Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 03-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
reyv6925

reyv6925 is on a distinguished road
Anyone remember Legend of the Lakes/Lakes of Darkness?

Ok, so I used to play a mud wayyyyy back in the day and i'm curious if anyone remembers it or knows if it is reincarnated in some form or another. It was called Legend of the lakes originally and I believe was transferred ownership then shut down/reopened as Lakes of Darkness. The Imps name was Aquila if i'm not mistaken and one of the IMMs I remember as Dogam whom I believe started another mud of some sort. Either way, I really enjoyed my time there and i'm hoping someone remembers this place and can direct me back to it or to someone who may have the coding or to somewhere that may be similar to it... hopefully very similar because it was epic based on my memory. Thank you in advance.
reyv6925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
tkforeverer

tkforeverer is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone remember Legend of the Lakes/Lakes of Darkness?

This MUD was pretty much the best time I've had in a community. So many hours enjoyed playing, building, and just general shenanigans.

I used to play on there as tkforever and larken and later imm'd as Elessar.

The mud went threw several iterations... I thought it was Lakes of Darkness -> Legend of the Lakes but I might be wrong there.

Lakes of Darkness (level cap 200) -> Legend of the Lakes (level cap 1000 + signficant skill and class changes + if what I remember admin Dracar was ****ed and either blew away player accounts or codebase to some extent and maybe there were backups or maybe there weren't, I'm not sure but it drastically reduced the user base.) -> Castle of Chaos (after Aquila was tired of dealing with the drama Timer and Dogam ran this server).

I'm still in touch with a lot of the players and several imms. Amazing that 15 years later I'm still in touch with these people.

I have several versions of the code. I gave a copy of the first version to user Shockwave awhile ago (several years) and I know he has a mud up, though I don't know if it is in anyway based on this code base or not. I've linked him this thread and maybe he'll chime in.

I'll also link this thread to the other people I'm till in touch with and see if they have the scoop on any versions running for you.

PS I tried messaging you on youtube (I think same username cause account authorization here took awhile).
tkforeverer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
romulous

romulous is on a distinguished road

TK had also sent me the code for both LoD and LotL. I have the untouched versions, and a version of LotL that's somewhat tweaked. As I recall also, it went LoD -> LotL, and 200 -> 1000 level cap.

I just fired up the tweaked version and it looks like it still works. All of the old pfiles are there as well, and the passwords are easy to recover.

The tweak is, I changed it so that any time you get xp, you get one level. It makes it so you can fly through levels, but you still need to advance in areas/mobs because they start giving 0 xp.

Playing it now is a pretty surreal blast of nostalgia. Would be fun to get a bunch of people playing simultaneously again, even if it's short lived.

This address should work for now, if I've set it up correctly:

lodlotl.no-ip.biz:2345

Look familiar?

[Exits: north south west up down]
You are in the southern end of the temple hall in the Temple of Midgaard.
The temple has been constructed from giant marble blocks, eternal in
appearance, and most of the walls are covered by ancient wall paintings
picturing Gods, Giants and peasants.
Large steps lead down through the grand temple gate, descending the huge
mound upon which the temple is built and ends on the temple square below.
Equally large steps lead UP through a small door into the ENTRANCE to MUD
SCHOOL. (type 'up' to go to MUD SCHOOL.) A small plaque is on this wall.

(GoldenAura)(WhiteAura)(Flaming)Vandergaard, the Executioner is here, polishing his blades.

-----------------------------

Your poisoned slice ::[[@@@}***)} -*(ROCKS)*- {(***{@@@]]:: a cloudling!
romulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
reyv6925

reyv6925 is on a distinguished road

Damn, can't believe I missed these replies, I remember you tkforever. I was Guise/Lugar/Rydel and a few other names, also had a buddy that played there for a long time I believe Teleri was his name? Anyways, man I wish someone would re-open the mud and get some of the pbase back. That was really my favorite community as well, miss the people too.

PS, whoever happens to catch this you can email me at to contact me.
reyv6925 is offline   Reply With Quote