Thread: Beyond Telnet
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 02:10 AM   #22
Rathik

Rathik is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rathik
What about absolutely no telnet support at all? I think what most of you are assuming is that the MUD's client would be a normal MUD client clone-- just without all of the advanced trigger and scripting abilities. I'm not a coder (yet), but it seems like it would be possible to send the MUD information via another way instead of telnet, making zMud and MUSHclient nearly impossible to use since they are just complicated telnet clients AFAIK.

Either way though, I suppose that there is always a way to get around it. I would think that it's possible a person could run the MUD's client that would take care of the encrypted ID checks while running their own program that could read the parsed data and run triggers or scripts off it.

I can't imagine that there would be many such players hacking a MUD's client just so they can use MUSHclient's features instead. I could write illegal triggers or scripts for the MUD I play, but I can't reverse engineer, decrypt, etc. If there were less players hacking your custom client than breaking your botting rules, then it seems like a worthwhile idea. Of course it's not 100% cheatproof (what is?), but I really think it would reduce it.

I don't think many existing muds could successfully switch to a custom client only and retain a large percentage of their player base, but both new muds and muds that appeal to non-mudders/new players could do it. I know I could get used to playing without MUSHclient if I was playing on clients that looked as nice as . I imagine having more clients like this would help appeal more to beginning mudders (and expand the mudding community! ) , even it was a telnet supported mud.
Rathik is offline   Reply With Quote