Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Legal Issues
Click here to Register

Old 08-16-2004, 04:54 PM   #1
Milar

Milar is on a distinguished road
Hi, I would like some legal advice on what if anything I can to about this...

As far as we are concerned there is a concentrated DoS attack happening daily. We have logged hundred of pages in the last week.

We literally have hundreds of pages of this... its coming from the same home ip as a past banned player.  And we have reported it to abuse@bellsouth.  However Im wondering about further actions we can take as I believe this is illegal.  Thanks for advice in advance.

Milar

P.s. This has been going on since WR admin posted the review asking the banned player to leave us alone.
Dont know if that has anything to do with the spam.
Milar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 05:17 PM   #2
Tezcatlipoca

Tezcatlipoca is an unknown quantity at this point
Although not legal advise, I think the best advise I have is to do one of two things.
First, do what you've already done: contact , give them the IP, time of occurance, and possibly a log of the problem. Explain to them that this is a hinderance, as well as an abuse of your server's services, and that it probably constitues a DoS attack on your server. Being their ISP, you believe that it is in their interests to terminate the account as soon as possible. Most ISPs don't want any trouble, and chanses are, if you check their usage disclaimer, they state that they don't allow, and will disconnect anyone performing such activities.
Second, get yourself a firewall (software or hardware, although hardware is better, and more expensive) with IP banning, and ban the IP. It'll stop it earlier in your network, keep the server program from being overtaxed, and possibly save on a bit of wasted bandwidth.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 05:53 PM   #3
Enola_Phoenix

Enola_Phoenix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Enola_Phoenix Send a message via MSN to Enola_Phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Enola_Phoenix
The best thing to do as did was contact bellsouth, they will most likely contact the user first, considering technically they are indemnified of all actions by the user, and are not held responsible for the actions of the user. The next step would be to contact your hostirng service and find out their state law as that would be the state that would handle all actions. Only 22 of the 50 states have a law restricting connection's unless they exceed 16k which is considered an attack, but considering most telnet connections only ping at 64 bytes that probably wont be viewed as an attack more possibly the mud player left their client open and they had auto reconnect, therefor it would create a continuous loop. Another thing would be to do a permban against the site and not just a ban, unless it is taking up any bandwith (which 64k a connection probably wouldn't) theres not to much to worry about, a log aggrivation at most. Tez had the right idea with a firewall would stop the ip before it even it your server. Other than that most states do not currently hold a restriction on connection unless like I said exceeds 16k (considered a bomb). On another legal note, posting of someones Ip address is illegal in 41 states, Hawaii and Alaska being two its not, leaving all inland states to only have 7, its considered a personal identification and could fall under many constraints of the law, legal advice there just edit the ip address out of the previous post.
I would go with a firewall, something that would stop the problem at the source, does this happen constantly at all times trying to connect, does it cause any lag or anything with your gaming system?
Enola_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:58 PM   #4
Enola_Phoenix

Send a message via AIM to Enola_Phoenix Send a message via MSN to Enola_Phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Enola_Phoenix
er I'm sorry, there was an error in my previous post, its not the state the server is in, its the state that the abusing user is in that would handle all legal actions, since this would be considered a civil matter and you didn't say any damages were done so well really theres nothing to even worry about, harassment would hardly be the case they are banned and their connection is refused, seems to me its just a waste of the users time in trying.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:14 AM   #5
White_Rose

White_Rose is on a distinguished road
I've been holding off saying this publicly, it was me whose been trying to log to your mud. Why because I have a few things I'd personally like to say to you Milar. I've never played Wizards Realm, but I'm a personal friend of Ryan's in real life who has seen all this **** happen and be blamed on him.

You have a lot of nerve trying to bring up legalities, considering one, I know first hand from the builder who used to build for you 80% of youre so called unique areas all violate copyright infringement laws, here something GET AN IMAGINATION!!!

Two I know for a fact Ryan didn't write any reviews about your mud, how about looking for the players who left along with him, Sean, Jeremy, Danielle. Are they not entitled to their opinion as well? Or is it that you just don't want your STOCK and STOLEN creativity mud brought into the light.

And as far as the flamewar post, I've watched the entire thing, he contacted WR politely asking them to keep him out of this, what did you do you acted like mature adults and refused to look into to get the facts.

You know I've had about enough of your holier than though attitude, and posting an IP address is HIGHLY illegal, like Ryan said its a Personal ID system, just like posting someone driver's license number or car tag number. So how about this, yall both forget each others names and go on with your OWN muds. If something goes wrong find the facts how about it, not just push it on anyone but you. And my Legal Advice, before telling someone else whats illegal why not try sweeping your own front porch as the old southern saying goes. Lets see whats worse, being banned from a server, or paying copyright infringement fees to TOR and Terry Goodkind?

Sincerely
White_Rose
Chelsea
"I don't have to hide behind a screen name"
White_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:37 AM   #6
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
/me whines and cries.

Just wanted to feel like one of the crowd here...

My advice would be for all parties concerned to choke back their pride and get over it. From what I've seen nothing is going to be solved here except more flaming and crying. Get over it and learn that next time you decide to get involved somewhere to get your terms straight before hand. Live and learn, don't whine and cry.
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:46 AM   #7
Enola_Phoenix

Old 08-17-2004, 02:06 AM   #8
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
I'm actually looking forward to the pistols at twenty paces.

In all seriousness stuff happens and often people agree to disagree and head out on their own. Cheap shots and petty spams should seriously be beneath all of us.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 02:17 AM   #9
Milar

Milar is on a distinguished road
ok I will address these lies one by one....

"You have a lot of nerve trying to bring up legalities, considering one, I know first hand from the builder who used to build for you 80% of youre so called unique areas all violate copyright infringement laws, here something GET AN IMAGINATION!!! Yeah we have the same Ip address, were in the same geographical area where bellsouth is the ONLY local phone service provider, you blocked alot of users by banning bellsouth."

We have been slowly but steadily changing all SoT related things since before we had to ban Ryan from WR.  And if you think Ryan's 2 areas constitute 80% of our original areas you obviously do not know anything about our mud. I did not know about posting addresses as being illegal or I would never have done so.

"Two I know for a fact Ryan didn't write any reviews about your mud, how about looking for the players who left along with him, Sean, Jeremy, Danielle. Are they not entitled to their opinion as well? Or is it that you just don't want your STOCK and STOLEN creativity mud brought into the light."

Shall I post the notes on the harrassment as reasons for 2 of his friends leaving the mud before he was ever vaped?  Shall I show logs of Ryan admitting to looking for loopholes in rules so he could harrass players.? He was not vaped only because of his area cheats, he was vaped for harrassement of players, for logging in a main port immortal and using the immortals powers to help his mortal. (he was a builder on the build port only and should not have been using another imms character) all very reasonable reasons for vape.  Just so you know, Jeremy contacts us frequently letting us know he is coming back when he has a home connection again.  Our mud does have stock areas but at almost 8k rooms we have more than double the original stock in areas.. but why should you try to be honest.

"And as far as the flamewar post, I've watched the entire thing, he contacted WR politely asking them to keep him out of this, what did you do you acted like mature adults and refused to look into to get the facts."

He did not contact us at all until will asked him to stop posting reviews under any name he can think of. Or maybe that was you also since youve already shown your vindictive side.

" Lets see whats worse, being banned from a server, or paying copyright infringement fees to TOR and Terry Goodkind? "

We changed our background story long before Ryan ever left, he knows that also, but that wouldnt have helped him try to get WR shut down out of spite.  We are no longer based on SoT we dont advertise that we are... so you can stop this line of attack now.... We ignored yours and Ryans backhanded childishness long enough.  We have over 4 years into this game and yes its our baby.  

So now that that is cleared up thank you for your time, Milar

P.S. I wont be responding to anything further just sick of being constantly slandered without being allowed to stand up for ourselves.  Since if you do defend yourself from these people you get attacked for that also.
Milar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:04 AM   #10
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
It's not.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:04 PM   #11

No it's not.

Need some advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post