Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 09-29-2003, 12:10 PM   #1
Terloch

Terloch is on a distinguished road
Normally I just let reviews go, but I felt the need to post this up here and make comments towards it, anyone else who wants to say anything, by all means, please do.  So "Mudder" at , this is for you...

Now, I guess it's just me, but I don't think that 9 classes is too much variety, especially when they are set up as they are on Feudal, with very little if any overlap, and all explained in character creation as to what they are and do.

Is our character creation long, yes.  Does it explain each selection of race and class, yes.  Does it warn people if they are choosing one of the difficult classes or races, YES.  Are there a couple of races which are difficult even for established players, most definitely, which is why it tells you that right off the bat in character creation.

My guess if you more than likely picked a saurial as your race, and ended up in Kisah, the elven city, which is confusing, but it also prompts you several times when you take this option that it is difficult and not advised for new players.

I have scoured the forums in search of any posts from anyone looking for newbie assistance, and I see nothing on there except for a new login from someone and one post which consists of the following...

Which was responded to by one of my staff with the following..

Now, last time I checked, that's relatively helpful, fairly straight-forward, and from a veteran player.  And I don't even see how Dulan or anyone else who loves to gnaw on those who flame people could find an issue there...

My great apologies to anyone who wants Midgaard as their starting city and New Thalos as a secondary.  My great apologies to those who want warrior, mage, cleric, and thief as the four classes who essentially share all skills and spells.

Personally, I think there should be a way to directly refute a review, and/or have a plyer review system to take shots right back at people who can't seem to read when they create a character and then have problems, even when they are warned.

I'd bet the name chosen by this player didn't meet the naming policies in place and listed in creation either, because you'd actually have to read them to know what they were.

- Terloch
Terloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 04:22 PM   #2
Treestump

Treestump is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Treestump
I have to agree with you. Necromium has gotten some trollish reviews as well.

I wonder sometimes if people are posting their reviews under the wrong MUDs name or something. Maybe there is another MUD out there named Necromium.

But our game has restarted (whether crash or otherwise) 3 times in the last 6 days. We have from 30-80 people online depending on the time of day and we offer 16 total classes. We do only offer 4 classes to choose when starting, but we have an extensive multi-classing system.

Anyways, I dont mind any negative reviews that we rightfully earn, but this trollish nonsense is annoying.
Treestump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 10:25 AM   #3
OnyxFlame

OnyxFlame is on a distinguished road
DM's been getting a lot of crap reviews from newbies lately too. I have to wonder why everyone seems to think some new mud they start playing should be exactly like their old mud, because if they're sick enough of their old mud to try a new one, why would they want another one just like it anyway?
OnyxFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 03:17 PM   #4
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
That kind of juvenile review is why none of our games have reviews turned on.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 03:48 PM   #5
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
The staff of their old mud.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 05:26 PM   #6
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
I've noticed that more often than not, reviews have substance to them, rather than some moron venting steam because he got banned. Even when someone puts up a childish, flaming review most people discard idiots like that anyway.

I think it's kind of stupid to take away everyone's chance to put forth a valid opinion about your mud, even if you don't agree with it.
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 05:44 PM   #7
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
If the reviews were decent say, 90% of the time, I'd turn them on. Most have very little substance, are poorly written, etc. I can't take them seriously.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 11:41 AM   #8
nass

nass is on a distinguished road
nass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 07:25 PM   #9
Ingham

Wow!

People actually pay attention to the reviews?! You people must have allot of free time and allot of cropped up frustrations by now... The reviews are generally more bitter and hate-filled then I am, and that says quite a bit!
Old 10-01-2003, 10:31 PM   #10
Mia

Mia is on a distinguished road
Just a quick note of support for Terloch and the staff of Feudal Realms.

I wouldn't worry too much about that review. In my experience on Feudal Realms, I found quite the opposite. The staff is quite knowledgeable and willing to help if they are around, especially to newbies who ask questions and really show the desire to learn and succeed there.

Hope things are still going well there, without this one time bunny hugging hippie druid playing...keep up the good work.
Mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 03:26 AM   #11
markizs

markizs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to markizs
a bit offtopic about reviews.
when you list reviews for parituclar mud why u dont get review topics or author names, instead of that you get repeating name of mud. isnt that kind of silly? :)

btw maybe you have any idea how to encourage players to write reviews? :)
markizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 11:02 AM   #12
Treestump

Old 10-03-2003, 10:27 AM   #13
nass

nass is on a distinguished road
nass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 10:50 AM   #14
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road
I'm pleased to read newbie reviews. If I come to your (this is an editorial your, I'm not directing this at any specific mud)mud I am, after all, coming as a newbie. If newbies are treated poorly, if your game is hard to transition into I'm glad to know that ahead of time.

I recently read a negative review of a popular rp mud. The review was well written and informed me that the rp enviroment boasted was not as pervasive as advertised. I'm not surprised that the mud was displeased with the review, but I found it useful.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 11:28 AM   #15
Treestump

That is an excellent idea. You get still get trollish reviews with bogus information (like the one I mentioned before) but atleast the valid reviews would have more content to them.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:38 PM   #16
Jaenelle

Jaenelle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Jaenelle
Question

It is nice also to know that existing players like a mud enough to take the time to write out a review... even if it is just propaganda. :) If existing players write reviews, admin can look them over and see what features players liek the most. Also, it should be a nice ego trip... people who run muds so rarely get anything but bitter remarks on things people don't like... rather than compliments on things they do like. People whine about changes and new features that make the mud a better place... or fix a current problem... but players don't always like them because they liked the strange bug that let you instantkill a mob and get exp. *grin* Always nice to have a place where people can make compliments and say good things without getting branded a suck up.

---------------
Jaenelle.
(long time, free mud, with over 300 players online at any time)
Jaenelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Review Response - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Response to Burning Down The House the_logos MUD Announcements 24 03-25-2005 01:10 AM
Response to latest Armageddon Review Jazuela Tavern of the Blue Hand 2 06-13-2004 10:39 PM
Shadows of Isildur: "Review" Response. Traithe Tavern of the Blue Hand 5 12-05-2003 01:35 AM
Review response: TP MUD Pleos Tavern of the Blue Hand 0 10-25-2003 10:47 AM
Review Response Songsworn_Draconita Tavern of the Blue Hand 4 10-23-2003 11:26 PM