View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: What types of games are impacted the most by permadeath?

Quite right. Using the WoW example was a bit simplistic since WoW isn't designed for permadeath. Most games designed without roleplay enforcement behind the core design don't go the permadeath route. There's really just one sub-set of games that do it consistently, and you have to wonder why that is. Sure, it could be a chicken and egg thing: Do HnS games design without permadeath because players wouldn't keep dying and playing, or is it because it's been tried and players stop playing whenever they die off?

I personally love the grind of a typical HnS game, and I'll level up several characters at once. However, I also do it with the understanding that those characters will always be there. Any progress I've made with the character will always be saved. Again, personal preference.

So, the theory isn't completely accurate since we have very few hack n slash games with permadeath to compare with the RP permadeath games. Still, it seems logical to deduce that permadeath tends to succeed better in a specific type of setting.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote