View Single Post
Old 04-22-2006, 11:17 PM   #144
mann_jess

mann_jess is on a distinguished road
Well, in response to the last post, regardless of who it was... The difference between having a scripting language within the game itself, and saying that if a player wishes to script that he needs to do so with his client is a pretty major one... Some players don't have access to / don't use clients which are capable of scripting. This brings it down to a pretty undesireable result, that being that those players that have the money to purchase a more advanced client (which may potentially be needed for a particular scripting level/ability/tool), may have a significant advantage over the other less-financially capable players. Setting that aside, the more advanced scripting requires a level of knowledge of basic programming (or at least some logical sense in terms of computers). A player's computer-related knowledge should not have an influence on his fantasy character's ability in a game. Scripting within a mud, however, can be well documented and easily adaptable for that particular mud's needs, and thus be user-friendly enough that no player suffers an injustice solely due to his potential incompetancy in certain real-life areas.

Setting this aside, there really isn't such a thing as complex AI. This may very well be deemed a matter of opinion, but I certainly wouldn't see it that way. AI is basically, at this point, and especially in regards to MUDs... a grouping of if statements. But in any case, I really don't know what my point is here anymore, as my post is mostly detached... I don't mean to be argumentative, so I apologize.

-Jess
mann_jess is offline   Reply With Quote