Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 03-22-2005, 05:29 PM   #21
Kallekins

Kallekins is on a distinguished road
I love when emotes include elements of your description or clothing.
(emote rakes his fingers through his long black hair.)
This reinforces my mental image of how the character looks (especially important if your mud uses names instead of short descs) without having to keep reading the full desc. Some people seem to read a desc just once when they meet somebody, and then rarely again. Also, if you have some change, like wounds or seeming tired, and don't want to rewrite your desc, it is good to emote with it. (emote limps across the room, clearly favoring her left leg.)
Pay attention to the weather and the room you're in, and include these in your emotes. (emote pulls the hood up on her shabby gray cloak as it starts to rain. emote crouches down by the campfire, stretching her hands toward the flames.) When people do this, it really makes the game much more immersive.
Also, pay attention to the positions and locations of others in the room, and be sure that what you do is physically possible, ie don't have your halfling pat a elf on the head.)
On emote length, I prefer short ones myself, especially when there are more than two people in the room. I think that the length and frequency of your emotes can affect how your character is perceived. Long, infrequent emotes may make them seem more dramatic, ponderous, and possibly thoughtful. Short quick emotes can make them seem active, exciteable, and possibly annoying. A lot of little emotes can also help hide sneaky actions.
It's a good idea to alias your favorite emotes, things that your character does often the same way. So he might have a certain way he bows, a particular laugh, a nervous habit. Don't rely on these aliases, but they do make things easier in fast situations, and consistent actions help make a character more consistent.
Kallekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 06:13 PM   #22
Oji_oem

Oji_oem is on a distinguished road
Emotes tips.......Well......I like it the most when I see a really original, amusing emote, that expresses the situation in the best way fit.
Oji_oem gets out his bug catching jar.
Something original.
Oji_oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:11 PM   #23
Paynifier

Paynifier is on a distinguished road
I've never been the best emoter myself, though in recent years I've found myself playing a RP mud called The Inquisition and enjoying it immensely. I'll direct you to a kind of cute log here of my character giving combat lessons to the Cardinal. It degrades in the end to a pk fight as she's called off to do something heroic. Though you aught read that part as well if you like emoting, and fighting because this mud has a neat system of combat emotes that calculate your chars skills and keywords in an emote to register hits and damage.

The mud itself is at 24.106.156.212 port 5050

Have a great day.
Paynifier is offline   Reply With Quote

Looking for emote tips - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I want to make a mud, Can anyone help me with tips Tjnet88 MUD Builders and Areas 35 09-02-2008 02:37 PM
Recent additions to the Accursed-Lands emote syste virthe Advertising for Players 0 04-16-2006 10:37 AM