Thread: Why roleplay?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2002, 06:58 PM   #3
Albion

Albion is on a distinguished road
Unbridled, unadulterated escapism. As a kid, I found D&D (the old three pamphlet set - anyone remember these?) Shortly thereafter I found Tolkien, Michael Moorcock, and Fritz Lieber. For all you Wheel of Time fans, the aforementioned authors give you a better read IMHO. I refer to them as the Holy Triumvirate of epic fantasy. Heck, today even the name Elric brings back memories of hours crammed into an arm chair reading endlessly.
The I grew up, went to kollige, joined the Army, got married and had a kid. I still carried around a notebook of disjointed notes and scribbles from the "world" I had created as a kid and added to piece meal over time. Then in '98 I found a MUD. My initial reaction was "hey neat - lemme check this out." Haven't looked back yet.

RPing is also a venue to capture ideas for things I'd like to write some day. Characters, plots, ideas are ripe for the picking in the MUD I play. We have so very creative folks there.

RPing is my outlet to escape back into the days of my youth.

Second only is my hobby with guitars. As I tell my wife, MUDs and guitars beat the heck out of women, cars and booze on the "my husband is milking this mid-life crisis" scale. Now if anyone wants to talk guitars..... LOL

Cheers!

Albion
Albion is offline   Reply With Quote