View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 03:39 PM   #22
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Being driven slowely nuts over that one Ide, with the client I use. It has no native support for spawned window, though you can now "fake it" by creating a new world window with an IP of 0.0.0.0. But, its an MDI window, so you can't drag it outside the clients main frame. The client supports dozens of possible script engines, but since those are suspended between calls to the scripts by the client when it needs them, such as a trigger or timer firing, its not clear if event managers in ones like Python work and even less clear if they work when you have to use the frame of the client as the host window (using NULL to make it a primary, which you would do coding entirely in Python crashes the client real fast... lol) Its default script system is now Lua, so even running it in WINE under Linux isn't a problem, since ActiveX isn't needed to use scripting, but Lua doesn't have any built in GUI functions itself and tacking on wxLua would bloat the client from 1.8MB to nearly 7MB.

Trying to figure out how, and more to the point, even if, some serious change needs to be made to the client to support even basic frames, buttons, images, etc., given that the application is in MFC, the developer isn't interested in completely rewriting it and MFC kind of hampers the ability to handle events from objects created "after" the main program is already running. I.e., you can build them into it, but not make new ones as needed so easilly. I keep going around and around in circles trying to find some solution both he and I like and which is either easy for him to add, or easy for me to code as an optional addon.

But, in my experience.. The bigest problem is failure to impliment stuff on the mud side when its available. Like some of the MXP places I looked at that use hyperlinks everyplace (ugly...), but don't use images at all, color codes when they might be useful (just the lame standard ANSI) and don't support sound. And then there is implimentations problems where Zugg can't agree what the actual implimentation *should be* in the client, so you can ignore the specs and feed < and > through in zMud without it caring (breaking spec), but someone else, like Mushclient eats the text in between because its an *invalid tag*, which is spec. What should be a simple matter of adding a bit of extra code to handle sending certain types of codes ends up being an argument over whose actually supporting the protocol correctly, because no one actually seems to know how its supposed to work in the first place.

It would be nice if clients all supported all the basic features and gadgets, and the look and feel, plus some extras, mattered. Instead, most of them are still not much improved over Telemate, which I used to use to connect to BBS games and had triggers, timers, scripting, music based on the QBasic languages music playing functions, etc. Even some that took the text from some games and replaced them with limited animated graphics. Some modern ones just have spawnable windows... Oh wow! Real impressed. lol
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote