View Single Post
Old 09-27-2003, 04:12 PM   #16
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Gee.. The_logos, by that standard, why have any color at all, just assume that everyone is a genius at designing triggers and that everyone must be using zMud, Mushclient or some other program that lets you color your own text? Get real. most clients use only ANSI. In my experience there are only two effects this has, 1) some really bad clients start with a white background and 2) on some systems, with really bad displays, Yellow can end up looking Brown. The reality is that 'most' computers differ today only in how 'bright' the image is they produce. Colors tend to be more or less the same.

We are not talking about some stupid web browser that stupidly tries to match to the nearest 'valid' color according to your system. The display may not be 100% identical, but it is probably 98% identical, even in most worse cases. That said, you are probably talking about people changing the colors themselves? Fine, but often the only way to match a line, is if you can tell the client what color it was in the first place. You can tweak all the colors you like in some clients, but that is 'your choice' and if it screws something up in the game design, that is your fault for changing it. And as for MXP colors, as far as I know you can't easilly mess with them the way you can ANSI, so the biggest worry there is if the client can display them at all.

In any case, your own point about Yellow looking Orange on yours.. I have seen that on a Windows client, Imho, that client was not dsigned for games in the first place and you shouldn't use it for that. Same with drastically different colors on different systems. I doubt if you tried to display a full color photo on the same system that the result would e equally wrong, therefor it must be the client's fault and you should find a client that works right.

When you use ANSI, MXP, etc. you are making an assumption that 'most' people will see the right things. If someone is using an OS or client designed by Joe Screwup and won't show the colors right because he thought Puce looked better than Blue and Green was a horrible color no one should use, then you already have a serious problem. Same if you expect things to look right if you are using a horrid VGA monitor from the 1980's that can't display more than 256 colors and shows Yellow as Orange in text modes.

You may as well blame your difficulty seeing something on TV on the broadcaster, because you are using a black and white TV and the intensities of everything on the screen are all nearly identical. First use something that works the way the broadcaster 'intended' it to be seen, then complain about the content and what it looks like.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote