Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Newbie Help (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Editors (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586)

Earthmother 09-02-2003 12:01 PM

Hello, i'm a complete newbie coder looking for an editor i can use on a Windows ME machine. I want to be able to FTP files to my mud, be able to line things up easily for uncluttered code, and be able to code off line.

I'm hoping there is one that's free and downloadable, but semi-expensive (30 to 50 US dollar) range and downloadable would be fine.

In fact, just some search engine "key word" suggestions would be quite helpful, i can do the legwork myself, if i knew what to ask for.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--Earthmother

Brody 09-02-2003 12:23 PM

Your own post contains the keywords you can try on Google.com:

Windows MUD offline editor

Hephos 09-02-2003 01:38 PM

Nice editor, comes with cvs support too. Although i use it currently for Java programming i believe it can be used with c/c++ aswell.

Emil aka "Hephos"

Ingham 09-02-2003 06:24 PM

Windows ME, heh.

ScourgeX 09-02-2003 07:29 PM

I use "programmer's file editor" simply because it was the first free program I found that let me save files into *NIX format, although if you are willing to pay money I'm sure there is much better.

Pris 09-02-2003 08:25 PM

Textpad from is all you need. Everything else is just unecessarily confusing.

Unless, of course, you like unecessarily confusing.

Pris

Earthmother 09-04-2003 02:00 AM

All helpful suggestions! Thanks for the input, much obliged.

welcor 09-04-2003 06:24 PM

I use Ultraedit (, I believe). It has syntax highlighting (for C, java, html etc.), save to/load from ftp, multiple files open at once, format conversion (*nix <-> DOS <-> Mac), built in hex editor, macros and all the other stuff you may need.

Welcor of TBA.

Xerihae 09-11-2003 10:54 AM

Me too. Simple, easy to use. For FTP access I use SmartFTP. Do a search on that and you'll find it easy enough, free to use for non-commerical users (i.e you and me)

Terloch 09-11-2003 01:21 PM

I use Textpad for editing (and love it, I even bought it), and WS_FTP LE for FTP. You can get WS_FTP from download.com or tucows.com or any other big downloading site. Textpad you get from there's a free download of it, you can keep using it, but will get an occasional pop-up asking you to reigster or keep evaluating...

Jenred 09-11-2003 01:45 PM

I use CrimsonEdit... it handles a number of file types, like ASP, BASIC, C, C++, HTML, PERL, SQL, JAVA, JSP. and on.

It's fairly intuitive to learn, and colored nice to show important tags and what not.

Also free, not free like trial, but free like you download it and never have to be reminded about registration, premium crap, etc.