View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #13
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Armegeddon Forum Policy?

Hack and Slash or H&S, like dark acacia said, are about fighting monsters, but the term is sometimes synonomous with games that rely on killing monsters to progress either in levels or skills or other factors. It can sometimes be considered a derogatory term to games that claim to be centered around roleplay. Evenso, H&S has its place in nearly every game I've played and it can be considered a lot of fun. Depends on your taste of gaming.

I have yet to find a game that doesn't have some form of coded emotes like: smile, laugh, giggle, cry, and the like. Most of these games also have emote commands that are open ended like: emote bobby laughs heartily as he falls upon the table and chokes on the small piece of beef in his mouth.

Some games go to the extreme with this allowing for robust and complex parsing as in: emote ! jumps up an points at &bob with a %sword while displaying a %knife toward &joe. If you were bob this would appear as: Karen jumps up and points at you with a sleek bladed long sword while displaying a emerald dagger toward joe. For example.

In NWA we have coded emotes, open ended emotes, pmotes, omotes, tmotes, some of which are parser emotes and some not. Some games like the fuller parcer robust emotes which I am not a fan of.

In the end, you are absolutely right Malifax, the style doesn't matter so much as the player behind it. :-)
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote