Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 10-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
Jaesil

Jaesil is on a distinguished road
A request for recommendation

Yes, this is another "What codebase should I use thread?". I have tried to figure out which one to use on my own, but I'm still not sure which one to use.

I need something that is in C, (Python scripting can be bonus points), and will allow me to create a mud akin to the New worlds mud. I want a codebase that will work good for that style of mud.

This is just a private project I want to do with a friend.

I've looked at Smaugfuss, Circlemud, and nakedmud. I'm just kinda lost in what I should pick...

Hopefully I've described that clearly,

Thanks,

Jaesil
Jaesil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: A request for recommendation

New Worlds is an LPMud, have you tried looking at LPMud drivers and mudlibs?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Jaesil

I'm liking the look of this alot. I'll research into this more.

Thanks KaVir!
Old 10-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Actually it's based on that functioning style but we drove it from our own custom codebase. The LP dirivitives are pretty complex. If you are beginning with coding, you might stick with Smaug. It's the simplest of them all and can probably do everything you want. There is some new fangled LP out of the box (which may be simpler) but I can't remember what it is called.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough

Maybe Dead Souls?
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
Jaesil

I think the problem with LPmuds(tried dead souls) was that it could only be editted in lpc? I think I'm correct on that, as that was all I could tell from my experience. Plus I had a really weird experience with the "dchat" function, thinking that it was bots for some reason. It was interesting...

Anyhow, I see two choices, Dikumud or LPmud(At least offspring of them :P). I'll take some time to look into SMAUG.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
Atyreus

Home MUD: The Dreaming City
Atyreus is on a distinguished road

Another option worth looking at if you are aiming to create an LP-style mud is Genesis/ColdC. ColdC works like the various flavors of LP in that the game runs on a server (written in C) that provides the socket protocols and script interpretation engine, and leaves everything else to be put together using the scripting language (ColdC). It, thus, has the same advantages of coding in LPC - shorter development time, the ability to make significant changes without recompiling or rebooting, a stable interpreter which can absorb errors without crashing the game. Unlike LPC (except for the more advanced DGD), ColdC also allows you to make changes to objects which will propogate down through all its descendents without requiring them to be destroyed and recreated (it is also, unlike most flavors of LPC, the default behavior in ColdC for objects to persist over crashes and reboots). ColdC also provides a bit more control over low-level aspects of the game, giving you more control over the handling of sockets, and the parsing of incoming text, and the integration of MXP or other in-band or out-of-band protocols.

On the downside, I don't believe anyone is actively maintaining the Genesis server (though it's stable release is very stable), the documentation is minimal and assumes some programming experience, and the configuration script that ships with it sometimes needs to be kicked and prodded on some flavors of Linux.
Atyreus is offline   Reply With Quote