View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Yes, this is what I'm talking about. I'm not asking about the benefits of older MUDs, I'm pointing out a few advertisements lately for MUDs that are advertising for staff/players, claiming to have been in development for long periods of time. Then you look over what they have and realize that their "x-year in design" concept could have taken all of five minutes to develop as fully as have. Yet the claim of "x-years" is up-front and center in their advertisements and even in the titles of their posts.

Admittedly, it should take years to design a MUD. I've designed three (abandoned two of them for rather frustrating reasons) over a period of the last five years. The one I'm working on now was conceived over three years ago but never seriously worked on until this year. When I do advertise for it, it will be 2005 that I list as the starting point. That's the year I really sat down and began formulating geography, history, economics, etc. (some of this was started earlier, but nothing was fleshed out until now).

Some of these MUDs I'm refering to seem to take the earliest date of conception, toss on a half-decade, and claim as long in their advertisements. Reading such claims are good for a laugh, I'll admit, but if these advertisement techniques really work, it's a sad statement on the intelligence of the players that believe it.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote