View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #1
Zeno

Home MUD: Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
Zeno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zeno Send a message via MSN to Zeno Send a message via Yahoo to Zeno
Question How do MUDs recruit new players in 2021?

Howdy folks, I have been running my MUD since 2003 and recruiting new players had been a pretty straightforward process with TMS, TMC & MudMagic forums (among others).

However times have changed and online MUD communities are quite different in 2021. Some are gone while some new platforms have arisen. But even with these new platforms, we have struggled to recruit new players throughout the years. The MUD is stable and we have daily veteran players, we simply do not see many new players join. (The second piece of this is player retention, but that piece is simpler for us to understand on how to address it .)

The MUD has been listed on these platforms for many years: TMC, TMS, MUDStats, MUD Portal, MudBytes, MUDListings, WikiMU. I've also made promotional posts on here and /r/MUD on Reddit.

Any thoughts or musings on how MUD owners should be working on recruiting new players in modern times?

It is also worth mentioning some things we already do:

* We have a web client and it is linked from our homepage
* Our introduction area was rebuilt to ensure we educate new players on how to play a MUD for those that have not before
* We have forums and a Discord server to support new players who need further help understanding how to play a MUD
* We have a video tutorial that shows how to create a new character
* The way we introduce the game on our homepage and outside MUD communities is "online text-based game"
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote