RP." Rather, each person has their own individual style. Luckily, there are a thousand different MUDs out there and they all cater to a different type of audience. Sometimes, we want to play games that don't cater to our particular play-style, and we get angry about that. Then, we get even angrier and go home all butt-hurt when we get rejected for doing things "our way", which, obviously, is the better way. In the end, the best thing you can do for your own sanity and (assuming you actually care about your community) everyone else's is to LEAVE the game and go find something that fits your style.

There is nothing wrong with a non-RPing PvP game. There is nothing wrong with a casual roleplaying game where you are invited to just kick back and have fun and be yourself. There is also nothing wrong with a "hard-core" environment where you are expected to make a serious effort into following certain game-setting rules. Those game-setting rules are there so that the people who LIKE those types of games can play them without someone who wants to play a casual game coming along and ruining their experience.

My problem is, and will always remain, with games that try to cater to more than one style -- specifically, targeting the 'hardcore' audience for more players while not providing the right environment, or assuming that PvPers and RPers are going to get along (cuz they won't -- one group likes to antagonize the other).
Parhelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #89
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: What turns people from RP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhelion View Post
My problem is, and will always remain, with games that try to cater to more than one style -- specifically, targeting the 'hardcore' audience for more players while not providing the right environment, or assuming that PvPers and RPers are going to get along (cuz they won't -- one group likes to antagonize the other).
Well you could (rightly) argue that all muds have to provide the right environment for their target audience, regardless of how broad or narrow that audience might be - in fact I'd argue that knowing your audience is one of the most important aspects of mud design. Catering to more than one style of player may require extra care, but that doesn't mean it can't be done; personally I'd be interested to see a HnS/PK/RPI mud.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #90
Darren Brimhall
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 241
Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaVir View Post
Well you could (rightly) argue that all muds have to provide the right environment for their target audience, regardless of how broad or narrow that audience might be - in fact I'd argue that knowing your audience is one of the most important aspects of mud design. Catering to more than one style of player may require extra care, but that doesn't mean it can't be done; personally I'd be interested to see a HnS/PK/RPI mud.

A MUD that combines different playstyles that's dependent on the Player...

Sounds interesting.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #91
Will
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 90
Will is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaVir View Post
Well you could (rightly) argue that all muds have to provide the right environment for their target audience, regardless of how broad or narrow that audience might be - in fact I'd argue that knowing your audience is one of the most important aspects of mud design. Catering to more than one style of player may require extra care, but that doesn't mean it can't be done; personally I'd be interested to see a HnS/PK/RPI mud.
I guess the thing that worries me about a game like this is that it divides the players into very seperate populations. One of the biggest issues faced by text games today is the ability to grow, and it takes a crowd to bring in new blood. In my opinion, the design described on the linked page would isolate two-thirds of the players from each other and essentially create three separate games. I don't believe it's ever a good idea to implement built-in barriers to interactivity and communication. The pool of people interested in text gaming just isn't big enough, no matter how good a game design is.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #92
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: What turns people from RP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
I guess the thing that worries me about a game like this is that it divides the players into very seperate populations.
Only if you assume that the players would normally all be playing together. The point of the Ice Age design is to target three separate audiences that wouldn't normally play the same game at all. In other words, you're not splitting the playerbase into three, but rather you're combining the playerbases of three very different games and allowing them to interact with each other in a controlled way that promotes, rather than disrupts, each other's gameplay.

However if you have strong feelings about OOC social interaction, there's no reason why you couldn't offer channels where the players of all three factions can communicate OOC using their account names. This would allow the players to chat and offer advice while keeping IC and OOC separate.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #93
Delerak
Senior Member
 
Delerak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Name: Dan
Location: New York
Posts: 706
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Re: What turns people from RP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhelion View Post
Hey, look everyone, a smart-ass response that makes little to no sense.

Using your logic, I can counter that World of Warcraft is an even larger franchise, with an even closer gameplay model, and people DO roleplay on WoW (there are countless groups devoted to it, in fact).
Uh I disagree that you can roleplay properly on WoW. Roleplay is also subjective. What you consider roleplaying might not be what I consider to be roleplaying. Just like in real life you have actors that think they can act but really can't.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #94
Will
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 90
Will is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaVir View Post
Only if you assume that the players would normally all be playing together. The point of the Ice Age design is to target three separate audiences that wouldn't normally play the same game at all. In other words, you're not splitting the playerbase into three, but rather you're combining the playerbases of three very different games and allowing them to interact with each other in a controlled way that promotes, rather than disrupts, each other's gameplay.
I hadn't thought of it that way. It's a very cool idea.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #95
Darren Brimhall
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 241
Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

There was something very simular to what KaVir proposed at Marrach.

It was called 'The Conclave', a very destitute location deep with in Mount Ardan (atop of which the Castle was loocated) where the Castle Disidents (and other undesireables) were sent to. Innitially, those players had their own little world which to play in. But most of those sent there soon returned to the Castle, their players citing lack of RP opertunity with the other characters down there--citing RL issues and those players running 'Alt Characters' up in the Castle, because there was nothing going on in the Conclave plotwise.

These were a highly competant bunch who very likely could have gone on to being StoryGuides and StoryHosts there. But for want of a Coder, who only had to check in on them from time to time to create nessicarry RP objects to make thier plots go, the ideal fizzed.

