Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 12-12-2005, 07:14 PM   #1
naubol

naubol is on a distinguished road
Has anyone played with Oracle and C++?

Does anyone know how that would work with your typical mud solution?

Is OCCI non-blocking when it makes its calls? IE can you submit a select or send data without pausing the program and then poll your 'connection' till you see a response?

How much does OCCI help you with converting object data to relational data? Any common, cheap, free, good solutions out there for this?

Any other things one would think to say with regards to using Oracle and MUD's?

(platform is Solaris 10. using GCC and C++)

N
naubol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #2
ScourgeX

Home MUD: Scourge of Time
ScourgeX is on a distinguished road
I guess the first question to ask is "why Oracle?". You could use a free database such as MySQL (well, free if it is non-commerical I believe). Do you already have access to an Oracle database or something? I'm guessing that unless you have a very very large MUD that Oracle would be overkill.
ScourgeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:26 AM   #3
naubol

naubol is on a distinguished road
Multiple reasons, but mostly because Oracle seems to provide things that any MUD based on a database would want. e.g. feature rich application server for web-based database interactivity. Having looked over all of the different things Oracle has to offer, I have to come away with the feeling that in the end its a superior product. I could be wrong, and I'm certainly willing to hear why. I am not very knowledgable about DB issues. I'm just getting into it, actually.

Oracle is about to come out with a free copy of its server (limited in size I know, but still when a mud gets that big, it has ways of funding itself in order to upgrade). So why choose MySQL because its 'free'? It might not have a 4gig data limitation, but it has other limitations, comparitively. I'm not saying its a bad server, I've worked with it before...

Also, from a developer's perspective, MySQL seems to be blocking and OCCI doesn't. I'd rather not have to try to manage multi-threading on top of everything else, if I could.

Thoughts?
naubol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:51 AM   #4
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Dark Ages of Camelot (graphical MUD) runs on Mysql. If it can, I seriously doubt you'll need Oracle.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:46 AM   #5
rotm_adm

rotm_adm is on a distinguished road
Okay, here are the pros and cons for Oracle:

Pros:
1) Stable, enterprise supported platform.
2) Able to handle large amounts of data transfers.
3) Cross-platform compatible.
4) Ease of use w/ 3rd party software (i.e. Quest Software's TOAD) for data manuplation.

Cons:
1) Needs alot of RAM and Hard Drive space to run correctly. SCSI drives and ECC ram usually required due to Oracle specs and tuning issues.
2) Data dump cannot be done in text format. Strictly binary only.
3) Database must be tuned on a regular basis to run correctly, especially for multi-threads.
4) Express version does not have all features of basic Oracle release. Express version limited in number of processors, ram cap, database size cap, etc. Total cost of investment can exceed thousand dollar mark very easily.

MySQL vs Oracle
Some things unique to MySQL that Oracle does not offer include:

- storage engines, choices like InnoDB, MyISAM & Cluster
- fast connections
- easy replication
- overall ease of use
- lower total cost of investment

For more information, I recommend reading the following article based on database comparisons...

-- Silver
rotm_adm is offline   Reply With Quote