View Single Post
Old 05-30-2002, 04:45 PM   #6
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

This is so ironic, because they're probably using a graphical mud client on top of a graphically oriented operating system =).

If you'll read the post directly above yours, you'll see that I suggested that this "act as a supplement", and that it was "purely for fun".

This is easy to solve: Simply pop the user out of config mode when something happens that requires his reaction.

Only a very poorly designed system would be prone to these problems, I've already given one suggestion.  Another is to disable entry into the configuration room much like you disable the movement and quit commands =).

Teelf: I've never heard of MXP, so thanks for the info =).  I just did a little research, and it seems that there's a few clients that support it.  Hopefully I can find a unix client that does =).  I do agree that hyperlinking is certainly a step-up in text-based interfaces.  Without client support, I suspect it can be approximated with context-sensitive areas, though:

The context sensitivty sounds like a great idea.  Perhaps builders could specify which keywords expand to which commands?  This would also tie in perfectly with my original idea of interactive game objects: The context-sensitive ansi switch would expand to the traditional command for toggling color.
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote