View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 09:18 AM   #11
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
It crashed every 10 minutes I was playing while I was the only PC on. Whether that was an isolated hour or not, it was contrary to the claim of stability and quite frustrating. As far as the lottery goes, it doesn't increase the probability that I'd win. After all, the goal of trying your MUD was to see how good it was, not to get booted every 10 minutes....

The mapping feature, while it holds promise, didn't work very well. The game even says that if it doesn't work, you should recommend turning it off. Well, it functioned on less than a quarter of the rooms and when it did function, the majority of the time the map was jumbled and really of little or no use. I'm using MUSHclient so perhaps that's the reason though MUSHclient has never interfered with the mapping systems of the other dozen or so MUDs with them. And obviously, given the message in-game regarding the mapping system, someone's aware it may not run properly.

Instead of advertising the MUD as not needing staff support, I'd recommend a few dedicated staff actually take the time to fix the problems and monitor it closer. Stability and gameplay are affected when there's no one at the helm. With an active staff, when problems pop up, there's no reason to get defensive or to spin why things are not functioning/written as they should be. Instead, you just fix them and move on.

I'm known as a cynic and quite critical of most of the crap out there passing themselves off as acceptable MUDs. I've said it before that most MUDs suck. This one holds promise, and actually looks like it could rise well above the crud out there, but at present it's still in need of some work to finish it off right. So why settle?

Just some friendly advice.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote