Thread: WoTmud?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
Vivienne_WoT

Vivienne_WoT is on a distinguished road
Re: WoTmud?

Hi guys! Vivienne from Wheel of Time MUD here, to bring you up to date on what's really happening!

About three months ago we had a denial of service attack, where someone was also trying to access all our user data, passwords, etc. They tried to do it through our separate website, so there was never any compromised game data, by the way. Anyway, when we saw what was happening, we took the entire system offline because it was a complete barrage of nuisance. While we were reviewing the data integrity we saw a couple issues, which considering we've been online for 20 years give or take, were to be expected. Flash and I had a chat and we decided to take everything offline, including making the IP address appear "dead", so we could fix those issues. In the process we decided "What the heck, we're offline, we've wanted to do some upgrades, let's just go to WoTmud V!"

We've purchased two new servers that we have complete physical control over, and they've been configured the way we want them to be. As of yesterday we're doing some back-end testing.

As you can imagine, when Wheel of Time MUD started it was the labor of a bunch of college students. 20 years later, we've all got spouses, mortgages, kids, lives, businesses, etc. I wish we had the ability to dedicate as much time as we could two decades ago, but life gets in the way, and we'd rather put back up something that stands up to time instead of something that we slap together just for the sake of being online.

We have a that you're welcome to check. At last glance we have over 200 players participating there. As I have time I'm also doing twitch episodes and the occasional tweet, but Facebook seems to be the media that our players gravitate towards most.

No worries - we're not dead, we're not gone, and we'll be back online as soon as we're comfortable with the security and game stability!

Less than three,

Vivienne
Vivienne_WoT is offline   Reply With Quote