View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 02:45 AM   #7
Sesslebee

Home MUD: mdhoria.net
Sesslebee is on a distinguished road
Re: At a loss. Want to help?

1. In a game such as this, what kind of areas (zones or rooms) would you, as a player, like to see?

For Dystopia, I'd say you should have your common amenities (clothing shops, pharmacy, food stands in the streets, newspaper stands (if that's canon), some sort of public transportation (if there was once a subway, maybe it's abandoned and infested with indigents/creatures?), living quarters, and government buildings. Maybe a library and/or data center for distributing common knowledge and lore in the game. For the more abstract, you could have tinkerers who are working on experimental technology, blackmarket electricity/technology shops, hospitals (legal and illegal).

For outland areas, you might have shanty towns outside the city proper, which gradually tapers out into unlivable areas. Lots of ruins of long ago cities and structures (depending on where your city is, you could have recognizable ruins of things like nearby observatories, museums, historical sites, etc). Harbors, beaches, national parks left to seed, so on and so forth.

2. What types of antagonists do you think would make the game more interesting?

There should be factions of NPC groups fighting (literally or in a boardroom) over resources. Factions would probably be separated by economic class and power structures. If there's a government type in the city, it could either be benevolent or not-so-benevolent, and key figures in that group might be working to actively harm people in the city.

As for creatures and stuff you'd combat, you could do practically anything with the newly-sentient things you mentioned in your game description. Maybe there's a hive-mind sentient plant species that took over ruins somewhere and is looking to (literally) spread out into Dystopia.

3. Can you think of any non-standard skills or abilities which you think might be fun or interesting to add to such a world?

I wish I could think of something to suggest, but I'm sadly not that creative.

4. Can you think of anything else that you might like to see in such a world?

I think it'd be cool for a lot of the equipment in the game to be tied to body upgrades and implants. Sort of separating from the wear clothing/armor to get stats. Not that there couldn't be body armor and IC-appropriate clothing, but maybe the majorty of your character enhancements could come from technology and genetic engineering that you earn through completing areas and/or quests.
Sesslebee is offline   Reply With Quote