Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Armegeddon Forum Policy? (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7561)

Newworlds 06-18-2016 01:25 AM

Armegeddon Forum Policy?

Got a question.

While surfing the net to find some forums on MUDs I oddly came upon this little gem:

It is a post on the Armageddon Game Forums where the Administration encourages their players to post negativity about other games on their forums. I found this quite shocking.

While I'm not a fan of Armageddon for a variety of reasons (mainly the concept and construct of what is roleplay intensive). I have never spoken poorly about their game in the Ateraan forums or on our game. Nor does New Worlds Ateraan tolerate negativity about other games on our forums or in OOC discussion. This is because it is always one sided and almost always lacking the true facts of the game. On the contrary, I have suggested Armageddon as a viable alternative to a Roleplaying game.

I just happened to remember the player who posted when he came on the game. He was adverse to the difficulty of the roleplay involved in joining a guild on Ateraan as well as many roleplay intensive things on Ateraan that made me surprised he was an Armageddon player but couldn't handle the roleplay requirements of Ateraan. I was going to post many of his comments and refute them as silly and non factual, but my real question is this: Why is the administration of Armageddon encouraging this type of forum against other games? Could someone from Armageddon answer this question?

rendekar 06-18-2016 12:43 PM

Re: Armegeddon Forum Policy?

NewWorlds: Ateraan is a decent game. I'll probably return to this mud. However, I just can't understand one thing; Why do you want to be called roleplay intensive so badly? I liked the ooc channel and general playerbase in my brief experience. It's the style of the mud which is cool. And there is a huge playerbase with good amount of roleplay opportunities.

BTW It's unacceptable if they encourage their players to post negativity about other games, you're right.

WarHound 06-18-2016 06:00 PM

This isn't the official GDB. Not sure but I think it is the random forum an ex plyer creqted for other ex plyers to hang out in and bitch bout Armageddon. I have never seen Armageddon staff allow something like this and while I didnt read the entire text wall ranting about New Worlds, I didnt see anything there that says the Arm staff or community would encourage it.

WarHound 06-18-2016 06:05 PM

Yeah. After looking bit, this is the forum where disgruntled players go to gripe and share IC secrets. Armageddon staff has no control of random ex players bagging on your game there. Sorry man.

dark acacia 06-18-2016 11:21 PM

A quick look at the parent board reveals this little gem:

Emphasis added.

So basically Mister Newworlds is just huffy about people pointing out that his empire has no clothes. I read the thread that he linked to here and he had similar issues as me with the way things are in the game--the canned emotes (and the people who use them--seriously, it's like going to the Proms or Salzburg where everyone coughs after each movement), the dippy RP, the endless stream of login announcements, the lack of a prompt, the crappy entrance requirements for guilds. Good thing he didn't try the south part with the mandatory slavery, or the corn-growing. That guy isn't merely blowing smoke, he had some legitimate issues with the game, and he's not the only one.

Newworlds 06-19-2016 01:29 AM

Really? What a childish response. It is no wonder you don't like enforced roleplay. I'm not angry at the post, just curious why it was sponsored by the game. Kindly enough, Warhound set the record straight in a mature fashion to which I am grateful. To you Dark Acacia, you have the same misinformation as the poster did, let's name them:

Newworlds 06-19-2016 01:30 AM

Thanks for the update. I have to apologize for not digging deeper myself and seeing that this was not official.

Newworlds 06-19-2016 01:50 AM

Hello Rendekar. I don't think the argument was ever why NWA wanted to be called roleplay intensive, but rather why the few administrators of games that call themselves RPI refuse to allow anyone to use the term Roleplay Intensive that do not follow their specific set gaming conventions. I among others have argued that these conventions do not give a game a more intensive roleplay experience. Like it or not, that was the very reason for the term RPI. Not sure we've ever used the term RPI before. I think in humor we made up RPEI (roleplay enforced intensive) or something like that.

I think it would have helped this whole group to use a different term rather than than trying to claim somehow their system promotes more roleplay than any other system of required roleplay. It has been argued into the ground and the only way someone will know is to play both and see which is more intensive and engaging.

