Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 01-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Testing out Engines for Eternea

My boss at Eternea is presently testing Gaming engines.
Tonight she dropped me a message about one of them...

I just wanted to let you guys know, we have an engine to begin running our game. However, there are a few compromises. One, the engine that is multiplayer compatible is not the updated version. The updated version is not multiplayer compatible, and it would require a programmer to be willing to take a few months to make it compatible. This engine would allow none programmers to build and create items in the game. The engine is called Quest. You can do a google search, and play around and see how it works.

If there's anyone with advice on how to handle Quest, or if there's better, please respond to this thread.

And quite possibly will also be recruiting for help with programming and building the MUD.

Thank you,

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough
Re: Testing out Engines for Eternea

Do you mean the Quest at textadventures.co.uk?

That's an interesting choice for a mud. Was the main criteria that non-programmers could build? If so there are probably better choices, like PlainText for example. I think that has a GUI web-based builder.

That said I am familiar with Quest and recently someone created a multiplayer experiment with the latest updated version. So the groundwork is already there, you wouldn't have to take a few months to get it going.

Can you explain here (or start a thread in the Quest forum at textadventures.co.uk) what you want your game to be?
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Darren Brimhall

Easily....

I'll just let the Boss do it.

What our game is, it is an interactive storytelling game, if you will, much like a Mush. It is NOT a dungeons and dragon sort of game. Because the game is a social storytelling game, role-play is mandatory. We want out players to be able to freely roam the world, or at least where doors are not locked, discovering plots and entangling themselves in political and social aspects of the game.

The environment over time would also need to be able to change to a degree, so to accommodate the changes that arise from role-play. Now, the changes may not need to be something sudden or major, but the game needs to be flexible enough to support plots. This is one reason we would like to have a system like or better than Quest. To make changes in the game, it would not require an in-depth or even moderate understanding of coding language to remove, add, or alter things in the game. You can easily add object, change descriptions, or add skills to the game, with little to no programming skills. Once the engine is actually up and running, the game could run without having to turn to a coder to do every little thing. Lets give an examine, have you ever seen Iron realm games? This would be the sort of game we would like to have, of course with far more role-playing and plot driven events. They have an incredible engine that would allow any person (staff) without programming skills to create objects, even, skills.

Now, I am not asking for something quite as advanced yet, but an engine like Quest sort of gets me what I want to see behind the stage and in stage/ environment.

So essentially something that is decent, easily exspandable, easily modifiable by those with little or no programming experience

Darren Brimhall
Old 01-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
Ide

It sounds like you're looking more for a mud with a decent OLC system, something where you can add skills. I don't think Quest is the right choice in this case for a mud; even though it uses a graphical editor and visual programming system, it's still basically programming, and to create a popular OLC for it would be a good amount of work because in Quest whenever you make changes you have to compile a new game file. You'd need a data-driven approach and the end result would have a lot of moving parts, not something that'd be easy for a non-programmer to manage without a lot of work beforehand.

Maybe Coffeemud is the right choice? From what I understand it has a very robust (web-based?) OLC.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #5
Darren Brimhall

I believe she's also trying Coffee, but Quest is the current focus of her attentions.

To which she'd like to know two things...

First, are the programmers of Quest willing to allow others access to the whole code?

and , has anyone run Quest on a Mac without the need to partition windows?

Darren Brimhall
Old 01-28-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
Ide

Yes, Quest is open source and hosted here,

As far as I know no one has run the Quest development kit on Mac. It's possible you could do it with Mono but from what I understand there are a few parts that need to be changed to make it work. Not a ton of work, but it hasn't been done, and the Quest developer's idea for Quest 6 is to go fully web-based for the development kit so it sounds like native desktop support is not a priority for him anymore.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
Darren Brimhall

Is the programmer, who developed a multi-player version of Quest 5, willing to share the code source for making it multiplayer compatible?

Darren Brimhall
Old 01-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #8
Ide

It's available on the Quest forum (just search for multiplayer). Basically it involves running a node.js server (which handles all the incoming connections) as a proxy bridge to the running Quest game.

I think you all might be trying to fit a square peg in a round hole here. Quest can do multiplayer, but it was never designed as a mud, it's meant for single-player text adventures. There's going to be a significant amount of work up front to make it work. I don't think Quest's pros (the GUI it seems like for you guys) outweigh the cons (everything else about it).
Old 03-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #9
Ares

Ares is on a distinguished road

Has anyone tried or considered the Evennia game engine? It's in Python. I am considering making a mud myself and am going to start looking into that engine.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #10
PlagueGiver

I don't know about Quest, but Inform 7 is extremely easy to use for nonprogrammers