Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Legal Issues
Click here to Register

Old 03-23-2006, 10:13 AM   #21
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Well, they were under 14 years old - I'm not sure they'd be making more than sweat-shop wages anywhere in Korea, and they didn't seem to have a choice in whether or not they did it, which is why it seemed like a sweat-shop kind of deal to me. They claimed that they worked for someone else who was much older, so I can only assume that person made more money than they did and underpaid them.

In the end it, it's all speculation, but with an interesting point - online farming is slowly making a noticeable world-wide market, and the lack of clarity in (specifically) U.S. laws now is not likely to continue... especially once Americans figure out a way to create a successful business model out of farming(something that's probably been elusive up until now, because of the value of the dollar in other world countries).

However, I do believe it is coming.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:14 AM   #22
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
This is exactly what I addressed previously in this thread, actually. Microsoft software is income property for it and thus the IRS treats MS as having sold said developer tool for $100 and then having donated $100 to charity. So, $100 in income and $100 in deduction, resulting in zero net tax implication.

The shiny axes would also be classified as income property and thus there would be no net tax implication.

Because one (your household junk) is classified as long-term capital gain property and one (said Shiny taxes) is classified as income property.
--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:32 AM   #23
the_logos
Legend

Old 03-24-2006, 01:43 AM   #24
the_logos
Legend

Yeah...It's not coming, it's here and has been so for quite awhile. IGE is far and away the biggest player in the secondary market for virtual assets. ALL the executives of IGE are here, including (former child actor) Brock Pierce, their CEO and founder. Their executive headquarters are in Los Angeles. David Christensen, their VP of Biz-dev, was at my roundtable today, and I assure you, he's very American. All the profits from IGE reside in the US and are taxed by the IRS.

It's not a complicated business and doesn't require any figuring out. It's purely about execution.

--matt
Old 03-24-2006, 08:30 PM   #25
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road
Care to qoute some sources, in Korean or English, that claims there are sweat shops here, of any kind?
Baram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:39 PM   #26
Baram

You're correct, WAY below minimum wage. South Korea's economy is actually starting(well has been) doing better than the US economy if you look at the exchange rate changes over the last few years. The won/dollar rate has gone from 1200 about 3 years ago to around 950 now, about a 30% difference. Standard of living is basically the same, though the average salary is still a bit lower(but so are the costs of living, so it equals out).

I'd find it hard to believe there are any "companies" out there using Korean children to farm items in any MMPROG. It's not worth it money wise, legally, not to mention kids here tend to go to schools(public and private) from 7am to about 10-11pm 6 days a week.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:54 PM   #27
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
I don't think it neccesarily has to be children, the man in the article was 23. There're places here in America where you can get paid little to no money for doing physical labor.

They're just work camps, you get paid a small amount of money to harvest crops, but you also get free living space. I used to work at one, it was sort of like being a slave, but I'm a black man who didn't go to college, I didn't have much of a choice.

I don't know all that much about Korea, are there places like that there?
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:59 PM   #28
Baram

There are a lot of jobs that offer free housing, but also come with a decent salary... a lot of teaching jobs at private schools pay 1-2k USD a month plus free housing.

In some of the more rural area's, you could find something similar to that. Long farming style hours, free room and board, small paycheck. But if you put a monitary value on the room and board, it still(should) hit the minimum wage limit.

But child sweat-shops... no, I've never heard of anything even remotely close to that.

한국말 할수있으면 해야조

Since it doesn't seem to like using real letters:
Hangukmal halsu issuemyeon haeyajo
Old 03-26-2006, 12:36 AM   #29
the_logos
Legend

Just a point: The exchange rate doesn't tell you which economy is doing better, by itself. A stronger dollar doesn't mean a better US economy, and a weaker dollar doesn't mean a weaker US economy.

--matt
Old 03-26-2006, 01:28 AM   #30
Baram

You're right, I just used that as one example as it's the only thing I know exact numbers for. People I know back home say finding a job is still hard to find(one being a Cornell graduate, so it's not lack of degree/experience/etc), but here jobs are easy to find. Last time I went out to find a job, I had 5 job offers within 2 weeks.

Now you can say, Korea is smaller than the states, which is true but if you look at % of unemployment I'm sure there's a big difference... I'll try to find the exact numbers later. Homeless is the same way, the % of homeless here is probably far lower. I don't know exact numbers, but I know how often I saw someone that was homeless in NYC compared to how many I see in Seoul now, and it's a big difference.

Dragon Slayers or Tax Evaders? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what is with giving dragon swords?? veen Advertising for Players 2 08-21-2006 04:38 PM
Purple Dragon Returns! Azeroth Advertising for Players 0 08-27-2005 12:30 PM
Substitute for Dragon Realms? WagesofSin Tavern of the Blue Hand 2 03-12-2005 12:16 PM
Legend of the Green Dragon at jointhesaga.com! Brody Advertising for Players 0 04-29-2003 04:52 PM
Legend of The White Dragon Emerald Dragon Roleplaying and Storytelling 1 04-20-2002 12:03 AM