View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #57
Odd Raven

Home MUD: Arantha
Odd Raven is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Odd Raven
Re: Dealing with RP Attention Hogs

This is a pretty snazzy topic, one that I haven't really been involved in previously. As a staff member on my MUD, I try to (as smoothly as possible) move said spotlight around, thus making it hard to hog. I consider it my job to endeavor to keep any one person from being capable of directing the roleplay in a way that isn't conducive to roleplay and to the players.

That said, I haven't really had to deal with a spotlight hog -as staff- just yet. As a player, I tend to just ... downplay them, I imagine. React--because I believe strong roleplay doesn't simply ignore, unless the roleplay is -so outlandish- it violates the atmosphere (OOC or pointlessly vulgar behavior/talk, forcing other players actions continuously, et cetera). Currently, I seem to enjoy the time to make each player feel valued in roleplay, though it's much, much harder when their trains-of-thought and personalities derail ("Let's kill him." "No, I want to question him!" so on).

I suppose I'll have to let you guys know when the time comes!

[EDIT: Oh, no, I've contributed to the perceived existence of this thread. Sorry! I've only just noticed it.]

Last edited by Odd Raven : 12-26-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Apologizing!
Odd Raven is offline   Reply With Quote