View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 03:34 AM   #3
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
I considered making just such a MUD but decided upon a later period instead. I've tried to find a good MUD that accurately duplicates the Medieval period, without much success. The closest I've found is Harshlands which, although being a low-fantasy setting, does have a far greater respect for medieval life and conventions than any other MUD I've encountered (that being somewhere between 850-900 MUDs).

There are fantasy races (players can choose from three "races" of humans which are more akin to cultures than anything, elves, or dwarves; several other fantasy creatures are frequently seen but not playable by PCs) in Harshlands but they're not common, and rarely do players play them (in over six years, I've yet to encounter a PC of a race other than the three human variations). Magic is something rarely encountered, mostly whispered about if anything though there are religious "spells" and "incantations" which occassionally are used and may have effect (again, I've never personally encountered it in over six years of playing though I have heard of such things). Some players, like myself, choose to take a very non-fantasy approach to the world, regarding many fantasy elements as fantastical while treating those fantasy elements which are frequently encountered in a more natural manner (ie, orcs from the mountains are treated the same as animals, even though they carry weapons).

It's not purely-devoid of fantasy, but it's probably the closest there is. The problem I've encountered with MUDs is that many of the people who create them have no idea what comprised medieval society, much less an interest in creating a MUD which features such an approach.

If you do find one which does, let me know. I'd be interested in checking it out and seeing just how well it does stack up to the historical model.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote