Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Legal Issues
Click here to Register

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 03:41 AM   #41
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
If you have a problem with me moderating the forum, take it up with Synozeer. But - and I will warn you only once - if you continue your highly unprofessional ranting and personal attacks, without adding anything of value to the discussion, I will just remove your posts.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:24 AM   #42
Anitra

Anitra is on a distinguished road
Threshold: May 03 2006,20:29
You know it's funny that you should bring this issue up again.
I got a post deleted on that other thread myself. (It wasn't the first time either).

It was a fairly polite one-line request that the moderator there should do some moderating to deal with your repeated personal attacks. His response was to delete my post and apparently a couple of others too, while at the same time keeping most of your insults in the thread.

I'll repost it here, for others to judge whether it was necessary to remove it or not, and whether or not it is an example of the 'unbiased' moderating that Threshold is asking for:

Old 05-04-2006, 05:34 AM   #43
Soleil

Soleil is on a distinguished road
Old 05-04-2006, 05:43 AM   #44
Soleil

Where do you see that we are surprised? No surprise here Don, Medievia's ethics have been denounced for the past 10 years now. Bottom line is that we have bigger fish to fry and really do not care that the 'mud community' (in my mind small potatoes, in your mind a HUGE group of people) thinks we are unethical.

Matt did sum it up nicely ...
This is essentially why we don't care. DIKU doesn't care, only 5 or so MUD admins care enough to bring it up over and over on these forums. Keep bringing it up if you like. I will again repeat my mantra: It does nothing to change the situation.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:46 AM   #45
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
I don't start Medievia-based threads - I merely throw my support in a conversation where support is due. These threads flamed more often before I started using MUD forums at all, so it is only in my personal benefit to add in my two cents to an issue that probably will not die until either DIKU announces that they no longer care, or Medievia at least tries to make some attempt to repair the insult-to-injury they have done.

As far as how big the MUD community is - it is not the forum posters themselves that creates a large community. It is the fact that those who frequent the forums tend to be admins. Their opinions and ideas and ethics are naturally passed through them and into the MUDs they admin. This is easily traceable, sociologically. A group of 15-20 successful admins can effect the opinions of thousands and thousands of potential players. While that may not stop Medievia(I actually would never wish for any MUD to be shut-down, I only wish you would show some decency and respect), it certainly creates an awareness of the issue amongst MUDers both new and old.

That's my personal goal. If any of the other admins who happen to side with me(Anitra, Valq, KaVir, etc) on this issue have different goals, I cannot personally speak for their motives, though I assume that they are similar.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:44 AM   #46
cron0s

cron0s is on a distinguished road
I see you mentioned this in the other thread too, and while I take the point you are making I just wanted to correct you on one thing. Lucasfilm allows and even encourages works of non commercial fan fiction. Here's their Head of Fan Relations Steve Sansweet, quoted in an article on .
I found that quoted on the site. If you haven't seen it I recommend the download. It is very impressive for an amateur film.

Fortunately I don't know anything about Dragonball.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:48 AM   #47
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
I, for one, intend to make sure the issue doesn't fade. I wanted to give you a chance to at least refute the charges of plagiarism, because I didn't see how you could. I've seen you try to dance around the license issue (I think you're guilty there too, but at least there's room for debate), but this is so much more clear cut.

As another poster pointed out, if you're going to commit a crime, at least commit one for a purpose. You'll still be moral roadkill for doing it, but at least you'd have more spending money. Refusing to acknowledge the DIKU team's contribution is analogous to your decision to deride Synozeer's voting rules and refuse to comply with them. You gain nothing, lose the respect of community, and open yourself up to legitimate criticism for the foreseeable future.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:26 AM   #48
Anitra

Why would you give proper credit to the Diku code that your Mud developed from?

Simple answer:
Because it's the right and proper thing to do.

But you obiously don't care enough about right and wrong to be bothered about that, so I'll provide you with some other reasons:

- Because for the first time in 10 years that might give Medievia some positive publicity on the Mud boards.

- Because it might save you some awkward explanations the day your children get old enough to go on the net, and ask you why the family firm is referred to as 'Mercthievia' there.

- Because having to constantly defend Vryce's actions in the past is corrupting your soul. (I case you wonder, I am talking about the same process that you yourself refer to as 'developing a tough skin'.)

You know, when you first came to these boards, you sounded like a pretty nice person, and I felt genuinely sorry for you. Now you sound like an echo of Vryce, and I don't feel sorry for you at all.

Keep telling us that we should direct the flames at Vryce instead of you. He doesn't come to these boards. You do. And although you consistantly point out that he, not you, is responsible, you also obviously support his actions. That makes you as responsible as he is.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:29 AM   #49
Fern

Fern is on a distinguished road
Even though the legal issue in question is that of license violation, it feels as if the topic continues to circle back to the game mentioned in the topic title. As has been pointed out several times, this merely serves to shine the spotlight on the aforementioned MUD.