Does that make sense?

dark acacia 06-19-2016 11:52 AM

You don't like it so it's automatically childish. Got it.

I actually prefer to play enforced roleplay games. FORCED roleplay is another story.

It's not.

More mature than you. Also, he took the time to actually see what the forum was.

It's dark acacia.

Roleplaying is fine. Your system is broken. It shouldn't be a test to see if someone really wants to play the game--they're already online, what do you think they want to do?

It's still pointless, forced roleplay that doesn't accomplish anything.

No, he wanted an RP game. READ HIS ENTIRE POST. A hack-and-slash game would be RetroMUD or BatMUD or Achaea or Threshhold. RP isn't important in those places.

He even posted a log of Ateraan's magnificent RP culture in his thread, and boy is it a howler.

It's been years since I played in Ateraan, but I remember being turned off by some "event" where this one chick gathered everyone to this place where she basically copy/pasted some essay she wrote to everyone in attendance. You know how when you go to a classical music concert, everyone coughs between movements, not necessarily because they had to cough but to let you know that they know the appropriate time to cough? Well, people were using stock emotes after each paragraph, and it reminded me of that (note that I haven't been to Salzburg, but I used to listen to NPR's live transmissions from the Mozart Festival and you can hear the coughing--it's not nearly as obnoxious at the US Coast Guard Academy's public concerts). 15-20 or so people sighing, shifting, nodding, or whatever. I got bored and did something in another window, I don't remember what.

Newworlds 06-19-2016 05:09 PM

Hello dark acacia, I'll try to respond to some of your comments.
Nothing in the game is forced roleplay. You start as a character with a choice of backgrounds and race. What you do with it is your own roleplay.

It doesn't test that, it tests their ability to join an exclusive group. He never had to. He failed on one of the easier guilds and then again to become a guildless person. That quest is actually easier than he made it, but he didn't understand it nor did he get help from others. I remember this guy, he was better off in a game that has easy quests and easy rankings.

I read his post and found that when he had the opportunity to roleplay he didn't want to. He wanted to hack and slash his way into a guild. Doesn't work that way. I know it may seem like you are FORCED to roleplay, but you aren't. He didn't even have roleplay with others if he didn't want to, but nothing is easy on NWA. You have to show some semblance of commitment to something. Should the Garrison really allow any weakling without honor into it? Should the Shaman allow those lacking a spiritual understanding into their guild, should the Merchants allow a person who only wants to battle into their fold?

No he posted a singular moment in the Tavern late at night. I told you I recognized this player and he was about as far away from roleplay ability as a 13 year old on Pokemon mud.

This is a standard practice when doing roleplay like a theater event, sermon, or other preplanned event. While many events utilize spontanaiety, for some it slows down the game if you aren't prepared. You likely have never been involved in a setup group roleplay event like this. I have seen 100's and many are very interactive throughout even during sermons you have great conflict after. Some roleplay events are boring, that doesn't mean the roleplayer is bad. Your interaction in roleplay defines who you are. If you do not like to engage don't blame the roleplayer you are not interacting with.

Did you ever make it into a guild on NWA?

Malifax 06-20-2016 09:04 AM

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but, well, a couple of issues have been brought up here that I'm truly curious about.

What defines a game as "Hack 'n Slash?"

and...

There's a time and a place for everything. Sometimes a remark deserves a simple smirk and sometimes a situation demands role-play that's a lot more involved. Why the disdain for coded emits?

I love great role-play as much as anybody. I have become immersed in some fantastic, long-running stories that I would stack up against any "intense role-play" in any game anywhere. And what made it great was the people I was playing with and the staff stirring the pot behind the scenes--not the absence of coded emits or the lack of opportunity to go maul some critters and level up if I wanted to.

dark acacia 06-20-2016 12:06 PM

Stock emotes almost always have exactly one action and one specific emotion. They represent a lack of thought and interest, while custom emotes are (or at least should be) tailored to the specific instance in the situation where they are used. It's really tiresome to go somewhere and read "Person inclines his head to you" over and over. One time I responded with "You roll a marble down Person's inclined head" and it wasn't received well.

Hack 'n Slash games are games that are all about just fighting monsters. There's nothing wrong with that.

Newworlds 06-20-2016 03:24 PM

Hack and Slash or H&S, like dark acacia said, are about fighting monsters, but the term is sometimes synonomous with games that rely on killing monsters to progress either in levels or skills or other factors. It can sometimes be considered a derogatory term to games that claim to be centered around roleplay. Evenso, H&S has its place in nearly every game I've played and it can be considered a lot of fun. Depends on your taste of gaming.

I have yet to find a game that doesn't have some form of coded emotes like: smile, laugh, giggle, cry, and the like. Most of these games also have emote commands that are open ended like: emote bobby laughs heartily as he falls upon the table and chokes on the small piece of beef in his mouth.

Some games go to the extreme with this allowing for robust and complex parsing as in: emote ! jumps up an points at &bob with a %sword while displaying a %knife toward &joe. If you were bob this would appear as: Karen jumps up and points at you with a sleek bladed long sword while displaying a emerald dagger toward joe. For example.

In NWA we have coded emotes, open ended emotes, pmotes, omotes, tmotes, some of which are parser emotes and some not. Some games like the fuller parcer robust emotes which I am not a fan of.

In the end, you are absolutely right Malifax, the style doesn't matter so much as the player behind it. :-)

Malifax 06-20-2016 05:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. I grew up playing Gemstone, Legends of Futures Past and Inferno, all three commercial games that together ran from the mid-80's until 2006 or so. I've had almost zero exposure to the world of free MUDs and as a result get quickly lost when community abbreviations, acronyms and terms are used in a discussion. My perspective on MUDs tends to be a little different than most folks'.

Newworlds 06-20-2016 11:15 PM

Ha! You should have seen me when I first started a MUD years ago. Fun times.

Glad we could help.

dark acacia 06-21-2016 07:35 PM

You know what, I was going to ignore Newworlds' salty tears in this thread, but now I think it's time for me to try Ateraan again after who knows how many years and actually update my list of criticisms of that game.

...I just have to find the time now.

EDIT: why is "ateraan corn planting" trending on DuckDuckGo? I hated the corn planting system, by the way.

Newworlds 06-21-2016 11:36 PM

I am thankful that you did not ignore the tears and you are willing to come back to Ateraan. It is always helpful to have good constructive criticism that will make the world a better place.

Jazuela 06-25-2016 11:21 AM

Eh. This entire thread looks like yet another attempt to advertise the OP's game without actually advertising the OP's game. The OP prides himself on attention to detail, and yet he was unable to notice that the website of his concern was NOT an official site of the game? First rule of the WWW - which should be a matter of habit for any self-respecting game developer: know your source.

He didn't even CHECK his source. Again - just another plug for his game as far as I'm concerned.

Newworlds 06-26-2016 03:02 PM

Really? Is it at all possible for you to live in reality?

By posting here it was much more efficient, effective, and successful to verify the source rather than researching Armageddon and the web to find out what forums are related or not.

Jazuela 06-26-2016 06:32 PM

No, it was much more efficient to read the first post on the announcements subforum of THAT forum that you "happened" to visit, which is at the very top of the main forum, in bold, separated from the rest of the forum. In fact, the post that you could've found this out very easily with, was the "latest post" on that subforum, called: to new and old visitors alike from the GDB

If you had read that one single post, at the very top of the forum there, in the Announcements section, you would have seen the purpose of the forum, which specifies it's for ex-players, current players, and ex-staffers. Not exactly something you'd expect to see from an "official" game site.

And then there's the very next stickied thread, warning people not to post anything that could identify themselves so as to prevent them from being banned from the game...

And if that wasn't enough to convince you, the very top of the board, there's a quoted "testimonial":

"The original point of their community is to say crappy things about ours and help people cheat." - some cat lady

But no - you felt it was more efficient, effective, and successful to post your criticism first, then discover your criticism was 100% groundless by waiting for someone here on a totally other website to point it out to you?

You've supported my opinion even more firmly: you only post here to advertise, and use thinly veiled opinions about things in general just to get your game's name bumped up to the top of the recent topics list.

Newworlds 06-27-2016 09:38 PM

I feel like I'm talking to a ten year old.

Learn to follow your own advice. You falsely accused me of advertising this game by asking a question. If that were the case, why are you so ignorant as to re-post on this thread that was about to be gone and bring it back to the top? The EXACT thing you were accusing me of doing, instead of letting it fall off the list? Could it be you work for me and were joining in the advertising campaign? I dare say no, you were just being...well, you.

If you follow your own advise and read this thread completely, it is very clear that the question was asked honestly, that the answer was given honestly (by some), and that it ended there. You and only you decided to keep the thread alive. You and only you are at fault for this.

Honestly, your posts are beginning to have the taste of troll in them with a peppering of hypocrisy.

beanluc 06-28-2016 01:02 AM

Except in THIS case. This time, a different game's name is getting bumped every time.

Yours?

Heh.

Realedazed 07-05-2016 10:17 AM

Honestly, I found the criticism of the game spot on. I actually enjoy playing New Worlds. I like the mini games (fishing, clamming, etc) and the occasional light RP that can be had while doing those activities. But, I wouldn't go there for anything other than "tavern RP". Also, if you are not a "BORGer", you will burn out before you can even join a guild.

I would love it that during Serfdom, a player could be an apprentice, acolyte, hopeful or something before gaining full guild acceptance. Then, the newbie is given a set of tasks and are actually taught about the guild, their beliefs, their mission, etc. When I played, I felt like it was assumed that I was an old player with a new character. I was given pages and pages to read, then expected to write an essay. Almost every question I had was met with "Find out IC" then when I tried to find out ICly, I found nothing but idlers.

I wanted to play a Druid. I don't remember the exact details, but I was sent several long mail messages and my task was to explain the concept of nature or something like that. Where's the RP in that? I would like it if I was tasked with sitting in on sermon or lectures, then providing feedback. Or, given a tenet of the religion and tasked with going out in the world and doing something accordance to that. For example, "Go forth and be awesome to each other". So, I go out and compliment everyone I meet in the streets, then go back to write on how that made me feel or something. Honestly, that seems much more interactive and fun to me. But, each his own.

Also, somewhat related rant. From their descriptions, there's so much Traders/Merchants can do. They control the ships, housings, banks/storage, etc. But, they only focus on descriptions for clothing, food, perfumes. etc. I wanted to be a merchant to RP all types of stuff, but I'm not a good writer (as you may have noticed, lol). Despite this, I actually enjoyed my time applying for the this guild because it was so interactive. It wasn't like that by design, though. It was the typical task mail tag. But, since I had to ask for feedback a lot, I got to follow a few merchants around while I waited for them to be free to help me. I got to RP with both merchants and customers and see what they do on the daily. In the end, I didn't continue since writing descriptions burned me out (I really hate descing, I'd rather just RP).

Newworlds 07-06-2016 07:49 PM

I don't think you really had the chance to play the game long enough to get into the deeper side of things. From your descriptions and critique it sounds like you never even joined a guild which is sad. I think you might have liked the more seroius role play you find when you get involved with a guild, religion, politics, intrigue, social conflict, and the interaction those things bring.

Realedazed 07-06-2016 08:07 PM

Unfortunately, I didn't join a guild. BORGing wore me out because I don't really care for the combat system. Then, as a serf I spent a great deal of time applying for the Merchants guild, but I really didn't want to describe things. So, I after about 3-4 tasks I just gave up. I attempted to apply to the Druids, but was very put off by the essays that I needed to write. I know, I'm playing a text game. But, I *really* don't find writing like that fun. Different strokes for different folks. Not trying to bash the game, because I did enjoy some of my time there. But, in the end, I guess the game is just not for me.

Newworlds 07-07-2016 11:22 AM

There are many things to do besides hunting/adventuring. I think you would have enjoyed the Druids or if you have a dark side then the Dahkoar (however, you'd have to start in the south for that and that may have been too rough. Depends on your ability to handle hierarchy and oppression). I agree with you about the writing, what's up with that!? I don't remember druids requiring that. I tend to like tasks to involve others or be quest'ish, ya know?

Anyways, I think the game is for you if you can land in a guild and become involved. As for bashing the game? Nothing wrong with that if it is constructive criticism. If you got the nerve, I would challenge you to start in the southland and get into the Dahkoar Guild. I'd be interested in what you thought. It is much tougher though so maybe not :-P

Realedazed 07-07-2016 05:55 PM

Actually I debated checking it out. The character I've been wanting to play was a Druid that was all about the dark side of nature. I think you have to wait until you make into a guild and some other stuff before you can make a second. I didn't want to delete my current character since she was able to get a boat and a bunch of custom stuff.

Captive 07-07-2016 06:24 PM

Let's note the irony of the thread ending up here given earlier comments.

This guy really can take a post about absolutely anything and turn it into a reason why everyone should play New Worlds. He makes it an art form. At least it's his own thread this time, not the usual hijacking.

WarHound 07-07-2016 08:43 PM

Hard to fault the guy for pushing his own game. He could certainly stand to be a little less... whorish about it.

Newworlds 07-07-2016 09:08 PM

Seeing all the threads you have started and the plethora of posts you have made your words do hold a lot of weight mister Captive. I can tell they are sincere and constructive....on the other hand, perhaps not.

Newworlds 07-07-2016 09:10 PM

Yes, I should not have responded to any of the replies here. That makes perfect sense.

Newworlds 07-07-2016 09:17 PM

Due to the Armageddon posters recent replies, I'll send you a PM for information on what to do about your character.

Short answer: Yes, you cannot make a 2nd character, but your idea of a Dark Druid has a lot of promise.
Long answer: Look for a PM.

Jazuela 07-09-2016 10:34 AM

WTH are you talking about? This poster has SEVEN posts total on TMS, spanning back several years. Unlike yourself, Captive has not spammed TMS forum with thread and post after thread and post pretending to be concerned about a subject, but really only trying to insert his own game into the topic, thus derailing it and promoting his own game in the process. You know, like how the insurance salesman at your cousin's wedding reception manages to thrust the topic of insurance into every conversation, thus making everyone feel uncomfortable and driving them to suddenly have an interest in Aunt Millie's lampshade hat over on the other side of the dance floor.

You ARE that sleazy insurance salesman. You might be selling awesome insurance, but no one wants to buy it from you, because of your tactics.

Newworlds 07-09-2016 10:53 PM

Is Jazuela the only one that didn't notice my post was dripping with unabashed sarcasm? Classic Jazuela as usual.

dark acacia 08-09-2016 10:30 PM

Back again after giving Ateraan another try. I've been planting stuff for days trying to get to level 10 and max out my skills. The tavern is always dead. People don't RP much [with newbies] and they don't emote or maybe I'd learn ICly better ways of getting experience at immigrant status. There's 130+ people online, but I don't see how because it's always so dead (unless they're all in the South).

WarHound 08-11-2016 10:24 AM

This thread is back. Hooray.

Newworlds 08-11-2016 09:44 PM

Suprisingly it never left. :p

SelfCoded 08-21-2016 04:28 PM

Uh, what?

Someone gave a thorough review of your game on a forum somewhere, and you're crying about the Armageddon staff why? Encourages players to post negatively...?

That's such a bad, misleading way to present your query. I've never played your game, but if this is the kind of administration leading it... I'm not touching your game.

If you wanted to respond to a review about your game, then you do that. That's fine. That's not what you're doing. You're trying to appeal to others in an attention seeking manner as if you've been done some great injustice. Someone reviewing your game is not a great injustice.

Grow up.

Newworlds 08-22-2016 10:56 PM

You do realize you are about 2 months late and 20 posts short. Perhaps read through the thread before you comment on an old post and then all of your goals and dreams will be realized.

Nevertheless, thank you for bumping it to the top and keeping it alive. Warhound, did you put him up to this? :p

dark acacia 08-22-2016 11:21 PM

Good job proving them right about you.

Also I tried Ateraan again and it still sucks.

AlexRitor 09-16-2016 06:25 PM

Hey there.

I actually created an account to leave this note. Go figure. Havent participated in these forums for so so long.

Anyway. So check this.

I've played Muds for decades. I have two that I enjoy for the main part and I periodically try others. I've never played New Words Ateraan.

