View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 02:24 AM   #15
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Re: Crafting: How does it work at your favorite game?

Quite some time ago I set up a system where you can sheer sheep, pick silk cocoons from mulberry trees, and grow cotton and flax in fields. You then spin the fibres to thread and weave it to cloth. And then - wait for it! - you can dye the fabric into several different colours, by blending the three basic colours yellow, red and blue in different combinations.
Each time you dye a cloth the colour changes in a logical way, giving the fabric different properties, but also turning the colour darker. So after you dye the same fabric more than three times, the colour turns black and the magic goes poof.

The scripts for this system all work, and I also made the tools for it, like shearing sheers, spinning wheels and handlooms.

And yet it never got fully implemented.

Why?
Probably because I made the system so complex that I finally drowned in my own details. And somewhere on the road I got distracted and ran out of energy to finish it. So I ended up with a scripted crafting system that works to about 90 percent, but lacks the finish, where you create the actual end product, and balance the stats for it.

And now my coder says that it would be a lot easier to just code the entire system and randomize the effects...
Which probably means that it will never happen, since our coders usually just work with things that they think are fun, and crafting doesn't seem to be among those.

So feel free to "steal" the idea with the repeated dying, but don't fall into the same trap that I did, by making the system so complicated that you end up getting tired of your own creation before it is finished...
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote