Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 03-25-2005, 04:11 AM   #1
Vopisk

Vopisk is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

So let's see, where to begin my first post...

I've recently begun studying C++ and taking peeks at other languages and stuff doing my best to teach myself with what's available on the web because I'd like to do MUD coding somewhere down the road, I've downloaded a few codebases to look over as examples while I'm learning so I can understand the basic structure and what have you. Anyway, I've heard a lot of noise about the various types of storage and what not and I figured I'd pose the questions I'm having here to see if I can get some answers.

I understand the different SQLs because pretty much every language page has tutorials in regards to them, but I've also heard talk of using flatfiles for storage and don't really understand what they are, how they work and more specifically how they work in a MUD environment. If anyone can do me the favor of explaining a bit or pointing to a tutorial or the like somewhere I'd appreciate it.

Also, in addition to a clarification of how flatfiles work, if someone could give a (hopefully) un-biased break down of the strengths and weaknesses of any sort of data-storing system, it would be much appreciated.

Anyway, without further ado, the end of the post!
Vopisk
Vopisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:43 AM   #2
eiz

eiz is on a distinguished road
"Flat file" is generally used to refer to sequential, plain text storage. It's not a bad choice if your data set is small enough to fit in memory and you use some sort of rational encoding (e.g. xml, s-exps, yaml).

With that said, my storage method of choice for a MUD is an object-oriented database. Some MUD codebases are specifically designed around this (e.g. ColdC), but odds are there is an OODBMS available in your language of choice. Most C++ OODBMSes are commercial products, although there is GOODS and Brian Lindahl's upcoming MudDB, which may actually be completed sometime in this century. However, if you're flexible on language choice you have some options. In particular, I'm thinking of the .

Basically, how it works is you make classes that inherit persistent.Persistent. Then you simply make sure these objects are reachable from a 'root object'. ZODB then handles persistence and caching transparently. You just begin a transaction, modify your objects, and commit. For indexing, you create a persistent btree object (OOBTree) and stick your objects in it. It's probably the simplest possible way to store some data.
eiz is offline   Reply With Quote

MUD Storage Options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coding, Codebases, and Other Options Shane MUD Coding 42 06-03-2006 04:30 PM
Data Storage System darmir Advanced MUD Concepts 0 03-16-2006 12:33 PM
Telnet Options? Raewyn MUD Coding 1 02-05-2006 09:58 AM
Storage Modules Mierza Advanced MUD Concepts 8 02-14-2004 08:17 PM
Interactive configuration options Yui Unifex Advanced MUD Concepts 8 05-31-2002 02:51 PM