I can guarantee this though. For as long as I remember the existence of this thread. For as long as I remember the existence of NewWorlds forum handle, I will "never" ever try New Worlds Alteraan. Nevarrr. Just to spite him. I realize the mud itself is not at fault. The Mud cant control some overeager player making weird promotional threads on a forum that's not even on the mud's own site. I get all that. But in reading this thread, I have found NewWorlds posts so despicable, that I'm going to go ahead and do exactly opposite of what he is hoping to achieve. Instead of drumming interest in the mud he's 'so subtly' advertising, he/she have generated a vast amount of disinterest/dislike. It is my hope that this post will make the handler of NewWorlds think twice, when creating another one of those underhanded weird promotional threads.

Zera 09-19-2016 08:00 PM

For those of you just tuning in...

This thread is filled with trolls and assholes, and a couple people constructively discussing games. One, Newworlds, [sarcasm] keeps responding to questions or remarks, like some kind weird pedant who responds to things directed at him, and of all the ****wad things to do, he has a good-natured sense of humor about it. What a psycho. [/sarcasm]

If you're skimming, here's the jist. Armageddon.boards.net is not 'Armageddon's official website,' but rather one created by a player, and the particular post referenced was asking for negative remarks about muds apparently.

(for more info/detail, discover the truth on your own at , or, if you feel real daring, read the thread and follow the links provided.)

Then, some guy accuses one guy of bumping it just for promotional value, another guy's all 'blah blah blah, I hate stuff about it,' and then another guy, pretty passive about the whole thing is like, 'Meh, maybe kinda, but also, yatta yatta yatta'.

Since this is already filled with dicks and twats, I'll jump in!

I like New Worlds. Haven't played it much, but I'm getting involved. At first, I was like, wtf? Everyone just uses socials. This is lame. I gave it a try, nope, it's much like the real world, people you don't ****ing know or have any involvement in usually just nod and pass you by, laugh reflexively, or, in another words, just canned responses, (socials)

A good handful of people I've become involved don't do this. They started to, I refused to, and it was like some serious **** opened up. The more I role-play with these people, the less they use canned emotes. (I'm not gonna say 'be the change', because **** Ghandi with a chicken on a stick, that's not even his quote) But I am gonna say, if you're interested, don't be dissuaded by bridge-dwelling trolls and this guy up here who created two ****ing accounts just to jizz all over some other group's game just because when he went back, he couldn't come up with more reasons to bash it.

I was concerned about the lack of role-play, but I found it. Then I was concerned about having to 'Borg' as someone put it, which meant repeatedly killing mobs. I haven't found that a necessity at all, or even encouraged. I've spotted some people doing it, but just like those empty taverns that more often than not are full, I avoided them, and stuck with those who actual get a kick out of fleshy, deep emotes, char development, and using coded skills and behind the screen wit in a combination effort with others to tackle interesting, and (if you pay attention) well thought out quests. Not all of the time, no, because humans are people, and people are inconsistent ****heads that sometimes don't know what the meta-character behind the screen exactly wants for their character, or just don't feel like dancing the **** around for you.

The staff, however, will gladly help you. Getting newbies into a guild has become a big concern for them before asshole #2 posted, they even have a dated message board post for newbies and veterans saying, 'If you're not in a guild, and think you should be, contact us. Old folks, help them get in, don't be dicks, love, staff.' [Paraphrasing you pedants.]

Also, some ****head came in at the end of the thread, and made a pointless ****ing post. According to the rules of the internet, he is NOT who he says he is, and he IS who he says he's NOT, therefore, I'll pick someone at random.

I'm not Malifax.

SelfCoded 12-09-2016 08:21 AM

Okay, so, this is Prime Minister Sinister reporting in on a borrowed account because apparently it takes years for TMS to accept new accounts these days. They also don't respond to e-mails in a very timely manner.

Sorry I'm late to the party folks.

Anyhow.

I was going to let this sleeping dog lie until this little bit of trash talk here, which prompts me to point out a few things.

My dude, I think you either have me mixed up with another player, or you were only paying attention to me after I realized I wasn't going to find any decent RP on New Worlds and gave up on the prospect. Did you forget the part where the tour guides (on the few beginner tours I did take) gave me more-than-the-typical extra noob money because they liked what they saw and wanted me to stick around?

