View Single Post
Old 11-11-2003, 08:02 PM   #16
Kylotan

Home MUD: Abattoir (Smaug)
Home MUD: ex-Jellybean (Smaug)
Home MUD: ex-Dark Chambers (Merc)
Kylotan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Kylotan Send a message via AIM to Kylotan Send a message via MSN to Kylotan Send a message via Yahoo to Kylotan
Kaylus, your interpretation of the transcript is way too literal and ignores the context. The newbie didn't care about channels, the newbie cared about trying to find hunting partners. That's the 'help' they wanted. The only reason they subsequently asked about channels is because they were obviously told not to look for partners on that channel. Telling the newbies what not to do with the newbie channel may well be necessary, but it's not help that is relevant to their current problem.

Thus, you seem to have missed the entire point of my argument.

Quite what your point about accountability is, I don't know. I prefer people to be visible so that they know that they can't get away with being rude and hiding behind their anonymity. In fact, anonymity is a well-known psychological factor in encouraging anti-social behaviour. The imms on Carrion Fields are probably great, but anonymous figures telling you what you can and can't do tends to come across as unfriendly. You can argue that it is necessary for whatever reason, and I won't argue that point without knowing more about the game in question... but it's still unfriendly from a newbie point of view. Which is what this was about.

As for logs... yes, most muds keep logs, but few will log every channel used by every character. Maybe Carrion Fields is an exception, but that would be a lot of text, given that they're not a small mud.

And the 'distant learning' thing, that does not make me wrong, that just means that there are exceptions. Most learning is not done from distance, for good reason.
Kylotan is offline   Reply With Quote