Eventually most Players either had their characters return to the Castle, and were imprisioned, or the players themselves simply left the Game. Some with imprisoned characters left as well, as they grew tired of waiting for the wheels of justice to start turning. That partictular problem has dogged that Game, along with a host of others.

And when such problems are added up, it comes as no surprise that the place is currently a mess.

Its sad really, very sad.


Darren Brimhall

Last edited by Darren Brimhall : 01-19-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Didn't go far enough with my reasonings in the Post
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #96
RP Kris
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
RP Kris is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

Nothing turns me away from RP in general. I absolutely refuse to play a MUD that isn't truly RP enforced. When I just wanted to play a game for mechanics or combat I will play a console game. If I just wanted that in a multi-player environment I would play an MMORPG. I play MUDs to be a immersed into a story and maybe even play a small part in it.

I've never seen anything close to good RP on a MMORPG. If you think it is out there point me/us to the game, server, and clan. I'd love to take a look. (PM me if you feel more comfortable.)

That being said, I really hate the style of RP on some MU*s. Paragraph long, self centered emotes don't equate to good RP in my opinion. Some of the people complaining about "RP" on this thread are talking about this very style. There are MUDs out there with faster paced RP and I greatly prefer them.
RP Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #97
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: What turns people from RP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP Kris View Post
Nothing turns me away from RP in general. I absolutely refuse to play a MUD that isn't truly RP enforced. When I just wanted to play a game for mechanics or combat I will play a console game. If I just wanted that in a multi-player environment I would play an MMORPG. I play MUDs to be a immersed into a story and maybe even play a small part in it.
Ah, see, I'm the opposite. When I want to roleplay, I play a tabletop roleplaying game (I've done live action in the past as well, but that requires a lot more effort and organisation). I guess if I moved to another town and couldn't find a new local group, I might be tempted to play online with a small group of real-life friends, but only as a last resort - and only as a means of communicating, using a private talker rather than a mud.

On the other hand I play muds because I want an online game where I can interact with other players, with mechanics and competitive gameplay, challenges and goals, combat and puzzles.

MMORPGs are muds as well, and I don't really view them any differently from a roleplaying perspective - in my opinion the quality of roleplaying depends on the participants rather than the medium.

But to get back to the original question, which I realise I never really answered: The thing that turns me away from roleplaying on muds is the people and the medium. I like roleplaying with real-life friends, and I like to interact with them in person. Sitting alone in front of a computer and emoting with anonymous strangers really doesn't do it for me.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #98
dentin
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Home MUD: Alter Aeon
Posts: 245
dentin is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

I know better than to respond to this, but:

I dislike online RP because the rules are arbitrary, inconsistent, and subject to interpretation to a much greater extent than I prefer. I enjoy figuring out complex but well defined systems and seeing what I can do within the bounds of those systems; RP in general is pretty much undefined and free form.

When I want RP, Ill head back to real life, where I can find any number of fully immersive RP scenarios that actually have strong rulesets.

There's a phrase I've heard frequently when reading about developing countries: A government with consistently enforced bad laws is better than a government with inconsistently enforced good laws. That seems appropriate here. I dig consistency.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD - An Online RPG
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #99
RP Kris
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
RP Kris is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaVir View Post
Ah, see, I'm the opposite. When I want to roleplay, I play a tabletop roleplaying game (I've done live action in the past as well, but that requires a lot more effort and organisation). I guess if I moved to another town and couldn't find a new local group, I might be tempted to play online with a small group of real-life friends, but only as a last resort - and only as a means of communicating, using a private talker rather than a mud.

On the other hand I play muds because I want an online game where I can interact with other players, with mechanics and competitive gameplay, challenges and goals, combat and puzzles.
Our difference in preference is ironic considering our mutual love for tabletop RP. Back in college when I couldn't find a good consistent D&D group with the same gaming preferences, I started playing Muds and became hooked. Don't get me wrong. I still tabletop game and enjoy it, but it can't compare to the consistency of a 24/7 Mud.

Thinking about my present tabletop group now, we are supposed to get together weekly and it seems to happen only every two weeks if we are lucky. We also are playing Dresden Files which is alright, but I prefer D&D. I still tabletop because I like my friends, but mudding has been more consistent for me for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaVir View Post
MMORPGs are muds as well, and I don't really view them any differently from a roleplaying perspective - in my opinion the quality of roleplaying depends on the participants rather than the medium.
I do agree that the quality of roleplay depends upon the participants. Along with that though, I've found the key to even a decent RP environment is enforcement by the administration and player base. That is one thing I've found laking on every MMORPG. If your model is to get as many players as you can, RP enforcement isn't going to be at the top of the list. You would have to have a fairly large group of dedicated RP'rs that primarily interacted together to create an immersive RP environment. I know it is possible, but I've yet to find it on any MMORPG.
RP Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #100
RP Kris
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
RP Kris is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentin View Post
I know better than to respond to this, but:

I dislike online RP because the rules are arbitrary, inconsistent, and subject to interpretation to a much greater extent than I prefer. I enjoy figuring out complex but well defined systems and seeing what I can do within the bounds of those systems; RP in general is pretty much undefined and free form.
Are you talking about MU*s without any solid coding or mechanics in place? If I am interpreting what you say right, you don't like games where the outcome of the game or combat is based solely on RP vs. solid code? I'm not a fan of those games either.

RP and challenging defined gaming systems aren't mutually exclusive, thank goodness. There are games out there with both! It is a matter of finding the right game.
RP Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014