View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #31
BrettH

BrettH is on a distinguished road
I didn't say elements used in MMORPGs shouldn't be in text games - merely that text games should not try to base their primary concepts upon the concepts that MMORPGs dominate.

The ideal, lasting text based game in my opinion would be primarily focused upon detailed character interaction, world changing effects, and powerful storytelling tools; however, it would be quite possible to go on hunting or raiding expeditions, or to play a combative character if that were one's preference.

It just wouldn't be a game BASED on the core concept of combat/repeat quest advancement, where most of the systems and coding effort were expended in trying to out-hunt the MMORPGs.

A flexible text-based world that allowed dynamic storybuilding tools requires reasonably good combat and expedition mechanics, because those things will come up from time to time. However, it should not be the primary point of the existence of the mud, or the characters within it.

I have many friends who are diehard MUDers, and have been for many years, who are now turning to WoW whenever they have a hunting urge and only go to their MUDs when they want to develop storyline. I know of no one currently that goes to a MUD when they get an urge to 'hunt', unless they are simply relying upon old habit. It's one thing to have an expedition that is tied into an event (which they will instantly drop WoW to go do) and other to go hunt for hunting's sake and watch the text scrolling by.

I imagine this trend is only going to continue. We can say "But look, such and such a game is still doing fine" but I think we all know they are primarily existing upon old momentum, and the challenge lies before us in creating a new generation of MUD players that will come despite the lure of fantastic, massive, graphical games.

---Brett
BrettH is offline   Reply With Quote