View Single Post
Old 09-23-2002, 12:38 PM   #69
Yuki

Yuki is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yuki
Arrow

You know, I don't play DR, Achaeaea, or Gemstone, so... uhh... yah... anyways...

This is the natural order of things. When TMS was first around, my mud was generally in the top 10 regularly. Why? Our players showed support for us, simply because they were loyal. As larger muds showed up, it becomes harder and harder to maintain such positions, which reflects things rightly.

My beef would be the misrepresentation portion. Why? I had an advertizement post here quoting Bill Gates and some other Microsoft execs on how they had to beef up the specs of the X-Box to compete with my mud's server, since the X-Box and all it's super graphics capabilities just couldn't spit out text as well. I had some fun, full of misrepresentations, and the thread got yanked :P I didn't mind, I knew I was lying.

So, if say in a forum, or even a review, I state that my mud is the best mud ever, God himself handed me the codebase, and all the chinese are stomping on the earth to put it of orbit unless I give them access to my code, not to mention that in a world-wide poll, my mud was voted as the real key to world peace... uhh... then I went about making claims to such things and purporting them as factual information... doesn't it seem a bit silly and dumb?

I surely do.

The xp-voting thing: other people bribe people to vote. Some don't. If Synozeer says it's okay, then it's okay. I haven't seen a post from him saying not to. Sure, it skews the votes since DR and Gemstone are technically larger, but apparently Acheaea has this need, desire, to be number 1 along with some shady claims. Maybe not, just my take on it.

What I really liked was the idea that you take away the actual votes on the page (just from the viewers, maybe the mud administrators could view such things against others), and randomly load the top 20, perhaps 4-5 at a time, at the intro page. It gives people incentive to still crack the top 20, without amassing 200,923 votes, and I dunno, seems interesting.

The $$ idea seemed alright, but I highly doubt it'd affect much. Maybe it's time I started a mud forum for muds with 100 players or less *laugh* There's no way I can compete with these games, and that's fine.

I kind of likes the idea of Pay to Play muds having to pay for advertizing here too, but that's not my call. Sounds like a good idea though.