Also, singular moment in the Tavern late at night my foot. I didn't dump more logs because I'd just be repeating myself. Might want to consider pumping the breaks on the RPI train if proper RP can only be expected at certain times or with certain groups.

It's not a good look.

Oh right! All those RP opportunities I had. Of the few I can remember, one involved another character pointing at mine and proclaiming, "Boy fairy!", bewildered at the prospect that the fairy race isn't comprised entirely of buxom women with pretty wings. Apparently ugly fairies are also unheard of, because a few people commented on that shortly thereafter. Was it not in character for me to grumble discontent and ignore them as I tried to enjoy a drink while others formed a cuddle puddle in the corner? Maybe if there was a "think" command or some other way of documenting an internal monologue you'd have a clue. But nah, I remember when I asked about anything similar to a "think" command on the help channel, it was regarded as something useless and not conducive to RP because no other characters could read your thoughts.

There were those other RP opportunities, where people my character met would come meet him at the spawn location after he died and offer to give free equipment and any other help he might need. Asking my freshly-resurrected amnesiac where his body is so they can bury after hitting me over the head with the intro command was always one of my favorite occurances. It's really hard to RP the amnesia aspect of death in-game when pretty much everybody ignores it entirely.

"F*** a duck!"
-Actual quote from some guy that briefly stopped in the room I was in that happened to have a duck in it, he left before I could respond.

That aside, I RP'd plenty with the few people that remembered how to spell "emote" from time to time.

I'd hesitate to say I "failed" to join one of the easier guilds. I made an application to join the mage's guild, and was asked to write an essay about magic and why I want to do it. I have no inkling how magic works in this game, I don't know if there are rules, I don't know if there are categories, I don't know what is/isn't possible. There is also no documentation, and the few people I did try to talk to about it couldn't be bothered. I even pored over a bunch of books in the library, and aside from some poetry (ranging from "alright" to "cringe") I didn't find anything worthwhile, so I just kinda gave up.

On a later character it was more fitting for him to join the rogue's guild.

Let me ask you about the Rogue's Guild.

To join the Rogue's Guild, I apparently have to roll up and murder a bunch of monks that are a good bit stronger than a serf. I just.... I don't know. It was around there I gave up on RPing, because there's really no way I could justify that. If there's something I missed, I'd love to know. All I know is "You know anything about the Rogue's Guild?" yields "Go to the Monastery", and that's what I had to face. I didn't "want to hack and slash my way into a guild", joining this was pure combat unless there's some super obscure commands I'm not privy to. I couldn't bring anyone with me, and despite my best efforts and spammings of sojdodge/eat potato, it just didn't happen.

I should also add that asking other players about it in-game resulted in a bunch of "find out yourself", both IC and on OOC channels.

I'm not sure what you expect from me.

Ah, right. Sad for Realedazed, but I'm an asshole for venting my frustrations and goofing on the game. 10/10

Bullet point 1: So a barrage of login announcements and various other global announcements = simple to tune out.

But a prompt showing important information such as "am i dying right now" is obtrusive to RP?

GET OUT

Bullet point 2: Complete roleplay, unless you want to join the Rogue's Guild. Then you just have to know enough about the combat system and equipment to go all Viking on the monastery.

Bullet point 3: I dunno about that. I may have missed it, but when I created my current character a couple of weeks back (I'm back btw), I was thrown on to the auction platform pretty quickly. Did I have a choice?

Bullet point 4: was literally directed to hack and slash my way into a guild

---------------------------------------------------------------

In closing, I want to like New Worlds.

I might even wind up enjoying it, after going through the hassle of finding a clique that actually RPs, like everyone else has to apparently.

Until then I'll have my fun with collecting and narrating logs of what some people call RP.

Newworlds 12-11-2016 07:08 PM

Hmm, there are many new players that either know how to roleplay or learned how in the game. They do quite well and don't need cliques or anyone else to find their way.

Yes, I might have mixed you up with someone else and if that is the case, then my apologies.

Good luck on your search for a great roleplay game!