If this debate is going to continue, perhaps it should be moved to a new thread, discussed as a legitimate topic of concern, and the use of the specific game's name minimized or even entirely avoided.  I for one do not feel like providing any continued publicity to the particular game itself, but I would definitely contribute more into an objectively discussed thread.

This is a subject that is regurgitated every few months, with precious little new fuel added to the fire.  Let's treat it with the seriousness it deserves, the professionalism it warrants and the decorum that I hope we're capable of... and for a change without providing even more publicity and listening to even more rhetoric regarding the unnamed specific game's lack of proper credits, its owners' ethics, its departing players' chastisements, or its remaining players' chest-thumpings.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:01 AM   #50
Soleil

This was done first, in the thread.  Valg felt it necessary to create a new thread just for us, and therefore HE is the one responsible for giving Medievia the added publicity.  Thanks Valg.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #51
Soleil

Of course I support him, he is my husband.   However, I really can't speak with all honestly about what happened before 1995 because I wasn't around.  For that information I rely on what Vryce tells me.  I'll leave it at that.

Nothing awkward at all about explaining how a bunch of other jealous and zealous MUD admins stoop to namecalling and ethics arguments over an issue that should only be decided by a judge in a courtroom.  The fact alone that anyone calls us that nickname is proof enough that this whole issue is juvenile.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #52
John

John is on a distinguished road
Could you please not lobby insults at people please? If you feel that someone has insulted you in this thread then at the very least PM the moderator for this subforum.

Also, do you believe all legal issues should only be decided in the courtroom?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:19 AM   #53
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Perhaps you should divorce him then. I mean, he's an unethical asshole. If he's got no conscience about stealing, what's to say he has any concern about beating you or any children you may have?

Maybe he does beat you and you're one of those wives in denial of the fact that she's married to an asshole (the former may not be true, but the latter certainly seems the case). Hard to say without actually observation. You certainly don't seem to have the reasoning skills to ascertain right and wrong very well and seem to be overly-dependant upon his interpretation of things as a guideline for what is and isn't correct. Sounds like a classic doormat-wife to me.

One thing though, please. Don't have children. With your attitude about ethics, I seriously hope you never have any. If so, they'll end up being a pathetic lot of criminals if you intend to teach them ethics by example: "It's not really a crime, son, if it never comes to court. Just look at daddy."

Take care,

Jason
Old 05-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #54
Soleil

This is when I bow out of the conversation because I do not wish to stoop THIS low.  Once my family is insulted and threatened, it's just not worth it.  Have fun judging me and my family based on this inane issue.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:30 AM   #55
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Bwahahahahahahahahahaha. Oh man, that is rich.

That post is a perfect example of the morals and ethics that are at the core of the Anti-Medievia crowd as well.

That is a perfect example of why this issue should be buried FOREVER and never, ever talked about on any MUD community forum.

That post is also, quite possibly, the most disgusting thing ever posted on TMS.

Congratulations Prof. I'd recommend a new handle for any future posts here.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:07 AM   #56
Valg

No, that post is prof1515's. He speaks for himself, just like I speak for myself and you speak for yourself. Please cease the sweeping insults.

I think it is disingenuous of Soleil to claim ignorance of any of the case's details (pre-1995 or otherwise), however, given her official capacity as Medievia's PR director. She could find them out rather readily.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:34 PM   #57
Anitra

prof1515, that post of yours was way out of line.
Nobody deserves a low blow like that.

You should apologise to Soleil, and to the board.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #58
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Then I assume we can dispense with claims that "the community" is against Medievia, since it's only a few individuals speaking out against them and they don't, as you say, represent anyone but themselves.

--matt
Old 05-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #59
Valg

Please re-read the thread. Where am I saying that?

I was advised not to feed the trolls. If you have anything to say about the topic of plagiarism, feel free to pipe up. Otherwise, don't add to the problems that prof1515 and Threshold have been causing.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:13 PM   #60
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Valg wrote:
Right there. Previous page in this thread. You only represent yourself when it's convenient, and then claim to inform us what "the community" will do when it's convenient.

--matt
Closed Thread

Medievia and Plagiarism - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medievia V Soleil Advertising for Players 8 07-03-2006 12:12 PM
Medievia tyreblood Advertising for Players 14 01-04-2006 04:44 PM
New Changes to Medievia! Soleil Advertising for Players 4 10-09-2005 12:44 PM
Medievia V is here! Soleil Advertising for Players 0 06-28-2005 04:29 PM
Medievia Anzerion Advertising for Players 60 05-12-2005 08:10 PM