Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Newbie Help (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Help me find a mud! (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649)

caspin00 08-20-2004 02:54 PM

Brody 08-20-2004 03:06 PM

caspin00 08-20-2004 03:15 PM

No way to move a thread is there?

Brody 08-20-2004 03:56 PM

The forum moderator could do it, sure.

dragon master 08-30-2004 11:18 AM

Shadows of Isildur has all the traits you listed. No classes, skills go up through use, wound based combat system with no numbers, plenty of stuff for non-combatants...

It's heavily RP based, don't know if that's what you're looking for.

Kenelm 08-31-2004 02:26 PM

Armageddon, Shadows of Isildur and Harshlands are the three that come to mind, for me.

They are all RPIs, however, but judging from what you are looking for that doesn't sound like a problem.

dragon master 08-31-2004 04:34 PM

Except that Arm has classes. The other two don't. So Arm fits all the requirements except one. SoI and HL fit all of them. All three are good muds.

Jester 09-06-2004 04:37 AM

Armageddon is great because it has such HUGE crafting possibilities. Anything from tanning/skinning hides, to making baskets, to making poisons, to making swords and armor.

Kenelm 09-06-2004 01:18 PM

dragon master 09-06-2004 09:45 PM

Same with SoI and HL. Most good RPIs have good crafting systems. (Actually those three are the only RPIs I can think of)

dragon master 09-06-2004 09:46 PM

oops, double post

Dubthach 09-07-2004 12:56 AM

Anyone know a mud with interesting crafting and good code that is not perm death? RPI is fine as long as the admins aren't too invasive. The best one I've found so far is Evarayn.

prof1515 09-09-2004 11:01 AM

RPI without permanent death is sort of like saying PK MUD without combat code. The "I" in RPI, and this will doubtlessly be contested by some, tends to signify a small group of MUDs which are designed around role-playing, the code either created or modified to mold around the the game's setting and concept rather than the game's setting and concept being molded around the code. In addition to role-playing being enforced, being permanent death, skill-based, level-less, and class-less (or in Armageddon's case, semi-class-less) pretty much constitute the difference between "role-playing enforced" MUDs and RPI MUDs.

As I said, someone will probably take offense to that definition but it tends to hold true for the MUDs most commonly classified as RPI: Armageddon, Harshlands, Forever's End (and FE2 and FE3), and Shadows of Isildur.

Take care,

Jason

dragon master 09-09-2004 04:41 PM

Not all these are requirements of an RPI, these are more things that will almost always be present if the mud is an RPI.

If roleplay is completely inforced, the world should be like a real world, not just a bunch of people and mobs. If people come back from the dead in a mud, and there is no strong IC reason for it, it can't be an RPI. Level-less is definitely important to an RPI, muds that have characters become more powerful by bashing around mobs or even muds that have characters become more powerful by RPing a lot (keep in mind RP abillity is OOC, so it shouldn't make your current char more powerful) are definitely not RPIs. Skill-based is good as long as the skills are realisticly done. In an RPI, you don't spend "practice points" to improve a skill, you improve it the same way you would in RL, by using it.

Just pointing out that the things you listed being true don't make a mud an RPI. A mud being an RPI will make those things be true.

Realedazed 09-10-2004 10:15 PM

I would suggest my home MUD, Armageddon, but someone has already done so. So, here's another good one to check out. I'm not sure if it is perma-death or not, but the does have a lots of the things you are looking for: crafting, hunting, cooking, and more.

Telnet: 8000

Realedazed 09-10-2004 10:23 PM

Sorry, posted twice. Not really sure how I did it.

kyleiorio 09-10-2004 11:45 PM

Also my wanna check out

They have some of the stuff you are looking for. They are
also consistantly voted in the top 3 best muds.