View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #47
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Dealing with RP Attention Hogs

The term "pose" is pretty MUSH specific. I don't play MUSHES. Again - again - and again - and really I shouldn't need to explain further, but you're really itching to get me to micromanage the post...

This isn't about only four people roleplaying and 46 others watching. It's about a scene, in which three characters *are* the main characters, and the others are people who are there to participate.

When ONE person who is there to participate, drowns out not only everyone else, but the three main characters, by hogging the scene and detracting from the whole reason that scene exists, then that person is an attention-hog, from an OOC perspective. When that person has their 3-line emotes (not poses - those can go on for 20-line paragraphs) set up and just waiting to copy and paste to buffer to prove how much better of a roleplayer they are...

and they do it in such a way that is SO distracting, that other people might START to type something, but then THAT shows up and they backspace to respond to THAT..and then that OTHER thing shows up so they have to backspace to respond to THAT..

Because the green-eyed chick's player has no interest in seeing anyone else's roleplay, she only wants everyone to notice hers..which - they can't help but do, because she's taking up the whole screen scroll..

then she is an attention hog. And it is an OOC attention hogging going on, not an IC attention hog going on.

When I played Gemstone this kind of thing used to happen all the time. People would wear their silvery spidersilk cloaks with green trim and fur collar, and point at their cloaks, touch their cloaks, smile at their cloaks, and do all kinds of other things involving their cloaks, JUST to make sure that everyone knew they were wearing a silvery spidersilk cloak with green trim and fur collar - and to heck with anyone who wanted to pay attention to the -actual- scene going on.

Used to happen all the time. Granted, that isn't even remotely an RPI, and it's really not much more than a glorified pay-to-play hack-n-slash with RP allowed. But that kind of thing happens on other games, and some places use the OOC methods to stop it before it becomes disruptive. And sometimes the staff has to intervene.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote